KJW Glock 23 light striking issue.

ninja master of coffee

I'm having some issues with my KJW Glock 23 (plastic slide version) and light striking. I'm running it on abbey predator gas (red bottle). When I test fire it at home it runs fine, gets pretty good gas efficieny, locks on empty, and has a few more shots worth of gas left. In game it's a different story, it very frequently either won't fire, or light strikes when I try to use it in game or at the end of the day. Now, a couple of things for context, I live in the south of Spain so it tends to warm up quite a lot between morning and midday or early afternoon, even in winter, so it's occured to me that a likely cause is the magazine warming up and the gas hitting a higher pressure, and therefore making the exhaust valve too stiff to move. I have tried running the pistol on 144a but that just creates other issues with the gun not cycling properly due to too low pressure. I'm thinking of getting an enhanced hammer spring to deal with the light striking (it either doesn't fire, or fires but doesn't cycle the slide, becoming effectively like a single shot springer). I am a little confused as to which enhanced hammer spring would be the correct one, I know that KSC/KWA type springs won't work, but a lot of the Marui/WE/KJW springs only mention the Glock 17 and 18 models and I seem to recall that internally the KJW G23 is actually patterned after the Marui Glock 26, whether or not that means a different hammer spring I have no idea.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. Also, please no "Just buy a new gun, hurrr hurrr hurrr." Registering new replicas here in Spain is a pain in the *albartroth* I'd rather not go through unless absolutely necessary.

Edit: I used to own exactly this model in the UK, always ran well then. Other people here seem to have a similar issue with their KJW Glock 23s...

I'd try Green Gas or Propane (if you can..although you wont like the smell indoors). While I've never used it, I have heard that the pressure can be high on Red Gas. You are correct the the G23 innards are based on the TM G26. Possible for that set up, Red Gas pressure is too high and the hammer doesnt have enough power to activate the valve.

I've built two G19's using the KJW G23 as a base and Guarder parts for most of the build (including some of their magazines). The Aluminium slide pistol does well with Green Gas but the Steel slide pistol is not nearly as efficient (actually it stinks) and will likely replace that slide some other time (it's just too much weight).

I would also try a new hammer spring. That is one part I've not replaced, so I am not sure if there is any difference in the G26/G23 spring and the G17/G18c spring.

Please keep us up-to-date on this.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep you posted on this though I won't be doing anything before the new year. I'll try and find out some info on the hammer springs before then.

Edit: Guarder do an enhanced Marui Glock 26 recoil and hammer spring set, whether or not the hammer spring actually differs from the Glock 17/18 type I have no idea, it looks pretty similar in the photo and doesn't have the KSC/KWA style "tail" on the spring (not quite sure what else to call it). Still, the set is only about €6 so I'll probably just buy that.

TM, WE and KJW id stock are a no, as on the back of their magazines (where the fake cartridge count holes are) there is a very small rectangular block, about half way down, that rides into a slot in the inside of the pistol magazine well of their G17 and G18 pistols. You can take a file and easily remove it and you are good to go.

I also have HFC G17 magazines (which are surprisingly good magazines by the way), which dont have that little block, and they fit just fine.

When I get a chance, I will grab all my different mags and pistols to check for sure. Give me a day or two.

Hi Colin. Yes, sorry I should have mentioned that. Yeah, I've done exactly that and it runs once some gas is vented. Useful to know Wingman, I might try and track down an HFC Glock 17 magazine in that case, guarder make the extensions to cover the extra length of the longer magazines. I'll see how the new hammer spring helps in the new year, hopefully it sorts things out, it would also mean it's a solution for other people who are having the same issue where I play.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was able to test the Glock out yesterday at a game. It now uses a lot of gas each shot, and tended to freeze up after 6 or 7 shots, presumably because there's a lot of gas vapour going through the BBU. One thing to note, yesterday was reasonably cool and very humid which probably wasn't helping anything. I'll try with the upgraded spring a couple more times then rethink this if it's still not working correctly.

I got to use the Glock in more clement weather today, around 16 degrees, and not horribly humid. Ran fine, using red gas, fired an entire magazine and locked on empty. Dry fired another couple of times and the slide continued to lock back. One thing, the range is really low so maybe a hop issue...

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, it seems the hammer spring was causing light striking in hot weather. I need to test it more extensively and chronograph it once the magazine has warmed up some as the lack of range is concerning. Even with the hop turned up it's just not shooting that far and has a trajectory like it has no hop. I've checked and the hop is dropping when I adjust it so I'm not really sure what's going on there... I think at this stage I don't want to put too much more money into it, though if anyone has any experience or advice I'm interested to know. 

I decided to chronograph the Glock today. This was indoors, using .25 gram BBs. With the hop set it clocked in at an average of 230fps, so quite low. I figured this might be the hop being over set so I turned it off, resulting in an velocity of... 230fps. Now, something I've noticed is that the hop makes no real difference to the range, apparent FPS, or trajectory. I spoke to a friend and he suggested that it could be an over volumed barrel, as that would drop the FPS and interfere with the hop actually doing anything. I've also checked that the hop actually functions when I adjust it and it does, so, maybe a replacement barrel. Any suggestions on brands? Thanks.

Plastic and C02 dont mix well at all. I've heard tell of several who have tried with the slides splitting after just a few shots. I'm also not sure how the nozzle would hold up to pressure as well (remember, it is the same nozzle set up that is used in the G26). I would get a Guarder aluminium G19 slide and barrel (stay away from the steel as it is way to heavy) and use G17 magazines when your looking for a good number of shots at any one time.

I would also try changing the hop-up rubber in your pistol. Its an easy and not too expensive fix that can do wonders.

Ok 84mm ml hop and barrel. Using the detonator threaded outer barrel to cover could have gone a little longer. Hadron fang plate nub ,I got it free I tend make my own as it's free and I'm tight. LPE route shims and 9ball routes. Think you can get ones to fit glocks. On full hop sending 0.25g nice an straight a good 50-60m ish at a vague guess. Not bad at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to do some testing today, the results are kind of annoying.

ML barrel and hop rubber averaged 220 FPS.

KJW barrel and hop rubber averaged 235 FPS.

KJW barrel and ML hop rubber averaged 230 FPS.

ML barrel and KJW hop rubber didn't fit together.

I noticed that with the ML barrel, the rubber sits quite far back in the chamber. I think this might be causing problems. Like an idiot I didn't order the ML hop chamber, so I might go ahead and do that. 

Archived