Anyone still around from the old days?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anyone's interested in nostalgia, I've just rehosted JustPistols. You can find it at http://justpistols.epizy.com Apologies for typos/broken links/etc/etc/etc... Cheers.

So for anyone interested, I played again! And yes, I had a great time! Not sure I'll play regularly, but nice to dip my toes back into the gaming side of it all. Thought playing with only GBBRs w

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Cannonfodder80 said:

I think the lack of night games in winter is probably because the lower temperatures and generally crappier weather put some people off. Just think how often numbers drop at daytime games when the weather turnsĀ 

We used to have the odd night game in the snow.

Ā 

It was awesome!

There was a time when I was younger (and just starting out really) that I played more in the winter and snow then the summer.Ā  I worked at the golf course next door in the summertime, and since my birthday is this month that was usually when I got the newest thing to be excited to go out and use.Ā  Local field used to have trenches at one point of the field that swallowed people up, and I remember sitting in one half filled with snow and water and still having a blast.

Back then I was a furnace in winter, now I am bundled up in blankets whenever possible.

Edited by Gunmane
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2019 at 11:30 PM, Delta_Knight said:

Have been thinking whether to get involved in the skirmishing side again.

Ā 

Can't believe it was Jan I started this threadĀ šŸ˜…

A year on, and I've just accepted an invite to go to a local game at the start of Jan.Ā 

A bit nervous, being away from it for a decade, but hoping it is a smooth transition into something fun. Wish me luck!Ā šŸ˜‚

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

So for anyone interested, I played again! And yes, I had a great time! Not sure I'll play regularly, but nice to dip my toes back into the gaming side of it all.

Thought playing with only GBBRs would suck, but actually enjoyed it, and the short game styles didn't disadvantage me too much.

49367553552_c9040dbeec_b.jpg

49367553502_1f15e6521c_b.jpg

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

OMG, this place still lives..... Even my password works... !

I joined in 2003! Can you believe that!!! Ā I've still got most of my kit, a couple of TM Recoils, one Tac'd Systema, a couple of Western Arms pistols, 2 Glocks, a TM MP5, a custom AEG which I put together and blimeyĀ an electric drum mag and one of those Mosquito Moulds grenade launcher. Oh not to mention a real aim point and and L2 sight (what possessed me to buy RS sights lol)... and a sh@t load of BB's!

Anyway, I'm gonna get back into Airsoft this years so I can lose my beer belly. Running around woodland is one way of burning calories.... right?

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

After a 5-6 year hiatus I am back here on the forum.Ā 

I am keen to find out what has changed in the meantime - I'm guessing airsoft guns are hydrogen fuel cell powered these days and fire vegan friendly rounds?

Have any manufacturersĀ gotten round to making a Thompson with a 'proper' M1928 style receiver?

On 1/23/2020 at 10:03 PM, Kenworth W900 said:

I am keen to find out what has changed in the meantime - I'm guessing airsoft guns are hydrogen fuel cell powered these days and fire vegan friendly rounds?

Have any manufacturersĀ gotten round to making a Thompson with a 'proper' M1928 style receiver?

One, Ares of all people. Think KA was supposed to do a GBB version at some point.

Not a whole lot has changed...there's a few RS manufacturer's that are leaning in quite heavily into the hobby via licencing e.g. Krytac have an AEG Kriss in the field, do a range of M4s and they also have .22cal real rifles that you can buy in the UK...that look an awfully lot like re purposed AEG parts. Umarex are slightly less annoying in that you don't get half a bible printed down the side of your VFC HK416 and VFC is churning out plenty of German pistols 'legitimately' rather than via 'Stark Arms'.

Mosfets as standard is becoming a little more common.

Biggest change in AEGs imo has probably been the advancement/normalising of the 'flat hop' concept. We've moved on from the firefly 4 tooth/KM Head notched V type hops to larger contact patches in the hop sleeve and rather than H shaped buckings the cool kids use D shaped ones where the flat side contacts the outside of the hop rubber.

And the tactical wardrobe scene all seems to be high cut plate carriers and go faster chest rigs.

