A real steel "sniper pistol"

DJradio

• 4 weeks later...

Manurhin has been a maker of precision shooting guns from a looong time; you can still find one every so often.

Chambered in 357 means that you can also use 38 (same size, just little shorter and will leave a mess of dirt in the chamber and barrel but way cheaper).

That said I have a 6" S&W K14 because I prefer to use the proper caliber for the proper gun in my collection but most of the use given is for a Baikal IJ35M (dare to say older than you) in 22 and cross handed got 268 points out of 300 last month (244 with a factory grade 9mms ups compact) and we shoot single handed no support 25 meters away so can´t see the need of "sniper pistol" with bipod and sight. Trust the skills, not the tool.

It was made for the French GIGN as a short range sniping weapon. The video is quite interesting and goes into why the GIGN wanted something like this (sniping from very confined spaces where a rifle isn't practical, being one). It's also an absurdly well made revolver. I think it's also important to note that this is a pistol in a sniping role, not a pistol with some sniper accessories to be a more accurate pistol, if that makes sense?

As a masterpiece, made with "jewelry machining tolerances" I agree that ANY manurhin is a piece of cake.

BUT for a 5" barrel sniper platform I would rather go even for a 10/22 (in your shelves since 1964) and the same amount of dedication/machining time to enhance the shooter ability to absorb the recoil, reduce noise, reduce penetration... seriously, if we are talking about "100 yards precision shots" the .22 is the winner by far, and since we are already in "sniperland" with bipods and sights you can not beat the lead wasps.

On the side of penetration also have to agree, the bullet is easy to stop; at 25 metres a 2p coin will stop the .22 (so if you are after a ghetto bulletproof vest be my guest, get the bling and the cringe altogether as the coin will just fold a little; shot the queen plenty of times and never got holes).

I guess they wanted stopping power. That said, possibly one of the only vaguely similar weapons around, the Russian SV-99 uses .22, it can be deployed without a stock, and just a pistol grip for use in spaces where a stock would get in the way, as you say, very accurate at short range, and easily silenced. 

• 1 month later...

Archived