Anyone still around from the old days?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anyone's interested in nostalgia, I've just rehosted JustPistols. You can find it at http://justpistols.epizy.com Apologies for typos/broken links/etc/etc/etc... Cheers.

So for anyone interested, I played again! And yes, I had a great time! Not sure I'll play regularly, but nice to dip my toes back into the gaming side of it all. Thought playing with only GBBRs w

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Gigueand said:

Well, Titleist did get into some legal trouble for shipping ITAR restricted parts to a member of a biker gang in Finland so...

What the hell? I mean, anyone active on any Airsoft or AR-15 forum back in the mid to late 2000s had heard of him.

I used to follow him for all his MLCS kit. Crazy story. I just had a Google, and read a local journos article. Couldn’t make it up!

On 1/14/2019 at 5:38 PM, Gigueand said:

Arnie's was truly a great community back in "the day" with all sorts of characters - TheCrunchBunny, Sledge, Stealthbomber, Magz, MasakariJoe, Titleist, DarkLite, CKinnerly - some of whom are still around.

giphy.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
13 hours ago, Delta_Knight said:

Where do you shoot Katotaka? I'm at Doubletap on and off throughout the year, but I'm an absolute rookie still. 

I do have APSC shooter qualification but didn't really participate too often, stopped playing before the switch to IPSC/AA member system, now my main activity is 3GN at the hard floor club.

Edited by Katotaka
  • Like 1

June 06 for me , not really bothered at all about Facebook groups getting shut down much prefer the ‘forum’ format , I’ve always thought (could be completely wrong , and probably am !) but you have to think a wee bit more to post on a forum compared to Facebook , Facebook it’s just tap , tap , tap sent ! Where as here theres just that tiny bit more work involved in sending a comment and there’s definitely more older “no txt speak , talk properly you little *suitcase* !” Sort of users on forums AND there’s a lot less abuse than you find on ‘social media’ groups ? Which again I’m more than happy with .👍

Edited by druid799

It's just the nature of social media.  FB and the like is designed for constant activity and specifically obfuscates previous discussions.  So you you get the same questions pop up every few weeks.  If you're on a local group, you get the constant 'where is the best Chinese that delivers' etc.  What with their stupid sorting algorithm and actually hiding stuff (I've tried to search for something I saw a few hours/days before and it doesn't show up)

I really don't understand why people insist on using such a broken platform for airsoft purposes.  Especially with how FB is so pathetically anti gun and we have amazing forums that do the job 1000 times better. 

3 hours ago, hitmanNo2 said:

So you you get the same questions pop up every few weeks

100 Percent this.

I have only been involved in one Facebook group, was for Star Wars costuming. I got absolutely sick of the same old questions being asked every few days, to the point where it gave me no added value, as a long time member to stay in it. So I quit.

And Facebook Groups are so whimsical, there is rarely anything substantial. 

I can imagine there Airsoft ones are just 2 types of people:

• Clueless teenagers asking same old
  • Wealthy person who quietly drops a pic of an expensive toy *A bazillion million like this*

In the 2 days I have been visiting Arnies again, I have had more structured conversation than any Facebook group has given me 😂

Edited by Delta_Knight
  • Like 2

Don't know how long I've been coming here. It's long enough that I bought Arnies TM G3 SG1 (still got it in the pile).

Looking at the skirmish field the levels of people haven't really changed much but social media is different for the newer generation of softers. Imgur/Reddit/Facebook have diluted the sources of information and probably explain why not so many people come to the forums. Photobucket being a *rickroll* and charging people to host photos hasn't helped.

Airsoft forums UK seems to get a decent amount of new posts and reminds me of the early days with lots of new player questions (Wot am best gun!). No idea what happened to Zeroin and who remembers the old UKAZ before it became something else and then died?

Thing is about forums its down to you and me to keep them alive. Got a new gun? take the time to write a review. Got the latest fancy chest rig or got one made? tell us about it. I use facebook but I'm not a big fan. I prefer to have all the things of interest in 1 page with links. A bit like the pictures thread on here. Having to ask to join a group and then scroll through 500 pish posts until you find what you are interested in soon becomes annoying.

I also have a suspicion that the weak pound hasn't been kind to airsofters over the last few years. I remember buying from Asia when the pound would get you 2 dollars. Much cheapness on the ACM AEG's that started pumping out of the Far East. You are pretty much paying double the price now for a piece of junk but you didn't mind so much when it was 50 quid and not 100.

So that I don't end up eating my own words I really should write a review on the TM Glock 19 thats been staring at me for the last couple of weeks.....

11 hours ago, mightyjebus said:

Thing is about forums its down to you and me to keep them alive.

This!

But also, and I hate to pin this on age, dedicated users of forums, who are of a certain age, have just gown up and they now have different priorities.

