GHK AUG H-Bar LMG w/ GBBR hicap

CatgutViolin

59 minutes ago, PureSilver said:

@CatgutViolin Could you go into a bit more detail about the bolt catch modification? Mine is doing the same sort of thing (not wanting to snap back down after being engaged) so I'd like to make the same fix, if yours works well!

Sure. So the problem is basically that the bolt catch is magnetic, rather than spring-loaded, which causes some pretty drastic falloff in strength. It's a lot harder to design a bolt catch that is weak enough for a mag to engage it when empty, but strong enough to return when the bolt is cycled. Basically it's a bad design, but we can work with it.

What I did was pretty simple- I extracted the bolt catch and dropped a 3x1mm N52 neodymium magnet into the bottom. If this causes the bolt catch to interact with the bolt when a mag is not inserted, remove the silicone buffer from the bolt catch. The extra magnetic force helps the bolt catch to reset the bolt, and allows it to function in any orientation.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Very late, but to my knowledge the Ratworx bipod is not modeled online. I wouldn't trust a 3D printed bipod anyways; pot metal ones have enough problems as it is.

Anyways, I finally got around to recording an overview video for my team channel. Most of what's in this video has been covered earlier in the thread, but shown in motion, and it also includes some gameplay footage from its first outing last year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2021 at 1:18 PM, PureSilver said:

You're a hero, thank you! I've ordered 3x1, 3x1.5 and 3x2mm options to see what fits best.

I’m still not getting the kind of reliable function I want out of the bolt stop; the magnets are inconsistently either too strong or not strong enough. I’m thinking about converting it to a traditional spring-return design, probably by putting it on a stick that goes through the hole in the trigger box and putting a spring around the stick that pushes against a C-clip. I’ll let you know if that works for me.

3 minutes ago, PureSilver said:

I’m still not getting the kind of reliable function I want out of the bolt stop; the magnets are inconsistently either too strong or not strong enough. I’m thinking about converting it to a traditional spring-return design, probably by putting it on a stick that goes through the hole in the trigger box and putting a spring around the stick that pushes against a C-clip. I’ll let you know if that works for me.

Yeah, do let me know how that goes. The magnetic bolt catch really is a pain to tune.

• 2 months later...
On 3/1/2022 at 3:10 PM, CatgutViolin said:

Very late, but to my knowledge the Ratworx bipod is not modeled online. I wouldn't trust a 3D printed bipod anyways; pot metal ones have enough problems as it is.

Anyways, I finally got around to recording an overview video for my team channel. Most of what's in this video has been covered earlier in the thread, but shown in motion, and it also includes some gameplay footage from its first outing last year.

I wrote theme, but they never responded.

Since it’s only for airsoft, I don’t care about stability. I just care about weight.
I only want to have the LMG-bonus on the games (use of boxmag, etc). That’s why I need the look of an AUG Hbar.

I think I have to learn and design my own copy of the ratworx bipod.

Archived