Marui Festival 2019

castigador

I almost forgot but Tokyo Marui held it's annual festival this weekend.

Most stuff is already known but they did show 2 new guns that are in development

G17 Gen 4
This one should use the latest blowback housing and be real size
11.jpg

A gbbr AKM
most likely still a long time away (most likely this time next year) but interesting to see TM choose this model. 
01.jpg

Source and more pictures and info on http://www.hyperdouraku.com/event/marui_fes6/index.html

Saw this elsewhere, and the reactions among the group were mixed regarding the akm, mostly negative.  Apparently it is going to be mostly zinc cast, for a GBBR?  I shudder to think whether or not they will still use the screws in the magwell to secure the receiver as well.  I assume the reason they chose akm model instead of type 3 ak47 is simply to not confuse their audience with those buying the aeg version they had released.  Then again perhaps they figure they had to move forward a bit for something like this, much like with the mws platform.

Not going to be of interest to me, much like most ak developments lately sadly.

Well, they have more experience with them than the 5.45 models, seeing as the only one they ever made was the ebbr series and it was a flop sales wise for them.  Honestly, after Cyma, LCT, ghk (with lct body), and E&L released their 74m, has there really been any other company to bother making one without it being some weird mishmash of parts?

I don't see them struggling inside Japan, because whilst ghk models have owners there, the amount of promotional weight TM has alongside aftermarket base there will see it through.  Outside though it depends on what it ends up being system wise.  I wouldn't be surprised if someone buys one just to gut said system for a steel body if it performs well enough stock, but then again, nothing really does. 

On 11/19/2019 at 7:25 PM, wildething said:

They really don't care.

Yeah, it's a shame but it has always been the reality. Much as a like and generally rate a lot of their products it's also why I don't go along with the "ONLY BUY MARUI" Fanboys, it doesn't make sense to support a company with that much vehemence that honestly probably wouldn't care if they had zero market share outside of Japan. Marui are interesting inovaters, still make excellent GBB pistols, and very good, if relatively expensive AEGs but they aren't motivated by a lot of the trends outside of Japan. It's cool that they are making an AKM (only like 15 years late to the game, lol) and I hope it adds something to the market but I'm not going to go wild over something that will cost hundreds of dollars, and doesn't have a steel receiver, regardless of how reliable the system is.

3 hours ago, ninja master of coffee said:

Yeah, it's a shame but it has always been the reality. Much as a like and generally rate a lot of their products it's also why I don't go along with the "ONLY BUY MARUI" Fanboys, it doesn't make sense to support a company with that much vehemence that honestly probably wouldn't care if they had zero market share outside of Japan. Marui are interesting inovaters, still make excellent GBB pistols, and very good, if relatively expensive AEGs but they aren't motivated by a lot of the trends outside of Japan. It's cool that they are making an AKM (only like 15 years late to the game, lol) and I hope it adds something to the market but I'm not going to go wild over something that will cost hundreds of dollars, and doesn't have a steel receiver, regardless of how reliable the system is.

For marui to be officially interest in out side of Japan and have formal exports they would have to bend over to some one like cybergun or they would spend for ever in court fighting copyright. If you think TM is expensive now just see what it would be like with TM paying royalties. The market is just not worth it for them financially.  TM make a lot of other thing beside airsoft.

1 hour ago, PPM05 said:

To this day many Japanese companies have a "holier than thou" approach to foreign markets, that may have been fine 15 years ago when their products were head and shoulders above the rest ... not so much nowadays.

it's not a holier than thou attitude. look at my above post it is not financially worth it for the Japanese companies to officially export airsoft, Airsoft is a niche market and the big companies are not that big. That's why stuff goes out of stock all the time they don't have the production capacity to constantly produce all their products, stuff is made in cycled batches.   

On 11/19/2019 at 10:25 AM, wildething said:

They really don't care.

Seems like every industry in Japan is like that regarding international sales. If you're into their entertainment, anime's fairly accessible, and to a lesser degree their films and live-action dramas, but they offer next to nothing in terms of a sustained fan base for music. I can't imagine such a small market like airsoft still is would be any different. The price of their high-end AEG and GBBR offerings is prohibitive, and their legacy AEG line has readily accessible and cheaper alternatives from Taiwanese manufacturers.

21 hours ago, wildething said:

For marui to be officially interest in out side of Japan and have formal exports they would have to bend over to some one like cybergun or they would spend for ever in court fighting copyright. If you think TM is expensive now just see what it would be like with TM paying royalties. The market is just not worth it for them financially.  TM make a lot of other thing beside airsoft.

Fair enough, the end result is the same though. Tokyo Marui stuff, while technically really good in a lot of ways, is expensive and hard to find, and sometimes lacks features that are pretty standard in a lot of other brands. Please don't take my post as being "anti-Marui", I own and have owned numerous Tokyo Marui replicas, my first AEG was a Tokyo Marui FAMAS, and the best GBB pistols I have are Tokyo Marui. But these days, if someone is buying an AEG, unless they have money to burn, Tokyo Marui probably aren't that high on their list and for good reason.

I recently imported a "Made in Japan" Ibanez guitar that was only sold in their market. It's a fantastic instrument that won't ever see this side of the world unless you care enough to import it. (and pay super expensive shipping and import duties). They have tens if not hundreds of models like this that are thought for their domestic market right off the bat.
And guitars have a quite bigger international market than airsoft guns...

4 hours ago, Wingmann said:

I recently imported a "Made in Japan" Ibanez guitar that was only sold in their market. It's a fantastic instrument that won't ever see this side of the world unless you care enough to import it. (and pay super expensive shipping and import duties). They have tens if not hundreds of models like this that are thought for their domestic market right off the bat.
And guitars have a quite bigger international market than airsoft guns...

Anything manufactured in Japan worth having is surely worth the premium it costs. Play your cards right and it becomes an investment that pays dividends emotionally and functionally in the years to come. At least that's what I try telling myself each time I buy what feels like a million yen Final Fantasy or Ghost in the Shell item.

Archived