Jump to content
Got Wood?

Who’s MP5is the nicest?

Recommended Posts

Interested in getting another one of these lately. Had a cyma blowback one and that was always my go to. They seem to be discontinued and the blowback used to chew itself though.

 

Who makes the nicest ones externally nowadays?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bolt Recoil MP5's seem to be out again and they have supposedly fixed the faults.  Looking forward to seeing some reviews of these.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd hold out and see if there is a release of the LCT MP5s anytime soon if you wanted recoil.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new Avalon-based MP5 (by VFC/Umarex) is the absolute business, performance-wise. I doubt any other brand can even compare. The externals are nice, too.

 

If you're after an MP5 with the old-school SEF lower, your only option is Classic Army (through their webstore, classicarmyshop.com). My CA MP5A3 has some frighteningly rickety externals, but what do you expect from a company whose QC is growing ever worse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hitmanNo2 said:

I'd hold out and see if there is a release of the LCT MP5s anytime soon if you wanted recoil.

This. The LCT MP5 looks absolutely amazing:

From the categories on their website it looks like the EBB G3s will be the first to be released. If you can hold off (maybe buzz their Facebook to see if they have a projected release date?) I definitely would.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was holding out hope for LCT making a nice recoil MP5, but I thought I read somewhere about LCT using metal pistons for the AK series and bad things were happening. That might explain on why there doesn't seem to be any LCT recoil AK's out and about, just the kits.

Which meant that I was thinking of getting a Bolt, but it seems to take them a couple of attempts to get it right....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm I thought the Bolts were all gone. As far as I knew the only issue was shaking themselves apart?

LCT I would love, but seems like a very long wait and there’s nothing to see after that video...

Wasn’t aware you could go direct to classic army though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New LCT where working on a recoil G3, didn't know about the others.  They look good but as thee working with no mags tends to sugest they don't hace stop on empty and working bolt release features like the TM NGRS and KWA ERG's.  Big mistake.  Here's hoping I wrong or they realise and add these features.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I nearly posted the exact same topic the same day you did GW.  According to the product descriptions of the EF/Avalon brand AEGs that are offered on Evike and AirsoftGI (around $350) they have stamped steel uppers and nylon lowers.  In an effort to cross-reference and confirm that I've watched a few video 'reviews' however all the ones I've found so far are made by people who clearly want to cater to the lowest common denominator and provide SWEET FA in terms of actual detail about the materials and internal specs.

I'd imagine the LCT externals will tick the right boxes for us more discriminating buyers, no idea if they'll bother with a MOSFET or generally with internals that'll have the crisp response in semi that most people are probably looking for when when they plan to use these things indoors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, PureSilver said:

This. The LCT MP5 looks absolutely amazing

From the categories on their website it looks like the EBB G3s will be the first to be released. If you can hold off (maybe buzz their Facebook to see if they have a projected release date?) I definitely would.

I tried them on FB and got "We will publish on official website if have any latest news". So yeah. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wingmann said:

Do any of those have fire selectors that don't suck?

Jet DesertFox rates the selectors on the EF 'Elite' model in his review, doesn't look like he's lying far as I could tell.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Various, the guns I'm talking about are Avalon as I say (VFC), take a look at some of the product listings and reviews you'll find out plenty of info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TheFull9 said:

I nearly posted the exact same topic the same day you did GW.  According to the product descriptions of the EF/Avalon brand AEGs that are offered on Evike and AirsoftGI (around $350) they have stamped steel uppers and nylon lowers.  In an effort to cross-reference and confirm that I've watched a few video 'reviews' however all the ones I've found so far are made by people who clearly want to cater to the lowest common denominator and provide SWEET FA in terms of actual detail about the materials and internal specs.

 

Agreed. Whilst it's nice to see them on youtube, there's a lot of "this gun is great" and no actual disassembly, looking at the gearbox, reporting on proprietary parts, etc. Would be useful to know if it uses it's own custom mosfet setup or if a Gate/Spectre is a drop in (or HPA) and so on.

Despite the annoyance of small mag capacity and limited battery size in the sliding stock I am always on the lookout for more MP5 options. I blame every 80's action movie ever for this.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AFAIK the LCT models (some of which WGC seems to already be selling/listing up at least ak wise) don't have any upgraded internals save for the motor and whatever is needed for the bolt.  Been hearing mostly negative things from the few who got kits of the strain on the gearbox being too much.

