Makarov or Tokarev TT-33?

Wingman

With a large number of 1911's and "G Series" GBB pistols, I'm thinking of purchasing a "Russian/Soviet" classic as something different.

I've been looking at the Tokarev TT-33 and Makarov and I'd like an opinion of which pistol and which brand would be the most satisfying in regards to shooting experience, dependability, durability, range, accuracy, fit and finish.

Your sugguestions will be greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think you have much choice, between two Makarovs (WE's double-stacker PMM and KWA's PM) and either one or two TTs (WE and SRC). WE got much better since their abysmal early 1911s, so if you get their products, it'll be serviceable.

Now to decide which of the two WE pistols is most durable. The TT33 seems to be the most simple of designs with simple single action. I have heard that the rear sight needs to be filed down a bit to work with the front sight. I've also heard that it is easy to remove the "thumb safety" lever (which was added to the real steel as a way of making it import legal) as it is just held in by the grip panel.

I wonder about the durability of the double action and hammer/drop feature on the Makarov and the slide stop/relese seems to be a bit light duty. 

Only part that's broken on my mak is the trigger bar. Slide catch is steel and can easily round the notch on the slide if you let the barrel screw come loose. Decocker is fairly simple: it trips the sear but at the same time disconnects the valve knocker so functionally it's just like letting the hammer fall without a mag. 

If you go chrome, then both the WE TT33 and Makarov PMM are fairly hardy.  Matt black coat just wears out and increases friction.

The WE TT33 does require a file down of the rear sight in order for it to work, that and its hop up lever is pretty garbage resulting in either heavy hop or no hop.  I had to make a Hi-capa hop lever fit the TT33.

However, the Chromed PMM is slightly sharper around the edges due to the electroplating process, and I find my hands get cut.  The PMMs hop is fine, its Achillies heal is the slide stop and the barrel mounting trunion which knocks itself loose but the screw cannot be tightened all the way due to slide to barrel tolerances.  But it works well.

So I bought the Chrome TT33 and a black Makarov.  The TT33 roughly fits a M1911 serpa and the Makarov fits a modified PPK serpa.

8 hours ago, 3vi1-D4n said:

PMM... barrel mounting trunion which knocks itself loose but the screw cannot be tightened all the way due to slide to barrel tolerances.

That screw has to be down tight and with super glue even. If you mean it makes removing the slide harder, you need to pull up on the nozzle as it goes over the barrel. Slightly rounding the bottom corner of the loading arm also helps as well as sanding down the paint on the barrel which is very thick but not really necessary.

Archived