GHK x Umarex Glock 17

blobface

7 minutes ago, blobface said:

From your impression do you think they can introduce an RMR / MOS cut easily in the future? Or would it "eat" into the void of the BCG/BBU? 

The design isn't suited for RMR cuts because it's a circular cross section vs a moon shape.

They'll have to revise the design for any MOS guns if they get the approval from UX to make them, but in any case their design should have the best blowback on any of the pistols available today.

I did ask them about doing a G19; they said that they don't have plans yet (i.e. UX only gave them a licence to do the G17 Gen3.

Honestly I felt like they should've went with the Gen5.  But I suspect UX wanted this gun to serve dual markets; airsoft and LEO training.  I just realised that with the lighter mags on the G17, and the (what ppl in the know told me) a realistic trigger weight and break, it'll be heavily marketed towards LE agencies for cheap training tools.  That's probably why they're only allowed to make the Gen3, that's likely the most common version of the G17 for LE Agencies around the world.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, intinerious said:

I was at the MOA show and I fondled the GHK Glock.

I've got pics but it's the same stuff that's already available online so I won't bother uploading.  Here's a couple of points to take away:

- Magazine is light.  It can take 22kg gas and the design is similar to the prowin one.  Mag body is likely made by extrusion and not casting hence the weight.

- The slide is basically a bolt carrier group.  The nozzle's not as big as a GBBR but it's bigger than anything else available on pistols

- disassembly "just like a real glock" as in no need to pull slide all the way back before being able to slide it off the frame

- output valve in the mag is huge, looks like something you can find on a GBBR.

- proprietary everything, save for the barrel and bucking being TM Spec

- rotary dial hop up adjustment that's in line with the barrel.  I assume it uses a leaf spring to apply pressure.  I'm not a fan of that.  You need to remove the entire inner barrel assembly to adjust hop up however.

- racking the slide is smooth.  No more hammer "bump" for a BBU to ride over

fits real glock sights and I think mag catches.  Not sure whether it fits real anything else.  Rear plate on the slide isn't RS spec, so it's proprietary.

Thank you but what was th frame like?? It looks decent quality but what do you think. 

^^ Think maybe he meant material wise. As in, is the frame polymer same or comparable to RS Glock or the current best in market frames (IMO, WE or Guarder but I know not everyone agrees and I've never handled a real Glock so 😛 )

11 hours ago, intinerious said:

Not sure whether it fits real anything else. ...

Small note to add that I catched is that RS magazine floor plates are compatible directly out of the box. Small detail but nice :) 

Not sure what my "want level" is on this. I am focused on the up coming WE Glock 19 GEN5 MOS release (unless it was, I am afraid that maybe, it has been shut down by this new official Umarex/GHK Glock license announcement :( ?)

The idea is cool, the design looks innovative to say the least and very RS like. But a Glock 17 GEN3 in 2019 just feels pretty meh at this point to be honest. But I can understand the reasoning behind it as per comments above regarding LE training market etc.

We shall see 😛 

2 hours ago, NonEx said:

Small note to add that I catched is that RS magazine floor plates are compatible directly out of the box. Small detail but nice :) 

Seen as they're remaking everything, wish they'd gone with back charging inlet valve instead of bottom, like the VFC FNX45 (I'm sure there are more like that but can't think of any of the top of my head)... the ability to take RS floor plates / mag extension without the need to remove them every time to recharge gas is great. 

16 hours ago, NonEx said:

^^ Think maybe he meant material wise. As in, is the frame polymer same or comparable to RS Glock or the current best in market frames (IMO, WE or Guarder but I know not everyone agrees and I've never handled a real Glock so 😛 )

My Bad , I thought that had already been mentioned . It's as close as we have ever seen to the real Glock material . At least on the prototype anyway 

41 minutes ago, icolater said:

I’m genuinely excited. GHK make the best Gas blowback rifles on the market today. This could be a genre defining product. 

Yeah, this could be the turning point of airsoft GBB pistols, finally doing away with the legacy BBUs where they existed mostly to reinforce plastic slides that were there due to Japanese laws. Hopefully all Taiwanese GBBPs of the future could finally be free to innovate without worrying solely about parts compatibility. 

On 12/16/2019 at 6:57 PM, icolater said:

Thank you but what was th frame like?? It looks decent quality but what do you think. 

I've never fired a real Glock before so I don't have a reference point to compare; but it looks and feels like what a real gun lower frame should be in my mind.

It's a matte frame that looks like it is some sort of fibre nylon reinforced polymer.

On 12/17/2019 at 3:58 AM, blobface said:

Seen as they're remaking everything, wish they'd gone with back charging inlet valve instead of bottom, like the VFC FNX45 (I'm sure there are more like that but can't think of any of the top of my head)... the ability to take RS floor plates / mag extension without the need to remove them every time to recharge gas is great. 

