Hyper Capa - Carbine conversion for TM Hi Capa 5.1

Katotaka

This project has been running for almost a year - not like I grind it everyday like a second job, but design > prototyping > testing > issues > new iteration at a slower pace.
At the time of posting I'm considering it almost finished, let's say RC1 if I'm making a software, but I think this is still the best section to post my creation.

PROBLEM:
Current commercially available pistol-carbine "kits" are mostly for Glocks.
Most, if not all, rely on insecure mounting methods in favor of quickly attachment/detachment - rendering aiming system less accurate (read: useless).
Many different "host" gun models in the market, leading to inconsistent tolerance issues.
Bulky clamshell looks bad and fat.

MISSION:
Make a conversion kit for Hi-Capa.
Pistol securely mounted inside said kit, preferably able to return-to-zero after removal and reinstall.
Looks cool AF.

DESIGN CONSTRAINTS:
Also many different Hi-Capas in the market, screw it and make it fits TM Hi-Capa 5.1 Only.
Lack of proper mounting points, C-More sight mount pattern is used for drill/tap, drilling jig is created for easy installation.
ALL custom parts have to be reasonably made on demand, main structural parts with be CNC milled carbon fiber sheets, and self made parts with FDM 3D printer

How it started from a doodle
xS58JoM.jpg

early CAD model and 3DP pieces
pNRZg1I.png
p09S7pj.jpg

the most nitpicking mount, old gen non-adjustable ARMS QD on 3DP rail
xSdfsQg.jpg

around the size of an Umarex/VFC MP7A1
66WRER9.jpg

first working prototype with all 3DP parts
Brqp4tF.jpg

CF test piece and test fitting
YFXQ88t.jpgSzU6BH6.jpg

some updated 3DP parts and optional extended barrel piece, accommodates up to 250mm IB (M4 MWS)
R9kJETp.jpg

later CAD image very close to release version
r4lPIxQ.png

and, yeah, tons of test parts
pr47WWR.jpg

Some glamour shots with two slightly different iterations, also showing few different modular features.

RC1 with 250 barrel ext, integrated foregrip, ambi charging handle.
Small side rail is M-LOK mounted, extra slots for lower mounting position and is mirrored on the right side.
QZZFMdP.jpg

Same RC1, right side, 2 pos retractable stock in shorter position.
tSzYu54.jpg

Same, longer position, silver dots inside stock pad are neodymium magnets for easy stock deployment. 
R8eip8y.jpg

cM1823s.jpg

nzIXJi5.jpg

lJTH19w.jpg

The other magnets are visible near rear and of body.
R9cZUZT.jpg

XcKuxxD.jpg

RC1 in black and Beta in gray, both wearing plastic parts printed in PLA-Plus - a slightly more impact-resistant variant of the material.
Titanium screws are used on Beta because P R O T O T Y P E.
vuSryxm.jpg

Different kinds of muzzle piece, "Null" muzzle on Beta accommodates up to approximate 7 inch (~163mm according to pdi) inner barrel with barrel spacer printed in TPU (a flexible material).
Stock barrel can also be used without hazard hitting the muzzle due to the bigger exit hole.
250 muzzle as the name suggests, accommodates an 250mm M4 MWS inner barrel.
Also note Beta is sporting a left side only charging handle.
dnqATfZ.jpg

Zu5QAsz.jpg

Integrated foregrip VS bottom rail
Foregrip features a 100-105 degree faces to mimic the same Hi-Capa angle, geometry near the top encourages a "thumb break" grip, a normal wrap around grip is possible but not very "optimized".
2-piece bottom rail design, rear section can be omitted during installation for a slimmer build, it also comes off with the host gun when maintenance is needed.

A host gun without longer inner barrel can be released by removing SIX screws, host gun with looooong IB can be released by removing TEN and loosening TWO screws.
In most instances, relative gun-optic position can be maintained with decent accuracy, stays in Alpha Zone of an action-air IPSC target at 10M range, but re-confirm is recommended.
2A0J6oq.jpg

Very nice work!

At first I was a bit confused by you using large, flat 3-d printed plates bolted to trunnions...

And then I realised you were going to replace those with laser/water cut CF panels and I twigged.

On 7/6/2019 at 5:55 AM, BigAl said:

Love it but can you work in a dummy ejection port, I know its airsoft but still, looks wrong without. :)

it has an ejection port, it's the window on the right side, you can only see the slide when the action is closed, lock the slide to the back and you will see the chamber through the window

BTW I do take it to (im)practical shooting matches and they requires safety procedures like real firearms, ability to look through the chamber is require and able to poke out BBs is a plus

• 4 weeks later...

you're right it's not supposed to shoot with stock retracted, doesn't really matter in airsoft though

BTW, the class of match it's in (which I had in mind when I designed it) - PCC, pistol caliber carbine, if a shooter fires his PCC without putting the stock to his shoulder, it's a match DQ

tweaked dimensions and geometry a bit for the stock strutsLDwlqZC.jpg

it's a oversight since I didn't really use the intermediate position, found out it is still too short for me even wearing a plate carrier if I use it against other humans
plus it is in the way of the safety, while still usable but yeah it deserve some changes
0R7A8eG.jpg

extended length by 15mm and the front end is now cut at an angle for better clearance, and aesthetic :POWOLcm5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived