AR AEG Scratch Build

TheFull9

So I picked up a set of the G&P 'Deluxe' receivers (Magpul lower) some years ago, which were damn pricey on initial release and are some of the few real, quality aluminium receivers made for AEGs; presumably CNC rather than forged.  Also have a really nice Erathr3 M-LOK handguard to go on the front and a proper PTS pistol grip from the golden era where they had the actual Magpul logos on (rather than the earlier generic texture surface) that I think only got made for a short while before the license was pulled.

That's all I've got so far though and I've long been meaning to make these in to an example of a sort of old-school example of a premium AEG that would've been the thing many people aimed for before TM recoils and the more commonplace functional GBBR (let alone GBLS and remote-air guns).

I don't even know where to set a budget for internals as I want to basically get someone to build me a really excellent all around performer, highly reliable and snappy with no chance of lock-ups on semi but I don't take nearly as much of an interest in RIFs as I do in kit.  I'd like to think given the proliferation of MOSFETs that wouldn't be such a big ask these days, but I don't know of a better place to ask for advice than here and frankly I doubt there is one.  The basic premise is not quite going to the level of Siegetek gears, but probably Prometheus kinda level for internal parts.  I know I've seen some gearboxes out there with built-in hops that looked very nice, can't remember the brand name but they do fancy triggers, selectors and fake mag-releases etc in many colours of anodisation.  So yeah, recommendations for parts and/or highly skilled, knowledgeable, reliable and trust-worthy techs in this field very much welcome.

Also any hints on quality AEG parts like buffer tubes and outer barrels.  I'd be somewhat surprised if any actually exist that are at all better than what every standard manufacturer slaps on their guns, but I figured it's best to ask on the slim chance some niche Japanese website offers a higher quality part.

This is something I've been planning for years and will be investing in to significantly in terms of cost an effort so all good info is appreciated and will be put to use.

I would probably get a G&P GB shell and use prommy internals.

The AR15 G&P hop unit is also decent too from memory, pair it with a Prommy 6.03 inner barrel an Prommy hop bucking and nub (purple).

The G&P motor was pretty decent too, as were the Systema's.

Tech, have had no real issues with John @Wolf Armouries, he's solid but he's busy.   

I know Systema get's a lot of bad stick, but donkey years ago I built a SR16 with all Systema internals.

It had a Revolution gear box and motor, Systema hop unit and inner barrel.

It wasn't quite scratch build though (GB was pre built and was a meant to be drop in upgrade)

The thing ran flawlessly for a long time, accuracy was amazing and trigger response was crisp and snappy without a mosfet.

It's a shame that these parts are not as widely available as they were.

kasr16spr1.jpg

kasr16spr2.jpg

For internal parts, I'd probably go with SHS, including the motor. 13:1 gears, torque motor, full metal rack piston, decent cylinder and head, maybe one of those one-piece ones.
Powair6 has a very nice and cheap CNC M4 hop chamber for 13.90€. I have one and it's very well made.
https://www.powair6.com/en/aeg-hop-up-unit/7980-cnc-aluminum-hop-up-assembly-for-m4-aeg.html

On electronics, I have several Titans, but I don't like the GATE's approach to firmware. They sell you a cheap one without enough adjustment options and ask you for more money in order to unlock the rest.
There are a couple of CZ companies making new electronics for AEGs that look very nice. Go optical in any case.

Add a quality hop rubber and a Prommy, PDI or EdGI barrel and you are golden.

On 8/30/2019 at 5:07 PM, Skarclaw said:

Negative Airsoft based in reading seems to be the top tsch at the moment.

On the one hand it talks like he knows a lot, but having met him quite a few times he doesn't even vaguely give me the professional vibe of a person with attention to detail that I'm looking for (how many times do you actually need to say *Ubar* in a video?).  I'd be a tad dubious I'll be honest.

