Army G36 Feedback?

From what I remember of the first gen R36s:

100% clones of the WE
Nozzle isn't great, can be a bit fragile, but the WE is a drop in replacement
Stock Hop up rubber is pretty gash, would replace with a maple leaf
Magazines generally good but sometimes come out of the box with leaks, in most cases simply a case of strip down, regrease, rebuild

• Like 1

Yeah I’d read the we part. Charging handles seem to be a major concern on both but can’t find a pic of a broken one!

Deception rubber ordered with it as I figured the army one would be gash. Decepticon as consistency and accuracy more important than range.

Thanks Dark, will post plenty of pics, when I get it it’s getting cleaned up and set for a good game next weekend. Snow permitting!

No worries, I've seen a few broken charging handles but that seemed to be down to the hamfistedness ratings of the owners.

They have the same barrel wobble issues as the WE, but FG make parts to fix that:
http://fg-airsoft.com/en/barrels-and-related/49-ecrou-de-canon-pour-g39-gris-sombre.html
http://fg-airsoft.com/en/barrels-and-related/51-ecrou-de-canon-pour-g39-gris-sombre.htm

Impressions so far (no range or game time on it)

Overall build quality seems good. You could probably tell someone it was the WE version and unless they owned one they wouldn’t know. Plastic is a nice rough finish, not smooth and empty feeling like a JG.

Bolt has the same issue as the MP7 from Marui. With the bolt at the rear, gun raised, loaded mag in, sending the bolt home is rather pathetic and did lead to a couple of light strikes. Since finding a 110-120% spring seems difficult, I’ve found another spring the same diameter but shorter, and used that as a buffer at the end. Improvement for sure but still not ideal. Feed lips on the mags aren’t too hard and stiff.

Mags are a pain in the backside, but for design reasons, not Airsoft ones. They weigh nearly a kg each, and all the tabs and rims on them mean a 5.56 magazine won’t fit a standard 5.56 pouch. No idea if a magwell conversion is actually possible as I’m sure I’ve seen purchasing G36 parts is illegal in this country.

Takedown is ridiculously simple. I have a newfound respect for the real platform!

Front rails removed, rote he slapped on, MOE rail and an X200 put on (better positioning)

All that’s left before Sunday’s outing is to change the hip rubber and install a restrictive disc, although if I don’t get the time it shouldn’t be too big a problem, as I’m only going to use it indoors anyway.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Got Wood? said:

Impressions so far (no range or game time on it)

Overall build quality seems good. You could probably tell someone it was the WE version and unless they owned one they wouldn’t know. Plastic is a nice rough finish, not smooth and empty feeling like a JG.

Bolt has the same issue as the MP7 from Marui. With the bolt at the rear, gun raised, loaded mag in, sending the bolt home is rather pathetic and did lead to a couple of light strikes. Since finding a 110-120% spring seems difficult, I’ve found another spring the same diameter but shorter, and used that as a buffer at the end. Improvement for sure but still not ideal. Feed lips on the mags aren’t too hard and stiff.

Mags are a pain in the backside, but for design reasons, not Airsoft ones. They weigh nearly a kg each, and all the tabs and rims on them mean a 5.56 magazine won’t fit a standard 5.56 pouch. No idea if a magwell conversion is actually possible as I’m sure I’ve seen purchasing G36 parts is illegal in this country.

Takedown is ridiculously simple. I have a newfound respect for the real platform!

Front rails removed, rote he slapped on, MOE rail and an X200 put on (better positioning)

All that’s left before Sunday’s outing is to change the hip rubber and install a restrictive disc, although if I don’t get the time it shouldn’t be too big a problem, as I’m only going to use it indoors anyway.

Magwell conversions aren't possible, alas, as the gas routers and feed lips etc don't line up.

Are you having issues with the bolt not seating into battery properly?

In terms of bolt catch - the WE's system is actually unrealistic - the real G36 will lock open on empty, but there's no bolt release button - the button that WE uses as a bolt release is actually a manual bolt hold open for manually locking the bolt open for inspection - you just pull the cocking handle to the rear and let go.

Magazine wise, yeah, the side lugs are annoying as *suitcase* - there are plenty of pictures of KSK members in the field either running G36 Pmags or having cut the side lugs off and taped up the mags. It's not too bad if you're running the german army g36 pouches but literally any other pouch will snag like hell.

Ah I didn’t know the button was unrealistic. I’ll be locking the handle to the left and using it more like an MP5 style. Release and let go is what I’ve been doing.

I can get the mags into M4 single pouches if they’re right way up, with no base plate on.

Will give it a good go this Sunday and see how she does

So after a couple of indoor games yesterday.

Temperature was 4°c, windy, and wet. The rifle could reliably pump out half a mag with individual or double taps, with rests in between. Any more than that and it struggled. It’s fair to expect this given the price point and the weather in my opinion. I did nothing to warm or protect the mags from the cold.

Rifle chrono’d 280 with the white FPS restrictive disc on .25s running propane (I found an old van in the house that was still full!)

Shimming the spring with a second, harder spring I think caused some inconsistencies, so reverted back to stock with no spacer to see if that evened it out.

Hop was good while gas and power output were on form (changed to green decepticon rubber)

Changing the FPS disc was a pain. Mostly because the pin for the spring on the nozzle is not the right size and not the same orientation as the WE. I managed to get it 90% out but the end was so mangled from tapping it out that I gave up removing it. Would recommend replacing that when you do eventually strip it down to bare bones. Could have easily been a long threaded bolt and saved a lot of time.

I’m in surgery this week and then won’t be playing until summer. Very much looking forward to using this when it’s warmer!

• Like 1
On 2/11/2019 at 10:58 AM, Got Wood? said:

Temperature was 4°c, windy, and wet. The rifle could reliably pump out half a mag with individual or double taps, with rests in between. Any more than that and it struggled. It’s fair to expect this given the price point and the weather in my opinion. I did nothing to warm or protect the mags from the cold.

At that sort of temperature you should be using at least Map Pro / propylene or even black gas

• 11 months later...

No longer in my care as I just didn’t play enough last year to justify it.

It was average. The hop arm did not have enough adjustment to fully hop a .25, and cutting the adjuster down to allow more movement made the arm too light and would be pushed off after a couple of rounds.

Build wise it was decent, it was only performance that let me down.

If I were to buy another from scratch:

Army rifle, change out for WE hop unit, and WE nozzle.

WE magazines, Army mags if you can’t get hold of WE.

• Like 1