Anyone still around from the old days?

On 3/23/2019 at 11:12 AM, garry said:

I've been here since 2005.

I liked the old days with those like Havoc / Hissing Sid / Snowman / SpedzFX / R22 / Hitman etc.

Hissing Sid! I wonder if I still have the Ballad of Hissing Sid that I rewrote when he was banned.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anyone's interested in nostalgia, I've just rehosted JustPistols. You can find it at http://justpistols.epizy.com Apologies for typos/broken links/etc/etc/etc... Cheers.

So for anyone interested, I played again! And yes, I had a great time! Not sure I'll play regularly, but nice to dip my toes back into the gaming side of it all. Thought playing with only GBBRs w

Posted Images

My friend has a 4 bed appartment in Edinburgh. Its not got much in the way of furniture as he doesn’t live there at the moment. We could possibly use that to crash on mass if we all fired him a tenner, then carpool to a site.

And yes I am totaly 1 million percent up for it. I might even try convince Rhino to come moderate from a deckchair.

• Haha 1

I pop in now and then, but things seem pretty quiet.

I still have most of my collection, but being a 'Chairsofter', none of it's been out of a box in 5 years+ - Chances are all the seals are buggered and they're just a load of paperweights now.

I was inspired in my early days by DumboRAT, with his fantastic reviews and amazing knowledge. but I'm not sure he was an Arnie's regular.

I recall he was a surgeon in training, so I guess that's what he does these days.

Nice to see Garry still around (one of the few people I met in person in the airsoft world, along with some of the AI Mag team and Mike and John from Elite, who shipped me boxes of shiny Western Arms goodies to review on a regular basis - Ah, heady days!) and most of the names he mentioned are familiar.

Other names I remember are Wege, BigAl, Renegade Cow, Hitman No2 and Utty (I'll admit I've done a bit of trawling and see a few of those old names still active). 

I'm sure few here will remember me and even my reviews have disappeared from the web now, so it all seems a long time ago...

Facebook has killed a lot of Web Content - I've hosted a non-Airsoft related website for 20+ years and someone was looking for a document on a FB group recently - A number of people commented it used to be on my website, but it seemed no-one actually bothered using a search engine to find it still is! :)

I think it's the same mentality that makes binge watching box sets rather than waiting a week to see what Jack Bauer was going to blow up next the modern fad! Is it any wonder people can spread 'alternative facts' so easily if FB is the only place people look? :(

These days I spend most of my gun related time watching Forgotten Weapon's videos on YouTube - Very good content if you've not seen it!

M

Edited by snowman
  • Like 4

2005, feels like a lifetime ago.

Still have my gear but been out of the game since the last MorningAfter Event so thats like 9 years now.

While it wasn't the sole reason, the VCRA put a massive dampner on things and i feel thats had a chilling effect for new players too.

• Like 1

Hey guys, I've just started to get back into airsofting after a friend of mine recently started.

It's got to have been at least 6 years since I last played, after breaking my foot which put me out of action for a while.

Thought I'd get onto good old Arnies to swot up on the latest tech but I've found it a bit quiet.

• Like 1

Still around, joined in 2006 and pop in every now and again, moved twice, got married and had two kids.

I miss the old days of the forums and when my wife and I use to play at Xsite Airsoft in Wycombe.

Had a bit of a two year gap but just coming back in to play.

A lot has changed, I tended to lurk alot 😉

Ta

Rich

On 4/16/2019 at 8:10 PM, rwoodcock01 said:

I miss the old days of the forums and when my wife and I use to play at Xsite Airsoft in Wycombe.

I used to play at Xsite! Last game was maybe 2009ish for me. 

Quick Google, seems they're long gone now? Anyone know what happened? 

Michael

The company with the X-Site name stopped running games there a year or 2 ago.  I played a game maybe 6 months prior to it closing just out of happenstance and it was really run down, a lot of the structures were unsafe and taped off.  Whether that was through lack of any profit to be able to repair them or just not bothering/poorly managed I've no idea.

Had to dig around a bit to find the info and it was confusing for a sec, but this different bunch is running that High Wycombe site at the time or writing it seems.  Whether they're taking any better care of the place I don't know.

https://www.facebook.com/skirmishwycombeairsoft/

The X-Site page changed their name to Sentinel and run the Outpost.

https://www.facebook.com/SentinelAirsoftUK/

• Thanks 1

not had a proper shufty on here for a good while. i'm relatively new and have a fox of teh dessert pistol. only been to the odd airsoft event over the last decade or so. i recognise some of the old crew (but whatever happened to r22master, antagon, crazy_harry and TaQ? answers on a postcard plz ;)  )

• Like 1
On 4/10/2019 at 6:48 AM, snowman said:

I pop in now and then, but things seem pretty quiet.

