Volante BBU in an Aluminum Slide on Green Gas?

aznriptide859

As title states, I want to use Volante's BBU because more kick me likey. However, as I initially understood it from Volante's initial marketing, the BBU seemed to be exclusively used for helping achieve higher recoil in steel slides. I wanted to know if I don't plan to use CO2 or anything more powerful than green gas, would it be OK to use this BBU in an aluminum slide? Or should I stick with something more standard?

I want to get two, one for a Nova Staccato P slide, the other for a Shooters Design STI Executive slide; both are extremely rare, and I don't want to risk at all blowing either of the slide to pieces :(

Thanks!

Barrel lugs. Of course you can fit the lugs without completely deleting them. They tend to disfigured the inside of slide, and cause other damage depending on the make of the slide and make of the barrel/chamber with the increased force with the volante. Using a stock plastic barrel is fine, but the lugs snap the barrel or shatter, so the same goes with that. You can also add a spring between the outer and inner barrel to aid in function too.

Any SD and Nova slide for any gun can withstand the force from the Volante. They are 6065-T6 aluminum for the SD, 7075 for the Nova. To compare, KWC uses the cheapest cast zinc to make their heavy blowback C02 1911's. Putting a buffer will benefit you from wearing out the back of the slide's dust cover and frame, though. Which is what you should be thinking a little more about. Oh yeah, becareful of the slide stop too. They bend with force with stock cast and aluminum slide stops.

On 7/10/2020 at 4:29 PM, aznriptide859 said:

I wanted to know if I don't plan to use CO2 or anything more powerful than green gas, would it be OK to use this BBU in an aluminum slide?

I haven't tried this with the 1911 version of the Stratos. However, I have done this with the Glock Stratos, with a PGC slide and outer barrel set. I've tried it with both green gas (sensible) and CO2 (absolutely violent). The Glock version of the Stratos ships with recoil buffers, and I fitted them - without them, with CO2 the PGC slide was hitting the front chassis with such force it was deforming the slide at the impact points.

I don't believe the 1911 version ships with recoil buffers - or at least, mine didn't. The gun I was going to use mine in (it doesn't fit) is a Mafioso Airsoft Kimber LAPD SWAT TLE II, which is full steel. That's already plenty violent with CO2, and my tech fitted a CowCow RM1, a telescopic guide rod with a very stiff secondary spring to help dampen the last ~5mm of slide travel. I'd definitely recommend one of those.

I haven't ground any bits off anything Glock or 1911 related and I haven't experienced any damage from anything related to the outer barrel, even though the Kimber is far more violent with CO2 than it would be with a Stratos and green gas. However:

On 7/11/2020 at 7:06 AM, Gunnman said:

Oh yeah, be careful of the slide stop too. They bend with force with stock cast and aluminum slide stops.

This I absolutely agree with; my Kimber bent its first slide stop just like this. That slide stop was steel, to give you some idea of the force involved. The RM1 has prevented any further damage.

3 hours ago, PureSilver said:

I haven't tried this with the 1911 version of the Stratos. However, I have done this with the Glock Stratos, with a PGC slide and outer barrel set. I've tried it with both green gas (sensible) and CO2 (absolutely violent). The Glock version of the Stratos ships with recoil buffers, and I fitted them - without them, with CO2 the PGC slide was hitting the front chassis with such force it was deforming the slide at the impact points.

I don't believe the 1911 version ships with recoil buffers - or at least, mine didn't. The gun I was going to use mine in (it doesn't fit) is a Mafioso Airsoft Kimber LAPD SWAT TLE II, which is full steel. That's already plenty violent with CO2, and my tech fitted a CowCow RM1, a telescopic guide rod with a very stiff secondary spring to help dampen the last ~5mm of slide travel. I'd definitely recommend one of those.

I haven't ground any bits off anything Glock or 1911 related and I haven't experienced any damage from anything related to the outer barrel, even though the Kimber is far more violent with CO2 than it would be with a Stratos and green gas. However:

This I absolutely agree with; my Kimber bent its first slide stop just like this. That slide stop was steel, to give you some idea of the force involved. The RM1 has prevented any further damage.

Yeah, if you wanted a rod-less setup. You can use a WA spring buffer guide for use with green gas

d381524334-2.jpg

Ironically, the spring buffer is rated for Co2 with an aluminum slide for the WA guide. It's like WA knew people would buy aftermarket metal slides lol

Also, a sorbo pad, a lock washer with the diamter of guide, and a washer over both acts as a decent buffer. Not the best setup but works

4 hours ago, PureSilver said:

I haven't ground any bits off anything Glock or 1911 related and I haven't experienced any damage from anything related to the outer barrel, even though the Kimber is far more violent with CO2 than it would be with a Stratos and green gas. 

Depends. I have a lot of problems with aftermarket chambers and aftermarket slides. Jamming, marring of lugs in the slide. Maybe I just naturally pick the wrong parts to combine lol. 

Nooo!

It's just something to look out for if you have problems with excessive jamming. I would just buy the BBU, assemble it, and shoot it  about 250 rounds and go from there before taking a file or dremel to anything or removing any material.

Archived