Spetsnaz machete

I recently reinstalled Fusion 360 and I have been playing around with it. My first project is to make a printable model of the UVSR "Spetsnaz" machete. This is very much a learning project and I'm hoping to be able to get it printed (a friend has a good 3D printer, no idea how much it's likely to cost). Anyway, here's a screen grab of my progress so far, it's not complete and needs a lot of detail work still. 

machete render 1.PNG

Nice! I'm looking into exactly what to print it in. My plan is to print it out of something with a degree of flex to it. I'm also going to effectively add a tang to the blade, and  corresponding slots in the guard and handle. I'm reasonably happy with the blade as it is, being a bit simplified and chunky isn't a major issue, and in keeping with most training and dummy knives. I'll obviously have to check how printable all this is anyway. There's also the issue of giving it some flex but not having it actually bend under its own weight. 

A bit more progress today. I've started modeling the grip surface for the handle. Currently the extrusions are all a uniform length which isn't exactly accurate. Because I'm still learning Fusion 360 I'm currently not sure how to change the length of the grip extrusions, they're technically separate bodies that I'm going to combine with the main grip body once I'm happy with them. Annoyingly the press/pull tool only seems to allow me to make them deeper or shallower. 

machete render 2 handle.PNG

Archived