MK16 URGI Rails

Gigueand

I'm looking at purchasing a replica MK16 (i.e. URGI) rail for my rifle.

I'm looking the HAO version, but haven't heard much about it.

My understanding is that JKArmy, Angry Gun, C&C Tac and HAO make replicas, but some are better fit and finish than others. Can anyone weigh in?

Thanks,

Can't speak for the HAO version, but the C&C is amazing. The AG unfortunately has off-spec M-lok slots.

IIRC 5KU or Big Dragon will be making one too, but it's likely going to be cast and CNC finished for a much lower price point.

As someone with OCD whom recently also bought MK16 URGI rail replicas I can give some information.

I asked for advice from two members of this forum, @intinerious and @MRF. I hope they don't mind if I share some of the info they gave me via PM on the matter.

As far as I know the following brands make URGI replicas as of right now: Angry Gun, C&C Tac, RA Tech/Airsoft Taiwan, HAO, Z-Parts, OMG, Arrow Dynamic (seems new).

First up, info from @intinerious, which I can't thank enough for his experience and insight on things, five thumbs up!

Angry Gun: 2nd to announce the rail, but I believe either the 1st or 2nd to release it into the market (or C&C was first, not sure).  The milling bit they used for their rail to cut the MLOK slots was too big, you can see the corners on the rectangles of the MLOK slots are too round; signs of a tool bit being too big in diameter and can't mill a deep corner.  Angry Gun never showed off they had a real URGI to clone off of; so it's probably based on pictures, and therefore some parts of the rail is probably not true to spec, besides the most glaring issue with the MLOK slots.

OMG: 1st to announce the URGI, not the first to come out with it.  Looking at the pics online it's obviously meant to be an "economy" brand since...well, lots of the CNC milling parts are wrong and it's cheap vs the other brands.  IMO not worth getting it particularly since you have money dude, I've seen the plethora of builds you've posted before :P

RA-TECH: haven't seen them sold in HK shops, and honestly I doubt I will ever see it since they're a Taiwan brand and HK brands already cloned the URGI, no point for HK shops to stock the RA-TECH unless there's a big quality difference.  But if you read my comments on other brands below there's no need to consider the RA-TECH.

ZParts: I have this rail, the short one at least, in DDC.  It's lighter and more matte vs the real URGI which I've handled before, and the surface has a lot more bumps on it vs the real URGI which is smooth.  They obviously needed to have a decent profit margin to beat C&C Tac in HK since it seems like C&C was their direct competitor, so they used shittier aluminium which leads to the more rough, bumpy surface.  The pricing is not that far off from the C&C so I wouldn't consider getting the ZParts again; I bought it just to compare with the C&C one I have.  Actually, besides the shittier aluminium vs the real URGI and the C&C, there's a more fatal error with the ZParts.  The screws they use are also of a lower quality and feel more rough vs the real URGI screws and the C&C ones.  I've managed to ruin (i.e. scratch and dent) my rail trying to remove the *fruitcage* torx screws and having the tool slipping.  The rougher surface finish on the screws likely got the screws seizing up against the threaded steel plate.  I'm very unhappy about this.  I've tried applying some superlube to the threads to alleviate this issue but I encountered the same screw seizing up problem just yesterday evening when I was swapping rails from my guns.  The only positive thing about the ZParts rail I can honestly say is that it fits AEGs without modifications (since the AEG bodies are slightly wider).

HAO: Yes, HAO jumped in with their URGI too, but very late in the game.  HAO's quality is renown for many of their products, like their HK416 SMR rail, BUUUUUT.  If you look at the photos the surface finish is just as bumpy as the ZParts.  If I was a conspiracy theorist I'd say the rails probably came from the same manufacturer, but knowing HAO they probably developed it independently from ZParts.  Still, the aluminium they used to keep their profit margin (and they're selling this rail pretty cheap vs their other products) is compared to the C&C and real URGI, so I wouldn't consider the HAO one unless your budget's a concern.

C&C Tac: I know for a fact that they had a real URGI to clone off of lol.  Heard stories from people in the know.  Plus, they're the first one to start throwing photos up online with their milled raw aluminium rail next to a "finished" one.....if the "finished" one was actually a clone and not a real rail, they wouldn't have needed to show off the raw aluminium one, right?  So I'm 100% sure they have a real rail to clone off of.  The screws on the rail is buttery smooth and the rail is very very close, or might as well be 100% the same as the real URGI.  I believe the real URGI is 7075 aluminium and the C&C one is 6061, but I couldn't tell the difference.  Maybe you can if you had the real rail and the C&C clone side by side, but I haven't had the pleasure to do so.  The C&C one is also the most expensive, but considering it's basically the same as the real rail in all aspects but the material for the rail, and it's less than 50% of the price of the real URGI rail itself, which you can only get in the 2018 Black Friday Sale (it was US$395 but came with the charging handle, but the CH itself is like 75 bucks so the rail can be considered being sold for US$320 vs the C&C rail that's US$155).  The only downside to the C&C I can tell is the rail doesn't fit AEG receivers without modifications.  The 2 grub screws on the side are housed in a "flange" so to speak that's part of the rail.  It fits perfectly on GBBRs since the upper receiver width is true to RS spec, but it's too tight for the flange to sandwich the upper for the grub screws to tighten down onto the upper because AEG receivers are too wide.