On 8/30/2019 at 5:39 PM, bladerunner168 said:

I would probably get a G&P GB shell and use prommy internals.

The AR15 G&P hop unit is also decent too from memory, pair it with a Prommy 6.03 inner barrel an Prommy hop bucking and nub (purple).

The G&P motor was pretty decent too, as were the Systema's.

Tech, have had no real issues with John @Wolf Armouries, he's solid but he's busy.   

Sounds like the sort of thing I'd had in mind, any specific reason for the G&P shell specifically?

Are Wolf better these days in general?

19 hours ago, Wingmann said:

For internal parts, I'd probably go with SHS, including the motor. 13:1 gears, torque motor, full metal rack piston, decent cylinder and head, maybe one of those one-piece ones.
Powair6 has a very nice and cheap CNC M4 hop chamber for 13.90€. I have one and it's very well made.
https://www.powair6.com/en/aeg-hop-up-unit/7980-cnc-aluminum-hop-up-assembly-for-m4-aeg.html

On electronics, I have several Titans, but I don't like the GATE's approach to firmware. They sell you a cheap one without enough adjustment options and ask you for more money in order to unlock the rest.
There are a couple of CZ companies making new electronics for AEGs that look very nice. Go optical in any case.

Add a quality hop rubber and a Prommy, PDI or EdGI barrel and you are golden.

I've seen a lot of spotty reports on SHS, not really what I'd intended to use truth be told.    Any specific recommendations on the electronics front?

I probably wouldn't use an SHS tappet, and generally I keep the original ones, but that's it. The rest is nice enough, and affordable. I haven't had any problems with their gears or pistons (with or without piston SHS heads).

Perun optical v2. I won't recommend GATE since their policy about firmware sucks. They work, though.

Disclaimer: I run a tech shop, DLCustoms Ltd, so obviously this is a bit of a plug.

In terms of build, internally, the biggest consideration is the length of the barrel - If you're going for about a 10-11" barrel or shorter, then a DSG would be the best shout, if longer, then I'd say go for a short stroke SSG build.

In terms of externals, G&P or VFC would be where it's at, and as it's a G&P receiver set you'll likely run into less problems in terms of compatibility.

G&P gearbox shells are pretty bombproof when radiused and set up properly and will be the most likely to fit into the receiver, hop up unit wise, if you're wanting to splash the cash, MAXX Pro hop up units are the best on the market and can be set up with a built in tracer unit if that's something you want.

An R-hopped Lambda 6.05mm barrel would give you the best range and accuracy.

Mosfet wise, GATE TITANs are the big name - as mentioned by Wingmann the PERUN optical is a good choice too, cheaper and very reliable - less options but a little harder to program. If you want to retain the feel of a tactile switch on the trigger pull, a BTC Spectre is really your only option.

If limited to buffer tube lipos, my usual DSG set up will happily do 50rps, but that can be adjusted from between 30-60rps as you prefer. SSG wise for longer barrels, my usual go to build will do 33-35rps.

If that sounds like too much, remember that trigger response is locked to RoF - at 20rps your cycle time is 50ms, at 40rps it's 25ms. You can 'cheat' it by using a mosfet and precocking, but that gearbox has to complete a full cycle before you can fire a second shot.

Feel free to peruse my site for builds and plans etc: https://dlcustoms.eu/

I've got a lot more customer builds etc on my Facebook page too: https://www.facebook.com/DLCustoms/

9 hours ago, TheFull9 said:

Sounds like the sort of thing I'd had in mind, any specific reason for the G&P shell specifically?

Are Wolf better these days in general?

To be honest, I've not had a AR15 AEG that wasn't a TM EBB for quite a few years now. So most of what I said harks back to the time when G&P first came out with the LMT replica which was just amazing inside and out. The G&P V2 GB shell was very reasonably price and was such a robust unit.

I've never had issues with Wolf ever since I used them 7-8 years ago.

I think some of their rep came from before the time when their current tech was there. 

Archived