Oh yeah, real glock baseplates fit too.  The mags I think have to have the inlet valve at the bottom because it's extruded aluminium with a threaded plug with the inlet valve in the rear.  I suspect they're just changing the top and bottom part of the mag and reuse the middle part for the CO2 mags, hence why the inlet valve's at the bottom.  Plus, the shell of the mag I think would have walls that are too thin for threading an inlet valve.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:21 PM, icolater said:

This is going to be a game changer.....

Whilst it does look good, I've heard that quite a few times over the years and it never happens. I can see alot of folk being put off by a high price tag and proprietary parts

22 hours ago, Cannonfodder80 said:

Whilst it does look good, I've heard that quite a few times over the years and it never happens. I can see alot of folk being put off by a high price tag and proprietary parts

Parts that should be readily available on samoon’s web site.  I think the price of (rumoured) $350 to $400 is a steal when you consider the steel slide, rails and internal parts. 

And yet you can pick up a skirmishable GBB Glock for £150.

As good a price as it is, you have to look at it alongside what’s out there and see how it stacks up to someone who is new and doesn’t care what it’s made out of.

If it came in at the same price, then it would be a no brainier, and then it might be revolutionary

46 minutes ago, Got Wood? said:

And yet you can pick up a skirmishable GBB Glock for £150.

As good a price as it is, you have to look at it alongside what’s out there and see how it stacks up to someone who is new and doesn’t care what it’s made out of.

If it came in at the same price, then it would be a no brainier, and then it might be revolutionary

Exactly. If something far cheaper will give the same performance then many will simply ignore it.

3 hours ago, Got Wood? said:

But that is a fraction of the market they could have. The best way to make it a huge success is to leave no argument for buying something else, which in this case is TM price point and aftermarket support.

Have to admit though, I am tempted to see how these turn out!

And with your argument (DANGER SPOILER/SPAM ALERT!!) you make me think about a skirmishable pistol that I do not like for the looks BUT may well be a nice addition:

https://eu.novritsch.com/product/novritsch-airsoft-pistol/

How would you feel about a lower price GBB (not a Glock) that SEEMS to tick all the boxes and with a lower price?

3 hours ago, Got Wood? said:

The best way to make it a huge success is to leave no argument for buying something else, which in this case is TM price point and aftermarket support.

The aftermarket support isn't within GHK's control unless they junk their design and just make a TM clone. GHK can either strike out on their own, in which case the gun isn't compatible with TM parts, or they can make something compatible with the TM, in which case they have to cut corners to compete with WE and airsofters end up in the same place we did with the AR-15 AEG (where half of all airsoft guns sold are a straight clone of a 26-year-old design). GHK have attracted good aftermarket support of their original designs and their factory support is second to none.

The price point isn't a free choice either. GHK can either make the gun the best they can make it and sell it on its own strengths ($350 is less than it costs to assemble a likely vastly inferior Guarder/Volante steel Glock), or they can cheap out and cut corners to bring the price down radically, in which case we would be left with a pot-metal G17 that wasn't compatible with TM parts and was still more expensive than a WE.

5 hours ago, Cannonfodder80 said:

If something far cheaper will give the same performance then many will simply ignore it.

Then let them ignore it. Chasing the lowest common denominairsofter has stunted innovation for a decade or more. We don't want or need GHK to eviscerate their guns to make them price competitive with WE any more than we want or need Sony to gut the PS5 to compete with the NES Classic.

2 hours ago, Cannonfodder80 said:

The supply of spare parts etc is down to GHK though, unless a third party is responsible for making and distributing parts

GHK's spares are second to none - you can get pretty much any individual component you like from Samoon, who I assume are either a factory outlet or the primary distributor. A few manufacturers take this approach - WE with KYAirsoft and KWC with SkyPro, although that seems to be broken at the moment... Silverback sell directly, KJW sell virtually any spare via support requests, KWA do a mix of both, I think. It's really only when you do have access to good factory support that you realise that some of the worst value for money in airsoft is the heinously expensive airsoft upgrades forced on you by the loss or breakage of tiny components you just can't get elsewhere.

58 minutes ago, Got Wood? said:

Sorry, may have come across a bit grumpy, I am looking forward to this. I just don’t think it’s going to push all other Glocks out of the market, that’s all :)

You didn't - sorry if I did too! There's no way this thing will kill the average airsoft Glock in the foreseeable future - most airsofters correctly assess their sidearm as a glorified holster-stuffer that never gets used and won't spend $350+ on one. TM are seemingly incapable of revising existing models, are legally prohibited from using ferrous metals in their handguns and can't even work their way up to GFP, let alone steel. What I'd like is if this style and grade of full-steel prebuild - where the gun is designed this way from the start and built this way from the factory - becomes common. There's no good reason why Nova, Mafioso, Detonator, PAC, FPR and the like couldn't start providing more advanced designs for the ludicrous amounts of money they charge.

Archived