On Building Light Weight 4.3 1911

Wingman

Looking to build a lighter weight 4.3 1911 but also want it to be able to use green gas. My plan is to use a Tokyo Marui MEU frame, a Guarder OPS Tactical .45 slide, a Tokyo Marui 4.3 outer barrel and maybe a Maple Leaf hop-up chamber and barrel.

Would a steady diet of green gas have any adverse effects on the plastic frame?

I was concerned that the metal slide slamming back on the metal inner frame might stress the plastic frame as the 1911 plastic frame is not that thick.

I like the balance of it (going to be using the standard TM 4.3 hop-up chamber now but the Maple Leaf stuff is on the way). I'm generally using full metal 1911's (KWC and KJW's) or larger plastic frame/metal slide pistols like ASG P09's or Glocks. They are really good pistols, but I like the compact feel of the 4.3 1911. 

I keep waiting for a Colt Combat Commander "top end" to come out. 

Green Gas/Propane and Plastic Slide do not a good combo make (at least for me).. I blew up a ASG P07 w/plastic slide using Green Gas last year and a KWA M9 and SP2022 several years back. Wrecked a TM G26 Advance as well (ticked off about that one as it was one of my all time favorites. The frame now carries a HFC G17 slide and barrel combo and actually works super. Looks weird but ...).

Let me correct my original post: 

On 11/4/2018 at 11:26 AM, ED-SKaR said:

The frame doesn't care what gas you put in it. Green gas is what I've been feeding my *PLASTIC SLIDED* TM 1911 for years now and there's no sign of any damage except for where I've dropped it (and even that's just scratches on the outside)

I also have a TM hicappa that's been through a couple thousand rounds on green and it's stock except for the magazine gas routs.

IMO, buy a TM brand TM 1911 or hicappa, and use green.... and... that's it, enjoy.

On 11/7/2018 at 5:49 PM, renegadecow said:

4.3 will take green gas just fine, maybe throw in a recoil buffer for good measure. It's the 5.1 with the heavy *albatross* bo-mar sight that likes to break (because of how heavy the sight is).

^this

even metal slides break to the very same reason if they see some high volume usage

Archived