G&G RK47E vs Cyma AK (upgrades required)

solitaire360

Hello everyone,

I started airsoft in 2005, and stopped around 2010 for family and financial reasons (with the odd game on and off since then), I say this as a kind of pre-apology for the possibly noob-like nature of my query - I aim to get back into the sport, hit the ground running, and this is where I hope you come in. This isn't a simple 'what gun should I get?' but more a 'what should I do to X AEG once I've got it, to make it more like Y AEG?' (hence the positioning of this particular thread in the technical section).

Still owning my ancient, trusty JG Aug A2, my first goal will be to earn my UKARA registration once more... and then the true fun shall commence!

So, as per the title, am looking to get an AK, and have over the past few months steadily acquired a Russian loadout to compliment it; I want the AEG to be medium-sized, so preferably in the area of an AK105. It should be able to take some beating both internally and externally, have a high rof (will preferably use an 11.1v LiPo), and shoot accurately at 330fps.

My budget is £300 (before battery and midcaps) and from looking at countless reviews, and several hours of YouTube, I've narrowed it down to two choices:

G&G RK47E - Comes straight out the box with internals that offer pretty much all the things I want, it seems; it's comparatively light, made from Aluminium, has a rather high rof (18-20rps on 11.1v, I gather) and the built in MOSFET can be programmed for burst fire. It's almost perfect...almost. But all that RIS... Feels somewhat sacrilegious to me, overly 'westernised' (for want of a better expression). I've always shied away from that sort of thing tbh - Multicam, countless M4 variants, FAST helmets, plastic holsters, etc. just not for me.

To be quite honest, I prefer the look of the AK105 almost untouched save for, say, a side mounted weaver rail for a Kobra red dot. 

Enter the Cyma CM040D - Looks precisely like what I want in an AEG AK, is cheap at (almost) half the price of the G&G, and is built out of steel. From what I understand, it's a VFC copy internally, which lends itself to being easier to upgrade; so that leads me to my main question (got there in the end):  

Please could you advise what it would take to get the latter up to the specs of the former, in terms of rof, internal longevity, accuracy, and reliability? Could I buy a CYMA AK and get it upgraded for the same cost of the G&G? I hasten to add that I'm certainly no airsoft engineer - I'll need to pay whoever I buy this from to do the job; with the Cyma being around £180, would the £120 in parts and labour be enough to get it to my desired, Russian holy grail of AEG's? 

Appreciate the advice in advance guys, apologies to the mods if this is in the wrong place.

All the best.

I've had the RK74E and two RK74CQB. All three are still in the team, me owning the last CQB model.
IF you are looking for a modernized AK, these are nice, as they have all the features... BUT you don't seem to want one of those, therefore I'd direct you towards an E&L gun.

We recently purchased an AK74 and AKM in the Black Friday discounts, and we paid 250-270€ for each of them.
The base is excellent for any internal job that shouldn't take much coin out of your pocket and give you an excellent performer.

Check the AK104 at Gunfire.

Archived