wot am best SUSAT?

ardrummer292

As the title says, I'm looking for a good quality replica SUSAT. I've gotten spoiled by the clarity and durability of G&P ACOGs, so I'm looking for similar qualities in a SUSAT.

The following companies manufacture replicas:

G&G

Ares (pretty hard to find nowadays)

WE (seemingly re-labeled as ACM)

Non-specific ACM company

Does anyone have feedback on any of these models?

Yeah it's a joke.  It's also a rule from 2008 and I don't reckon Marlowe's been on here in a long time, it's also not like this board is flooded with content.

Personally, I've not tried any of the replicas to compare to the real one, but I've also never seen a good review of any of them.  Not enough demand to make enough quantity/revisions for them to get good I'd think, but I'd be interested to hear anything contrary.

The real thing is an absolute brick, the sight picture is terrible compared to good modern optics and being accurate or getting a good group is just way harder than it should be, but that's 80s tech for ya.

OKi trying to get semi back on topic. I do not really know what a SUSAT is or what it relates to in terms of build/replica/gear config but it looks very similar to a Elcan SpectreDR to me. Would a replica of that be an option or it needs to be this specific one for a loadout replica build?

2 hours ago, NonEx said:

I do not really know what a SUSAT is or what it relates to in terms of build/replica/gear config

The SUSAT (Sight Unit Small Arms, Trilux) was a 4x optic fitted to all SA80-series (now L85-series) carbines. At the time it was absolutely cutting-edge; I don't think another military fitted an optic as standard until the issue of the G36 12 years later in 1997. It's considered pretty horrible by modern standards (as, indeed, is the G36's), being astonishingly heavy for its capability, having extremely unforgiving eye relief and a reticle which obscures almost all of your target.

2 hours ago, NonEx said:

it looks very similar to a Elcan SpectreDR to me. Would a replica of that be an option or it needs to be this specific one for a loadout replica build?

This is almost certainly going on an L85 or contemporary British weapon, since ardrummer292 is (for some unknown reason) enthusiastic about British equipment. Although the ACOG was issued as an "Urgent Operational Requirement" during the war in Afghanistan, the SpectreDR is indeed current military issue. However, if he's doing an impression of British gear anywhere between 1985 and about 2005 he'll be stuck with the SUSAT.

8 hours ago, PureSilver said:

However, if he's doing an impression of British gear anywhere between 1985 and about 2005 he'll be stuck with the SUSAT.

Yep, spot on. This will be going on a L110 Minimi built up to early Iraq spec, a la SFSG in TF Black. The very tail end of its service. Ref photo of my desired setup is attached.

B682EA57-C9A8-4C47-91D7-6B1C08C8FFD6.jpeg\

This is almost certainly going on an L85 or contemporary British weapon, since ardrummer292 is (for some unknown reason) enthusiastic about British equipment.

"Enthusiastic" about UK kit... that's an interesting way to put it. :)

Doing any sort of US SF/SOF kit whilst living/playing in SEALtown USA (as I do) means you have a good chance of running into dudes who are in your kit reference pics, whether they're dropping their kids off to play or participating in games themselves. Figure it's a bit odd for a team fella to see his old armor carrier worn by some sweaty nerd, so I opted for a less "local" kit.

A couple of years ago I wanted to find a decent SUSAT for use on a STALKER LR300 build. I could not for the life of me find any that were positively reviewed, and the one I ultimately went with ('Matrix') has decent glass, decent zoom, a clear reticle- and an inch, generously, of eye relief, making it unusable on an AR. I did a bit more research and found that that was about the best I'd get.

Honestly, if you want it, I'd be happy to just give it to you next time I come down to Ballahack.

1 hour ago, CatgutViolin said:

A couple of years ago I wanted to find a decent SUSAT for use on a STALKER LR300 build. I could not for the life of me find any that were positively reviewed, and the one I ultimately went with ('Matrix') has decent glass, decent zoom, a clear reticle- and an inch, generously, of eye relief, making it unusable on an AR. I did a bit more research and found that that was about the best I'd get.

Good feedback, thanks!

Honestly, if you want it, I'd be happy to just give it to you next time I come down to Ballahack.

I mean, if you're okay with that, I'd be immensely grateful. When do you reckon you'll be out next?

4 hours ago, ardrummer292 said:

I mean, if you're okay with that, I'd be immensely grateful. When do you reckon you'll be out next?

Honestly not sure, I hadn't looked too much into winter games (driving from NOVA can be a bit of a problem if there's snow). If you want it ASAP, I'd be happy to ship it to you instead if you don't mind covering shipping.

14 hours ago, CatgutViolin said:

Honestly not sure, I hadn't looked too much into winter games (driving from NOVA can be a bit of a problem if there's snow). If you want it ASAP, I'd be happy to ship it to you instead if you don't mind covering shipping.

I'm in no rush. I've got loads of other work to do to my Minimi before it's ready for a fancy new optics package. Just let me know when you plan on coming out and I'll make sure I'm there as well. Oh, and thank you!

13 hours ago, NonEx said:

^^ Awesome airsoft buddy right here people! :) 

Aye, this is what "community" looks like. :)

The real one sometimes doesn't hold zero, but only because people forget you need the windage screws to both be fully tightened and with their locking nuts and lock washers attached.  Eye relief dictates you have to be slightly pushing in to the tiny rubber eye cup, easy to do with just webbing, pretty bloody hard in osprey.

I’ve been using ACOGs for over a decade now. Poor eye relief doesn’t bother me. :)

Semi-related: does anyone know if a replica Shield red dot/J-Point exists? Looks like the Shield SUSAT wing mount (pictured above) uses a different bolt pattern than the commonplace Docter and RMR mini dots. I’d rather not splash out for a real optic, especially considering the likelihood of it getting shot out.

does anyone know if a replica Shield red dot/J-Point exists? [...] I’d rather not splash out for a real optic, especially considering the likelihood of it getting shot out.

I’m not aware of any clone but IIRC the Shields’ polycarbonate lenses are BB-proof. I remember them being specifically advertised as such by UK airsoft retailers.

Archived