Quality Chargers?

TheFull9

I've been using one of these guys for yonks now, ever since I switched over from nimh to lipo in fact:

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/800ma-charger-for-2s-or-3s-7-4-11-1v-battery-packs-complete-with-mains-power-supply.html

It works great, but obviously with no digital readout you don't get details on what's actually happening with your battery (I'll be buying a small capacity checker along with whatever charger I get).  Being that I only play a few times a year it's proven extremely prudent that I get my lipos recharged up to an appropriate level given the long gaps inbetween uses.  I've only look on component-shop thus far, of their offerings this seems like the right sort of option to fit my personal needs:

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/accucel-6-digital-charger-with-5a-power-supply.html

Just wondered what experiences the good folks of Arnies might have to offer (good quality 7.4v brand recommendations would also be welcome as an aside).

Take all of the below with the knowledge that i dont really understand what is really going on:

I have a turnigy accucel 6,super easy to use and i am not the brightest tool in the shed when it comes to this sort of stuff,alongside my giant cricket bag its my fav bit of kit that i dont actually wear.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/896711/Turnigy-Accucell-6.html?page=12#manual

^this should take you to page 12 which gives an overview of using the storage mode. Iirc you cycle through the options to storage mode, put it to 7.4v mode then hold down start. It will check that the battery type is the same as what is plugged in and alert you if not, you hold down start again and it will commence. Not once have i changed the amp i just use whatever the factory setting is.

I use giant power batteries with a 35c rating.

I use an imax b6, and most people I know do also. 

Full of features, charges anything, and was about 20 quid delivered! 

Edit, you can set it to do a 'storage charge' for batteries that won't be used for a while too 🙂

I use the accucell, i got it from hobbyking for about £20, must be 5 years old now at least, it's a really good charger that will cope with just about any battery and can run from 12v dc in the car if you need to quickly top up a lipo.

Jim.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I've had the Accucel since I switched over to lipos and it's done the trick and charged everything I've stuck on it.

There's a fair few options for charging and it seems fairly idiot proof too which is always a bonus.

Well, this has opened a surprising can of worms I have to say.  Seemed like the imax would be the cheaper option, but if you google the b6 there's a youtube video you should come across going over differences between what are apparently the real ones and the chinese clones which appear to be incredibly common - every one I found on ebay UK appears to be a clone to the extent I can't even seem to find a real one for sale.  hobbyking lists 2, with product pages for apparent real and clone options but the pictures of the supposed real one also appears to be the copy.  Even the SkyRC website doesn't do sales and their 'where to buy' section is *fruitcage* useless with nothing but a link for potential dealers.

Now I don't trust anything anymore, even though I'm not coming across anything to indicate there are many copies of the accucel out there. :wacko:  Probably go with stuff from component-shop, I feel they have good odds of only stocking legit stuff.  Unrelated I know but the fact many legit stores ended up selling knock-off chinese CATs (because the fakes were so real looking) leaves me pretty paranoid these days.

I got mine just before the clones appeared. Didn't know it was that bad now, sorry. 

Also, l get your sentiment on CATs. Also paid nearly 20 quid for one years ago. I want a couple more but just don't trust anyone to be real... 

ahem...... AFAIK "B6" itself is a clone of Bantam e-Station chargers, I still have one of the older models that don't even have balance function. It is done by an external unit, which I used a clone one....... if that means anything to anyone :P

okay, it's 2019 now, we have better and safer chargers to choose from than we were in 2006

• 3 weeks later...

Archived