T4E HDR 50..What fun!

Wingman

So, I bought one of these T4E HDR 50 revolvers a few months ago as I'm also into paintball and I wanted to know if they are any good and as fun to use as the H8R Gen 2 airsoft revolver of which I am a huge fan. They are.

I also found out about the .50 cal Hard Rubber Pellets along with other munitions that can be used in this revolver and bought about 500 " rubber rounds". While I've used paintballs and First Strike paint munitions in this revolver with very good results, these rubber rounds are much different and could never be used for airsoft. They too big, too heavy, smack hard and the range, while good, is nothing that a normal airsoft pistol or revolver is capable of.

Obviously, this cant be used in airsoft as is. However, I was wondering about making a airsoft bb load that would turn it into a "mini shotgun revolver" or "mini grenade launcher".

Any thoughts or ideas?

Did you get the underbarrel launcher for it yet?

Seeing my local airsoft store's site have that made me consider buying it just for the Wtf? effect when I bring it as a prop for the (post-Apocalyptic) RPG convention enxt year... Heck, don't balme me, their theme this year was Apocalypse... And then it got shutdown with lockdown like all other public events... They obviously booked the theme first... :D

I went a little Sci-Fi with mine. I added a micro red-dot sight and added a riser to the lower barrel rail (about 1/4 inch) and this allows me to bring my TLR light light back towards the trigger guard a bit and now I can activate the light with my trigger finger. I do have a mini shot shell launcher, buts not that easy to activate quickly.

Getting between 27-30 good shots from each C02 bulb. Trigger is not too bad once you get used to the 2 stage action. For a "smooth-bore" its pretty accurate.

At 30 feet, those rubber balls plow thru over 3/4 inch of cardboard. First Strike Paintball rounds work pretty sweet. I might try four+ .25 bb's sandwiched between 2 pieces of thin card board just for laughs.

These HDR 50 and the H8R revolvers are just super pieces of very affordable gear.

And they're revolvers!

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2020 at 12:30 PM, sandstorm said:

Here, it's branded by Umarex, and they have a specific launcher for the HDR revolver:

https://www.proairsoft.com/airsoft/t4e-home-defence/t4e-aseet/umarex-t4e-hdr-launcher-p-5509.html

Looks like it specifically made to fit with the rail/trigger guard on HDR.

Watching the video, it isn't a launcher as such, but takes dye marker cartridges for home defence. May not be UK legal as a "noxious substance launcher". 

8 hours ago, Colin_The+Ferret said:

Watching the video, it isn't a launcher as such, but takes dye marker cartridges for home defence. May not be UK legal as a "noxious substance launcher". 

At least here it has rubber .50 inch balls and not dye marker. But like you say, legislations vary. 

17 hours ago, Colin_The+Ferret said:

If it's just dye, it wouldn't fall under section 5 as it would be an inert dye.

Sketchy legal area though, like the marker gels you can buy, but this is also a replica firearm added in to the mix...

So even thought it is not a replica of a "firearm" that actually exists, it can still be considered a replica firearm there?

It's also designed to be a "paintball" marker/revolver (and is getting good use over here), what are the rules applying to paintball guns in  England? Some of the latest creations available can look "real gun like".

I'm "very" old school and have used Phantom pump action paintball guns for over 30 years (pistol, carbine and rifle lengths) and I using one of my HDR 50' as a sidearm as a back-up now. Would that be legal there?

7 hours ago, shmook said:

If it's just dye, it wouldn't fall under section 5 as it would be an inert dye.

Sketchy legal area though, like the marker gels you can buy, but this is also a replica firearm added in to the mix...

Walther produce pepper spray cartridges that are the same size as the dye markers. That probably brings it in to the "easily convertible" category.

On 7/16/2020 at 5:23 PM, Wingman said:

So even thought it is not a replica of a "firearm" that actually exists, it can still be considered a replica firearm there?

Yes. Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006:

38. Meaning of "realistic imitation firearm"

(1) In sections 36 and 37 “realistic imitation firearm” means an imitation firearm which—

(a) has an appearance that is so realistic as to make it indistinguishable, for all practical purposes, from a real firearm[.]

(7) In this section—

“real firearm” means—

(b) something falling within a description which could be used for identifying, by reference to their appearance, the firearms falling within a category of actual modern firearms which, even though they include firearms of different makes or models (whether existing or discontinued) or both, all have the same or a similar appearance.

(8) In subsection (7) “modern firearm” means any firearm other than one the appearance of which would tend to identify it as having a design and mechanism of a sort first dating from before the year 1870.

Virtually all airsoft guns in the UK are considered realistic imitation firearms (RIFs), so this is not an unusual classification for gun-shaped-objects at all.

On 7/16/2020 at 5:23 PM, Wingman said:

I'm "very" old school and have used Phantom pump action paintball guns for over 30 years (pistol, carbine and rifle lengths) and I using one of my HDR 50' as a sidearm as a back-up now. Would that be legal there?

Yes, the revolver would likely be legal (see below). The launcher, however, is almost certainly not going to be legal. As @Colin_The+Ferret says, it is chambered for Walther PDP cartridges. The PDP ("Personal Defence Pistol") cartridges are teargas and pepper spray; both are prohibited under s.5(1)(b) of the Firearms Act 1968. There is absolutely no way anything designed to fire, or capable of firing, those cartridges is going to be legal here. The only reason the launcher exists at all is because the revolver itself is evidently designed, even if it's not it's primary function, to fire rubber balls as a less lethal defence weapon. The launcher is evidently expected to provide a less-less-lethal option than the rubber balls.

Archived