Rechargeable CR123A Usage in Airsoft Accessories?

aznriptide859

So I know that a lot of real steel manufacturers (Streamlight, Surefire, etc.) don't recommend using rechargeable CR123A batteries for their lights/lasers, mainly because these manufacturers state that  rechargeable batteries tend to have higher peak charged voltages than their lithium disposable counterparts. Surefire has always stated that this will damage the electronic circuitry in their weaponlights, so for that reason, I've been using standard disposable CR123A's for all of my lights and lasers.

However, being the cheap economical bum that I am, I noticed that all of my G&P DBAL-A2's slowly drain every single battery I leave in it, regardless of the switch position I put it in. Every time I test a DBAL for usage or for plinking, I end up leaving it for several months, and then realize they've completely drained out by the time I actually need to use it again. So, tired of paying $15 for a dozen Streamlight CR123A's every time, I want to find a rechargeable solution.

Because of the worry that Surefire has always stated for their weaponlights, I'm now wondering if the same applies for airsoft lights (mainly, clone X300U's, DBAL-A2's, and a CQBR-L). Does the increased fully charged 3.7v rating that most rechargeable CR123A's damage these kinds of accessories? Can most airsoft accessories use rechargeable CR123A batteries just fine?

Also, for those who do use good rechargeable CR123A's, what brand cell do you recommend? I already have a good programmable charger, so I just need some battery cells to invest in.

Thank you!

No idea on Airsoft clones any more (I used to run a clone M3 pistol light with an incandescent bulb, old school...) But for RCR123 batteries I'm happy with Olight. I have several nitecore 18650 batteries too, which are really good.

The rechargeable 123 batteries tend to run down a lot faster than disposable ones though, so carry spares, and some can be slightly fatter in the body and may be a tighter fit.

I can't say I have any experience with rechargeable CR123as but I do have some disposable Trustfire ones I bought back in 2011 for $1 each that have been sitting in a clone Surefire M900 and it's still as bright as the sun so maybe there is an issue with the DBAL?

1 hour ago, hitmanNo2 said:

I can't say I have any experience with rechargeable CR123as but I do have some disposable Trustfire ones I bought back in 2011 for $1 each that have been sitting in a clone Surefire M900 and it's still as bright as the sun so maybe there is an issue with the DBAL?

Yup definitely an issue with the DBAL, it happens on 3 of them I own.

Archived