58th Shizuoka Hobby Show Tokyo Marui Products

hitmanNo2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting to see how it stops firing while empty, that's a super cool feature, but is it still a maraca magazine? Having the option for 300 - 400 round "mid" cap with stop on empty would be cool, again, not anywhere near £1k-2k cool, I was going to get this, expected it to be a 10-20% more than the 417, not double lol 

Its deffo one to watch - i can imagine eagle6 managing customers expectations.

I think £1k is reasonable - the CA m249 was about £800-900 when it came out iirc.

Cant help but think that this will have fairly low sales and that the tech isn't as transferrable as it is say the M4 ngrs?,which was followed up with the 416, mk18 etc. Might this be the first and last of its kind?

On 7/2/2019 at 3:59 PM, Skarclaw said:

Cant help but think that this will have fairly low sales and that the tech isn't as transferrable as it is say the M4 ngrs?,which was followed up with the 416, mk18 etc. Might this be the first and last of its kind?

I think this is basically what's driving the cost. It's the same as the AA-12 - it was likely very expensive to develop, but it's of very niche utility, so the R&D cost has to be amortised over a much smaller number of predicted sales. IIRC TM spent $1m in 2008 dollars developing the Recoil Shock engine, but they've probably sold tens of thousands of rifles by now. I'd be surprised if they can shift more than a couple of thousand of these, given that even if they weren't having to put a much bigger slice of development costs they'd still be even more costly than the already-prohibitively-expensive-for-most-airsofters Recoil Shocks.

That said, G&P's M249s were full steel - I will print this post out and eat it if the TM isn't mostly aluminium alloy instead - and even the DX versions were only $550ish. Nearly double that would be very steep indeed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2019 at 4:59 PM, Skarclaw said:

I think £1k is reasonable - the CA m249 was about £800-900 when it came out iirc.

Yeah, but back then it was the only M249 available on the market, apart from the one made by TOP, I believe.

Nowadays, when you can choose between a beatiful G&P with a nice finish and markings, a reliable CA, or a cheap A&K, I dont expect Marui to get more than 10% of the market. Then again, the hard work is done by the aforementioned companies, Marui just has to get their hands on a G&P for details and meassurements, and invest a litle bit in their own, new features, and at 1.200 they should recover their money quickly.

3 hours ago, chas said:

Yeah, but back then it was the only M249 available on the market, apart from the one made by TOP, I believe.

Nowadays, when you can choose between a beatiful G&P with a nice finish and markings, a reliable CA, or a cheap A&K, I dont expect Marui to get more than 10% of the market. Then again, the hard work is done by the aforementioned companies, Marui just has to get their hands on a G&P for details and meassurements, and invest a litle bit in their own, new features, and at 1.200 they should recover their money quickly.

Tokyo Marui still doesn't have any official international distribution( they just don't seem to be interested in sales out side japan) how many of those brands have a footing in japan? 

Judging from airsoft reviewers based in Japan, I think they just get hold of Taiwanese and Chinese products the same way we get hold of Marui products, if there's something cool, airsofters will always find a way to get hold of them. I wouldn't count on TM to reverse engineer anything that G&P/others have done, I'm always baffled by how often companies start from scratch when they probably don't need to. Look at their MWS, you'd think with decade(s?) of the WA based system that has come so far, they could have just gone off that for both realism and ease of R&D, but no, they pretty much made everything from scratch, and when there are millions of great quality AKMs out there with steel body, they decided to release their next-gen (stop on empty) AK based on the (very old) AK47 with minimal compatibility whether it's hop unit or gearbox.  

From what I've seen of the Japanese airsoft scene, they're massively into Western stuff. Not so much AKs. It makes sense they would put massive effort into ARs and have AKs as a bit of an afterthought.

Depends on the location, but hitmanNo2 got the right of it.  Most videos you see a token guy in Ruskie kit or "terrorist/guerilla" kit with an ak, but often it is the older models of tm or the G&G tactical models at best, with a few recoil ones.  Some folks are as dedicated though and acquire whatever they can get their hands on like LCT and whatnot, but it is a smidgen compared to the amount of western oriented kit attention (though it is growing thankfully).

You see companies like Krytac and G&G making more headway inside Japan via all their sponsored gatherings complete with sales booths and giveways of models.

On 7/15/2019 at 7:43 PM, chas said:

Yeah, but back then it was the only M249 available on the market, apart from the one made by TOP, I 

Yea thats what i meant - it was the first regular AEG lmg and this is the first NGRS LMG.

I'm not trying to shill for TM on this one but i dont think its as simple as getting measurements from g&p and just investing in some new features - for example they claim the recoil is twice as strong as the m4. But we'll see!

• 4 months later...

Good to see it feeds vertically up like the G&P rather than through some preposterously stupid spring tube like the Classic Army. The whole thing looks really well thought out, especially the Hello Kitty AAs.

Still not going to buy one, but it doesn't look like a totally ridiculous purchase.

Archived