Political changes in Hong Kong and the possible impact on Airsoft?

Mike 8-{>

In recent weeks we have seem further erosion of democracy in Hong Kong. When Hong Kong was returned to China there were promises that it would retain the freedoms it had before. Sadly those promises have proved to be increasingly empty.

If I remember right China, despite being the source of huge amounts of cheap clone Airsoft kit, constantly shuts down factories producing Airsoft kit. Airsoft has always been huge in HK and players all over the world have benefited from the size of the Airsoft community in HK and the ecosystem of stores, manufacturers and vendors that has evolved as a result. Products that have been developed and manufactured there are shipped around the world and help keep new and exciting goodies appearing on our favourite vendors websites or in their shops.

With increasingly authoritarian control of HK by China how long before we see Airsoft banned in HK and all the Airsoft business we have bought from over the years get shut down by the authorities? Is this likely to happen? What would the impact be on Airsoft if we lost Airsoft in Hong Kong?

I don't know if this is the future, I hope it isn't, but I do worry about the way things seem to be heading.

Mike 8-{>

It is a concern no doubt, but HK has been under SAR governance for some time now with little impact on the businesses so far. From what I've seen myself when I've been over the businesses are doing well, or were until the pandemic.

• 11 months later...

Archived