Apps for socially distanced games?

ninja master of coffee

It seems like games involving props and physical objectives are likely to be prohibited or just a bad idea in a lot of places for a while. Something I looked into a while back for different reasons was using battlefield management apps to control games, so things like capturable objectives, etc. that can be tracked with smart phones. Looking at the google play store, the Battlemap app is now dead, and Personal Eye System is no longer available. So, are there any apps in this vein that could work? Maps and objectives would need to be interactable for multiple players. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Well, potentially marshals though where I play we don't actually have marshals. The only apps I can currently find seem to not be functional currently and didn't quite do what I'm thinking of anyway. The concept I had was to have capture points on a GPS map, with people signing into teams, someone with a phone on a given team would then be able to capture that location, so you'd have objectives but without having to have props that people need to actually touch. Most of the apps seem to more be about tracking player locations, which is kind of a different issue. 

But people touching things is really the least of the issues. You’d have a safe zone of 40+ people all in a confined space to start with?

Plus, this relies on people taking their mobile phones with them into games, and I’m confident I’m not the only person who thinks that’s a terrible idea. Don’t fancy getting my screen shot out just so I can get back to the hobby a few weeks earlier.

You don't need an app for 'socially distanced games', you don't need a physical object to be your objective. That's trivial.

What you need is to think about your safezone, that's where your players will be closest together.

Ok, to explain because I think there's some crossed wires going on here. This isn't for immediate start up of games, I'm frankly cautious of the idea and where I'm based in Spain, it isn't even allowed currently; I guess in a few weeks it will be which is why I want to get my head round how to solve problems now, not in a few weeks. The safe zone aspect is also different, though obviously that is a concern, it's less of an issue here because there isn't a limited safe zone, there's a staging area that we can expand so that people can maintain appropriate distancing, and not touch each others stuff. Now, that obviously IS a major issue for commercial sites in the UK. So, the issue then becomes how to actually run games once they're allowed again, people bring mobile phones into games all the time here. 

Ah okay, being located in Spain is a big factor for this making a little more sense.

I would imagine the only way to make it work is use car parks/outdoor car boots as the safe zone, and then no knife kills so as to discourage people from getting up close to each other and whispering in each other’s ears etc.

My regular use to operate a wet willy = free chocolate bar policy. Guess that’s out the window!

Sorry, yes, should have led with that. Yeah, probably no wet willies for a while yet, we live in dark times. The safe zone for my club's site is pretty much just some of the terrain we use, so it's a fairly easy job to just get people to space out more into it. Briefings and chrono will be tricky, though I suspect a combination of masks and social distancing is going to be in force for the foreseeable future. Also, there are things I'm not asking about here because they're problems being approached by other people, the mood here is one of caution, we don't want a resurgence, and we don't want airsoft to be viewed as problematic, though I suspect people going to watch football is going to be way more a problem in the next month or so... 

Archived