They still may play Airsoft but they have little time to discuss it or maybe they have little inclination to do so now.

I call it Airsoft Fatigue, you just don't get the same level of enthusiasm you once did over new toys.

New players who come to the scene, they grew up with social media, writing stuff on forums is just not their cuppa.

• Like 4

I joined in 2002, been softing for 17 years. Not my original user name, when the servers changed and the content was lost, I didn't rejoin for a while as the place seemed to be being run as the personal playground of the "cool crew" who had a nasty habit of ganging up on anyone who disagreed with them. When the forum was changed so you had to be registered to view outside the Newbie Zone I rejoined. 

Most of the idiots  have been banned or left, and Arnies is back to what it used to be when so first joined.

• 3 weeks later...

Problem is of course that the immediate gratification of FB stuff stole traffic from the forums, but now the FB groups are getting cut and there an awful lot of people for whom facebook literally is the whole internet.  The new social media giants are not friendly to anything that looks like a gun, but everyone is on their platforms, bit of a quandry.  I hear discord mentioned somewhat often but I've never been on to it really.

I think the thing with YT/FB/IG is an pretty large portion of airsofters only seem interested in following 'celebrities' and what they post and none of those people are on forums or actually active anywhere outside of their own personal pages/accounts.  With a forum you just had a bunch of people talking who were basically all on equal footing; sure you'd have the folks with fancy stuff and a lot of posts who'd perhaps garner a little more attention than others but there was no great disparity I wouldn't say.  Now you've either got 50k+ followers and you only hang out with other celebrities, or you're at the bottom of the pile looking up and wishing you got free *suitcase* all the time to post about (generalising obviously) and that creates a fair old disparity.

• Like 3
On 1/15/2019 at 6:04 PM, jal3 said:

When #arniesairsoft meant quakenet not instagram...then it died...then facebook killed phpbb...

🍻

Nowadays the done thing seems to be discord, I actually set one up over a year ago and got side tracked... Let's see what happens eh... https://discord.gg/vNzf9jW

I've been on here for ages, can't actually remember the exact year I joined but I'm pretty sure I was on here when I was at university and that was pre-2006. Still come here for advice on technical stuff and to see of Renegade Cow has built anything new. I don't really post on FB airsoft groups, partly because I don't really want it linked to my facebook profile too heavily for a variety of reasons, and partly because the level of discourse on a lot of facebook groups is beyond idiotic. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, ninja master of coffee said:

I've been on here for ages, can't actually remember the exact year I joined but I'm pretty sure I was on here when I was at university and that was pre-2006. Still come here for advice on technical stuff and to see of Renegade Cow has built anything new. I don't really post on FB airsoft groups, partly because I don't really want it linked to my facebook profile too heavily for a variety of reasons, and partly because the level of discourse on a lot of facebook groups is beyond idiotic. 

I remember it well, it was July 9, 2006 when you joined (No I didn't look it up on your profile, what you talkin bout?)

23 hours ago, cazboab said:

Nowadays the done thing seems to be discord, I actually set one up over a year ago and got side tracked... Let's see what happens eh... https://discord.gg/vNzf9jW

joined. one of 5 users. It's a start.

On 2/3/2019 at 8:38 AM, cazboab said:

its all weird ,I don't like it 😐

Edited by heroshark

"I remember it well, it was July 9, 2006 when you joined (No I didn't look it up on your profile, what you talkin bout?)"

That (I think) makes sense as that would be my final year at university. That said, I do remember the server going down at some point and losing a ton of users and having to re-join, though I don't know if that was before or after that or if it genuinely lost my profile permanently. 

Edited by ninja master of coffee

Aug9 (or Sep8, not sure which order the dates are in tapatalk) ‘04, seems likely correct and would make me an oldtimer. But I don’t post so much. Not to mention that I have been away for few times, not leaving Airsoft, but not paying any attention to forums at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still lurking...

Honestly couldn't tell you when I joined as it all reset when the forum crashed. I still remember the arguments as some had to change their usernames as they'd been snapped up by new members. 

Only FB page I really use for Airsoft related research is The Full 9. Everyone else seems to want me to like and subscribe to their in depth appreciation of a cardboard box, with about 30 seconds of vagueness regarding its actual contents.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Smoke said:

I'm still lurking...

Honestly couldn't tell you when I joined as it all reset when the forum crashed. I still remember the arguments as some had to change their usernames as they'd been snapped up by new members. 

Only FB page I really use for Airsoft related research is The Full 9. Everyone else seems to want me to like and subscribe to their in depth appreciation of a cardboard box, with about 30 seconds of vagueness regarding its actual contents.

And my Spring-soft page for the more heavy airsoft related material.

• Like 1