I still have most of my collection, but being a 'Chairsofter', none of it's been out of a box in 5 years+ - Chances are all the seals are buggered and they're just a load of paperweights now.

I was inspired in my early days by DumboRAT, with his fantastic reviews and amazing knowledge. but I'm not sure he was an Arnie's regular.

I recall he was a surgeon in training, so I guess that's what he does these days.

Nice to see Garry still around (one of the few people I met in person in the airsoft world, along with some of the AI Mag team and Mike and John from Elite, who shipped me boxes of shiny Western Arms goodies to review on a regular basis - Ah, heady days!) and most of the names he mentioned are familiar.

Other names I remember are Wege, BigAl, Renegade Cow, Hitman No2 and Utty (I'll admit I've done a bit of trawling and see a few of those old names still active). 

I'm sure few here will remember me and even my reviews have disappeared from the web now, so it all seems a long time ago...

Facebook has killed a lot of Web Content - I've hosted a non-Airsoft related website for 20+ years and someone was looking for a document on a FB group recently - A number of people commented it used to be on my website, but it seemed no-one actually bothered using a search engine to find it still is! :)

I think it's the same mentality that makes binge watching box sets rather than waiting a week to see what Jack Bauer was going to blow up next the modern fad! Is it any wonder people can spread 'alternative facts' so easily if FB is the only place people look? :(

These days I spend most of my gun related time watching Forgotten Weapon's videos on YouTube - Very good content if you've not seen it!

M

I have been in airsoft since 1994,  and was there during the airsoftzone days. 

My old login was "Commander Keen". I remember ol' DumboRat as I followed up on a number of his reviews, and I am still friends with Wege who is now in Australia  - the land of no-airsoft.

I still go out and airsoft, and I have a collection of 50 airsoft guns all upgraded and tuned.  

But my definition of airsoft is no longer just running about shooting, it has become a way to building community; strategy formation, teambuilding, leadership coaching, and promoting self awareness.  Designing processes and frameworks, tactics and equipment doctrine, helping others plan and evaluate games and improving team performance.  For me this is much more purposeful and enjoyable, far better than having to play games where things descend into chaos every hour.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n
On 4/27/2019 at 8:38 AM, rhino said:

not had a proper shufty on here for a good while. i'm relatively new and have a fox of teh dessert pistol. only been to the odd airsoft event over the last decade or so. i recognise some of the old crew (but whatever happened to r22master, antagon, crazy_harry and TaQ? answers on a postcard plz ;) )

I still remember seeing that pic of you with your old TM SPAS12 way back in 2004-05. I thought it was the coolest thing ever, so I saved my allowance and eventually bought one.

On 4/11/2019 at 8:22 PM, Apex said:

2005, feels like a lifetime ago.

Still have my gear but been out of the game since the last MorningAfter Event so thats like 9 years now.

While it wasn't the sole reason, the VCRA put a massive dampner on things and i feel thats had a chilling effect for new players too.

Yes this is massive. Its easy to say 'just get your three games in' which is fine if you are over 18, but it really *fruitcage*ed over younger players, and to be honest I reckon a big % of airsofters back in the day got into it when they started getting thier first paychecks aged 16-17ish. Me and my friends got our airsoft guns aged 13-15 and it peaked at 16-17 before we all went to uni etc. A mate of mine was flipping airsoft guns from zeroin and making a good profit too. Its hard to do that nowadays. My dad would drop us all off at GZ then come collect us at the end. Now i see VERY PATIENT parents waiting in the safe zone ALL DAY for reasons im not exactly sure and it breaks my heart!! If I'm going to rant i think alot of sites have done a shameful job of accomodating younger players - there should be a system where a younger player can 'rent' a gun of thier choice which is owned by, and kept at the site.

As for here i've said it before and im not THAT bitter but the main reason this forum is dead is cause sales were restricted, and whilst they are open now i think its just too late. Yes facebook plays a part but AFUK is thriving and zeroin is still the best place for classifieds.

VCRA aside I think airsoft in the UK is better then its ever been. So if anyone is thinking about getting back into it i really do reccomend it. Everything is better and for the most part cheaper,there are more sites and importantly way more cool sites... eg portsmouth has ucap bunker (d day tunnels) ucap redemption (former prison) and south coast cqb (former army barracks as seen in bad lad's army). 

• Like 1