Can the slide be cracked by the acction of the outer barrel?

HamletV

Hi guys!, I have this idea arround my head for a week!, my g17 slide has a weird wear on the top of the slide like i show in the first photo on that green line, the outer barrel sinks correctly as always But it's hitting in the top part, now has a mark that it looks like it was cracking a little bit. I don't know if this is something normal or not. I have made another thread about this But I only have one reply!(that I appreciate it!).

I don't have any other problem with the gun but that thing is bothering me so much that I have that gun a side without use for now trying to figure it out what's wrong and fearing that the slide will crack or broke apart in the near future :(

IMG_20200409_185412.jpg

IMG_20200407_200137.jpg

IMG_20200407_200202.jpg

1 hour ago, Wingman said:

Does the crack appear on the inside of the slide as well?

Original batch of PPQ's had this issue if you used the replacement steel barrel. I believe they made modifications to the slide and the barrel.

No, inside the slide looks ok, nothing that looks broken, but the outer barrel of the PPQ it's compatible with a glock17?

7 hours ago, renegadecow said:

I think he just mentioned the PPQ as it is the most notorious for having this sort of damage. But in principle, all tilting barrel pistols with a square edge at the chamber as the locking surface are susceptible to the sort of wear.

So this is a normal thing?, there is no risk that the barrel ends up breaking or something? Would you be so kind and share some photos of your glock so I can see the wearing on the top of the slide?

Definitely not a normal thing, just possible because of the design. Barrels can break too, usually seen on WE Glocks and Sigs but has become less common presumably due to WE improving their alloys. Only have a G42 myself and don't shoot it a lot so there's not much wear to show. 

Can’t you take a picture further away? It’s a bit hard to tell where the damage is and how substantial it is so close.

What brand/model of Glock is it?

It shouldn’t really be under any stress as such, only a rubbing motion as it the slide pushes the barrel back and down. The two shouldn’t really be colliding.

Wear on the inside top edge of the slide is normal, but it looks like you’ve got a crack on the outside edge of the ejection port? Although if it’s not on the inside as well, could it just be a crack in what’s possibly paint/surface finish?

It's on the corners of the chamber window. It is a high stress part for a brief moment, simulating the lockup function of Browning's tilting barrel. In the worst cases (PPQ) the top part of the slide breaks like a banana peel. To stop damage from happening without changing out any of the parts, you can modify the outer barrel so it has a sloped edge where it locks up with the slide or you can turn it into a non-tilting barrel completely.

1. 2 hours ago, renegadecow said:

It's on the corners of the chamber window. It is a high stress part for a brief moment, simulating the lockup function of Browning's tilting barrel. In the worst cases (PPQ) the top part of the slide breaks like a banana peel. To stop damage from happening without changing out any of the parts, you can modify the outer barrel so it has a sloped edge where it locks up with the slide or you can turn it into a non-tilting barrel completely.

Uff...... You caugh me with that! 

2. On which part should I modify?, on the green one?, the yellow?, or the blue?

IMG_20200411_213832.jpg

Archived