Edited by Gunmane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hatchet said:

agreed. Whilst it's nice to see them on youtube, there's a lot of "this gun is great" and no actual disassembly, looking at the gearbox, reporting on proprietary parts, etc. Would be useful to know if it uses it's own custom mosfet setup or if a Gate/Spectre is a drop in (or HPA) and so on.

Despite the annoyance of small mag capacity and limited battery size in the sliding stock I am always on the lookout for more MP5 options. I blame every 80's action movie ever for this.

Hopefully there is an depth review written somewhere online on the Avalons, though given the death of forums and most FB groups being Closed/Secret it's not terribly likely.  AFAIK the VFC/Avalon MOSFETs are their own thing as with most fets that come in a gun, that's only a guesstimate though.

One YT 'review' claims the guns in question are RS spec externally and does show a real handguard fitted to add weight to that argument, though I think given the tolerances in question you've probably got more chance fitting a real handguard than stock given the tight fitting of the stock caps on MP5s.  If real stocks work though there are many options out there, though strangely the real MP5k has even more options and adapters than the MP5.

9 hours ago, Gunmane said:

AFAIK the LCT models (some of which WGC seems to already be selling/listing up at least ak wise) don't have any upgraded internals save for the motor and whatever is needed for the bolt.  Been hearing mostly negative things from the few who got kits of the strain on the gearbox being too much.

Not too surprising, doesn't fill me with confidence with regard the LCT.  The AKs seem to sound nice, probably feel decent to shoot and cycle the action, but I wouldn't bet too much on the long term reliability and I doubt the semi response will be stellar, though happy to be proved wrong when they release their offering of course.  If it stopped on empty I think I'd wait quite happily, but I've not heard of them planning to do that which leaves the choice a bit more open ended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 6:27 PM, richwuk said:

I was holding out hope for LCT making a nice recoil MP5, but I thought I read somewhere about LCT using metal pistons for the AK series and bad things were happening.

The AK 'boxes definitely do have metal pistons: I have one. I'm reasonably sure the piston is steel - it's under incredible stress from the off-axis loading of the recoil spring, which is very, very stiff indeed. I bought mine used and only shot the gearbox outside the gun - they're both with a machinist at present so the latter will accept the former - but it sounded good.

On 8/30/2019 at 9:12 PM, BigAl said:

They look good but as thee working with no mags tends to sugest they don't hace stop on empty and working bolt release features like the TM NGRS and KWA ERG's.

Given that the EBB AK gearboxes don't have those features and there's no mention of the soon-to-be-released EBB AKs coming with them either, I think it's likely that those features won't be included. AFAIK PTWs, DASs, NGRS, ERGs, and EVO3A1s are the only AEGs with that functionality. The majority of EBBRs (BOLT, G&P, G&G, ICS, CYMA, ARMY, not to mention NGRS G36s and every NGRS AK except the newest one) don't have it.

Honestly, if I had to choose between a TM NGRS MP5 that did stop and had a working bolt, but was ABS and aluminium, and an LCT MP5 that didn't and didn't but was all-steel and GFP, I would probably take the LCT. I can enjoy steel construction and decent plastics on every shot and in between them too, whereas the bolt stop only activates every 70rds. The LCT will likely kick harder, and if I really wanted to I could probably find some way to tie the charging handle into the gun's electronics. The work required to get an NGRS into a different shell is so prohibitively expensive and difficult that I've only seen one ARES reshell of an NGRS G36 before.

On 8/31/2019 at 10:57 PM, Gunmane said:

AFAIK the LCT models (some of which WGC seems to already be selling/listing up at least ak wise) don't have any upgraded internals save for the motor and whatever is needed for the bolt.

The 'box has (obviously) a proprietary open-topped shell, a metal piston I'm pretty sure is steel, and from what I can recall a wider tooth engaging the piston. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yah I would chose the lct over a TM as well, but why the hell not go the extra distance and put stop on empty functionality in the system,  the better the gun feels and more it functions like a GBB ( or indeed the real one ) but with the ease of battery power instead of gas the better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting how little the MP5 is looked at from manufacturers. Tonnes and tonnes of weird and bizarre civvie/zombie builds, but very little military or law enforcement focus on any of it.

All very interesting points above. Shame to hear the recoil LCT’s aren’t all that yet. I would have thought LCT would nail it first time.

May end up getting the not nicest platform. Cyma have released a non EBB Mp5 range updated for 2019, and I could get both an A3 and SD5, and mags for under £300...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and the use of session cookies.