hitmanNo2

Waterproofing clothing treatments

I spent a lot of time in the rain at the weekend and it quickly became apparent that my soft shell jacket is no longer waterproof so I thought I would try and buy some waterproofing product to extend it's life.  It looks like Grangers Fabsil Gold seems to be the best product out there.  I hear good things about Nikwax too.  Anyone tried anything with good results?

I've used nikwax spray on fabric boots with good results, and the wash in stuff is decent too. 

It's popular on outdoor/bushcraft forums that I've had a nose around, too. 

If you go on the nikwax website, you can also get a free sample if you fill in a questionnaire. It's quick, and you can you can do it every few months or so. 

Second Nikwax wash - just read the instructions carefully and throw a rinse through the washing machine afterwards.

It does require a re-application if you've put it through heavy use (either heavy weather or kit/daysacks causing wear on the shoulders)

• Like 1

Third for Nikwax wash-in treatment. I've applied it to all my smocks with great results. The waterproofing doesn't last forever, but it's easy to reapply once or twice a year.