Some pics of his URGI build here: 

And here is what I got from @MRF

Well, in this particular matter it is rather simple choice - C&C Tac, or recently released HAO version. HAO seems to be a total 1:1 replica (C&C Tac omitted one, minor detail, not really noticable when rail is installed), and it represents the latest iteration of the thing, with stamped NSN marking (C&C Tac has only PN marking). Of course HAO clone's markings are not stamped (at least they doesn't look like). What is my only concern is rail surface finish. It seems to be too grainy, but I won't be persisting on this, because... Well, I've never seen a real rail ;). They may vary in this aspect, and C&C Tac's version is also made with RS rail as the base for reproduction. Hard to tell which is better here.

I own both long and short C&C Tacs, they are really nicely made. But I guess I will try HAO's too, just because I am damn curious about it.
You should also get C&C's ACH, which is really nice charging handle, while HAO offers Maritime Bolt Catch, which is - AFAIK - also a part of modernized USASOC M4s. But this is the thing to be checked (damn... I'm not sure if this fits GBB rifles, or only PTW...). Another thing HAO does is Geissele scope mount, but I don't really recall this being issued part for sure...

Oh, one quite significant aspect - the price. HAO kills C&C Tac on this field. 100$ vs 144$. C&C pushed their clone first, after buying RS Mk16 on Ebay. For over 800$ LOL. HAO joined the race last, buying original part during BF sale. But honestly their price seems to be fair anyway, because those M-Lok rails, especially MK16 are damn simply designed things. Recently I discovered that LaRue finally released M-Lok rails, and pricing is systematized - 10$ per inch. 70$ for 7 incher, 90$ for 9 incher and so on. So it's questionable if 144$ is the right price for an airsoft clone of Mk16 ;). 

Angry Gun, OMG, ZParts MK16s are just to be skipped. First two are simply $hitty. ZParts is OK in terms of geometry and details, but it features awful, rough finish.
And I'm not sure if Ra-Tech made its own. I believe they rather used RS or C&C Tac on their URGI build.

And here are some pics of his build also: 

As for my personal experience, looking around at pictures, videos, information on websites etc. I think that the C&C Tac is the best choice out there in terms of overall quality, accuracy and finish for the price point. However! I did find one "major" (OCD alert) flaw with their 9.3" URGI rail in a post on reddit on the matter. The front of the C&C Tac 9.3" URGI rail has incorrect picatinny rail slots at the very front. The 13.5" has a big "block" at the front, which is correct, but the 9.3" is supposed to have a slim "normal" rail slot at the very front.

The C&C Tac MK16 URGI rails install and fit perfectly on my WE M4 GBBR :) 

I'm probably a bit late, but the 9.3 rail is incorrect at the front picatinny rail slot. When OMG and C&C cloned it, they both just shortened the 13.5 and didn't pay attention to the actual length of the real 9.3 rail. The real 9.3 has a short pic section whereas the OMG and C&C's both have a long section (only seen on the 13.5). Kind of a shame, considering C&C's slogan is "Pursuit for details!!"... if you look at C&C's Instagram, they will almost never show the front end of their 9.3's because of this error.

REF: 

I should also point out that my first C&C TAC MK16 URGI 9.3" DDC rail I bought from WGC Shop strangely came without any markings on it which was odd seeing as all websites showed the C&C with markings (or blurred out). Not sure what happened there. I bought both my C&C Tac MK16 URGI DDC rails from JK Army (9.3" and 13.5") and they both have markings on them.

Forgot to say but I would highly recommend you buy some barrel nut spacer washers to align the barrel nut properly for installation. Angry Gun, C&C Tac and DYTAC make packs of those.

https://www.angrygun.com/products/angry-gun-barrel-nut-washer

https://shop.jkarmy.com/c-c-airsoft-outer-barrel-nut-washer-shims-set-0-15mm-20pcs.html

https://shop.jkarmy.com/dytac-30pcs-shims-set-for-barrel-nut-25-7-x-32-x-0-3mm.html

Also need to be careful which models are which spec, i.e. AEG, TM or WE/PTW etc. I just realized that when I was browsing around for the different brands releases and noticed some of them are AEG only for example. Which is related to both the barrel nut thread spec. and the width of the rail "clamps" etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to add that, the ZParts rail I got doesn't fit AEG bodies.  The clamp part of the rail where it recesses into the upper receiver isn't wide enough for a VFC upper.

The C&C def. doesn't fit either; they copied the real URGI 1:1 as far as I can tell so they only fit GBBRs.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2019 at 12:13 AM, NonEx said:

As for my personal experience, looking around at pictures, videos, information on websites etc. I think that the C&C Tac is the best choice out there in terms of overall quality, accuracy and finish for the price point. However! I did find one "major" (OCD alert) flaw with their 9.3" URGI rail in a post on reddit on the matter. The front of the C&C Tac 9.3" URGI rail has incorrect picatinny rail slots at the very front. The 13.5" has a big "block" at the front, which is correct, but the 9.3" is supposed to have a slim "normal" rail slot at the very front.

Holly frack, that's correct. I mean it is not correct:D
Damn. There's no denial - C&C did this thing wrong...

On 7/20/2019 at 10:00 AM, intinerious said:

I just want to add that, the ZParts rail I got doesn't fit AEG bodies.  The clamp part of the rail where it recesses into the upper receiver isn't wide enough for a VFC upper.

The C&C def. doesn't fit either; they copied the real URGI 1:1 as far as I can tell so they only fit GBBRs.

I believe this may apply to any airsoft copy of Mk16, due to the anti-rotation tabs design. It makes this rail unswappable (is even such a word in English? :D ) between AEG and GBB replicas. I guess it's worth remembering.

Archived