• Like 1
On 1/23/2020 at 10:03 PM, Kenworth W900 said:

The King Arms M1928 is proper - right dimensions and engraving etc. I love mine.Ā http://www.kingarms.com/product_detail.php?id=260

Ā 

Oh and I joined about ten years ago but don't skirmish ATM.

Edited by harborne blue

The Tokyo Marui Next Generation Recoil Shocks seems to be quite interesting. They seems to average Ā£500-Ā£600 for an AEG. I swear in the good olde days a recoil would set you back Ā£350 tops.... I know coz I have 2 of themĀ stock SCAR L and a heavily upgradedĀ M4 SOCOM. (which I can't recall what I've done to it lol). I just ordered 2 new lips from the component shop and both guns are alive. By the way, how does one get rid of old LIPOS?

Ā 

IfĀ anyone knows the difference between the new Nect Gen Recoil Shocks and the older recoil shock model I'd be quite interested to hear.

Ā 

Hoping to do my first skirmish (in nearly 8 yrs) at Finmere Airsoft in Bucks at the end of Feb...

Ā 

1 hour ago, TheFull9 said:

They were always called NGRS, nothing's changed with them (as isĀ TM's habit).Ā  I'm not sure they were ever cheap as you're remembering though lol.

Mine on the box says Recoil Shock which is why I was curious what the Next Generation meant. I've looked online at some recent gearbox teardown of the NGRS and it looks identical to what I can remember on mine way back in 2012... Let's face it the V2 recoil gearbox is bullet proof and they can't really improve on something which was good, other than replace the monkey metal with a better alloy.... God I remember snapping a couple of Marui gearboxes in the early days lol...

I'm not sure about different packaging, but yeah as I say there's never been like a Gen 2 or anything where the entire line changed.Ā  The AK models had a revamp specifically where they changed to having stop-on-empty and obviously they've released many more AR variants and the Minimi is interesting but that's all.Ā  We can but hope that one day they'll move over to setting the guns up with deans and mosfets etc vs the 8.4v nimh obsolescence they're still happy to sit on (obviously you can run them on 7.4 lipos, I know and I do,Ā but they're not selling lipos or really building the guns with them in mind).

• Like 1
On 1/27/2020 at 10:15 PM, RSM said:

One, Ares of all people. Think KA was supposed to do a GBB version at some point.

Not a whole lot has changed...there's a few RS manufacturer's that are leaning in quite heavily into the hobby via licencing e.g. Krytac have an AEG Kriss in the field, do a range of M4s and they also have .22cal real rifles that you can buy in the UK...that look an awfully lot like re purposed AEG parts. Umarex are slightly less annoying in that you don't get half a bible printed down the side of your VFC HK416 and VFC is churning out plenty of German pistols 'legitimately' rather than via 'Stark Arms'.

Mosfets as standard is becoming a little more common.

Biggest change in AEGs imo has probably been the advancement/normalising of the 'flat hop' concept. We've moved on from the firefly 4 tooth/KM Head notched V type hops to larger contact patches in the hop sleeve and rather than H shaped buckings the cool kids use D shaped ones where the flat side contacts the outside of the hop rubber.

And the tactical wardrobe scene all seems to be high cut plate carriers and go faster chest rigs.

Go faster chest rigs? Ā Is that the same concept as go faster stripes on a 1.2 Corsa?Ā 

Interesting point on the hop rubbers. I have a firefly in my Marui Recoil. I believe it was the best at the time circa 2012? So things have now moved on since then? Perhaps I should replace it?

• 1 month later...

Crikey on crikey fiddle sticks. Arnies has really hit the skids since I was last here. Less than a dozen users logged in. Back in the day you'd have hundreds logged in at any one time.

Still, there's always memories of "Glock Cakes" to tide us over............

Failing that, we all die of Corona Virus.

Edited by creepingfear
None of your damn business.
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Just logged on for the first time in 7 years, havenā€™t scored in 12 I think... lockdown makes us do funny things.Ā 
Ā 

Decided after racing cars for 10 years I can afford a side hobby, so itā€™s time for some more softing.Ā 
Ā 

... no letā€™s build an SSGĀ 35rps reliable ROF monster and get back on the horse!Ā 
Ā 

... oh wait, all the sites are closed.Ā 

Edited by ***Ice***
  • 2 weeks later...