Waterproofing clothing treatments

hitmanNo2

I spent a lot of time in the rain at the weekend and it quickly became apparent that my soft shell jacket is no longer waterproof so I thought I would try and buy some waterproofing product to extend it's life.  It looks like Grangers Fabsil Gold seems to be the best product out there.  I hear good things about Nikwax too.  Anyone tried anything with good results?

I've used nikwax spray on fabric boots with good results, and the wash in stuff is decent too. 

It's popular on outdoor/bushcraft forums that I've had a nose around, too. 

If you go on the nikwax website, you can also get a free sample if you fill in a questionnaire. It's quick, and you can you can do it every few months or so. 

• 2 months later...

Granger's do  a proofer specifically for clothes, it's also chemically the same thing as DWRs applied to water proof and water resistant clothing by many companies, nikwax is basically PVA glue chemically. You might want to use a spray rather than a wash in on a soft shell, otherwise you're adding water repellency to the inside of the garment which isn't necessarily a good thing. Also, if you can, tumble drying the garment after it has been treated improves the water repellency but obviously check that it can be tumble dried first.

Archived