Nobody talking about the Maru-Fes teaser?

Wingmann

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/21/2021 at 10:29 PM, hitmanNo2 said:

I think TM with a pricey aftermarket steel kit is the most likely way to end up there.

On 4/23/2021 at 3:38 PM, TheFull9 said:

Yeah I'm sold, I'll swap a steel body for some recoil, bolt functions and TM quality - pretty damn certain there'll be a good aftermarket.

The problem with this is that if a Marui has a metal body (regardless of what metal that is) the incentive for the aftermarket to release proper receivers is almost nil. The NGRS AKs have been out for years now and there's not even a hint of an aftermarket steel body for it, or even a barrel or top cover or anything else AFAIK.

If a steel kit did come out for these it would be costly (not necessarily not worth it, but costly) and require total disassembly of the gun to install - both of these make it of very niche appeal indeed. I'd love for one to come out, but I'd never bet on it.

On 4/23/2021 at 11:51 PM, Gunmane said:

I rather just watch Marui Man do his thing instead (I am now wanting him to star in a Japanese retelling of Die Hard now).

I didn't know how much I needed to see Marui Man stalking around in a wife-beater until I did.

On 5/5/2021 at 12:59 PM, Gunnman said:

Called that, didn't I? Next year they will unveal their umpteenth Hi-Capa and everyone will go wild. Can't wait, I love variety.

Come off it. TM make plenty of weird guns to offset their more conventional range, many of them unique (Type 89 AEG, SGR-12, KSG) or market-leading (basically every NGRS) or both (AA-12, M870, Type 89 GBBs, Mk.46 Mod.0). Recent releases have included weird Detonics variants, an all-new compact V10 1911, that LCP - there's tons of oddball stuff coming out.

An updated MP5 is a deeply overdue gun. Existing MP5 AEGs are either internally stagnant (TM and clones) or disastrously flawed (VFC), and the high-end ones (Avalon) are long out of production.

38 minutes ago, PureSilver said:

An updated MP5 is a deeply overdue gun. Existing MP5 AEGs are either internally stagnant (TM and clones) or disastrously flawed (VFC), and the high-end ones (Avalon) are long out of production.

The Avalon is VFC's second-gen MP5, and they're still in production. Aside from the weak stock motor, they're pretty great. The Marui does offer a lot more in terms of realism, but the Avalons are filling that high quality niche already. Just saying.

1 hour ago, PureSilver said:

Come off it. TM make plenty of weird guns to offset their more conventional range, many of them unique (Type 89 AEG, SGR-12, KSG) or market-leading (basically every NGRS) or both (AA-12, M870, Type 89 GBBs, Mk.46 Mod.0). Recent releases have included weird Detonics variants, an all-new compact V10 1911, that LCP - there's tons of oddball stuff coming out.

And?

They also repackage the same guns for 10 or 15 years. Sorry if an update for the MP5 24 years later doesn't impress me.

I understand the economics of why they do it, and I am sure it will be a good gun. Trust me, they don't don't need you to defend their honor.

2 hours ago, CatgutViolin said:

The Avalon is VFC's second-gen MP5, and they're still in production.

Looks like I got my brands mixed up - the new ones are Avalon, the old ones were just VFC. The VFC MP5A4 and MP5A5 DXs (VF1-LMP5A4-BK01 and VF1-LMP5A5-BK01; the other VFC MP5s were die-cast) were out of production for a long time. It looks like VFC brought a new steel MP5 back in 2020 under the Avalon brand - the new ones don't have the terrible mechanical 3rd burst, by virtue of not having 3rd burst at all? Still, it's nice to see a licensed, stamped steel MP5 AEG back on the market.

1 hour ago, Gunnman said:

And?

And, you're complaining that they're making the same old guns over and over... Which they aren't, but no worries!

1 hour ago, PureSilver said:

Looks like I got my brands mixed up - the new ones are Avalon, the old ones were just VFC. The VFC MP5A4 and MP5A5 DXs (VF1-LMP5A4-BK01 and VF1-LMP5A5-BK01; the other VFC MP5s were die-cast) were out of production for a long time. It looks like VFC brought a new steel MP5 back in 2020 under the Avalon brand - the new ones don't have the terrible mechanical 3rd burst, by virtue of not having 3rd burst at all? Still, it's nice to see a licensed, stamped steel MP5 AEG back on the market.

'Avalon' is Elite Force's name for the gearbox with integral mosfet VFC is using in their modern AEGs. The older VFC MP5s had steel bodies, a mechanical 3rd burst, and generally poor gearboxes; the Avalon ones have alloy bodies, no burst, and the much better Avalon gearbox. I don't think they've started offering Avalon guns with a steel body but I could be wrong.

7 hours ago, PureSilver said:

The problem with this is that if a Marui has a metal body (regardless of what metal that is) the incentive for the aftermarket to release proper receivers is almost nil. The NGRS AKs have been out for years now and there's not even a hint of an aftermarket steel body for it, or even a barrel or top cover or anything else AFAIK.

Probably because they're not M4s 😄  I think it comes down to popularity.  There just isn't a market for the TM AK stuff. 

4 hours ago, PureSilver said:

And, you're complaining that they're making the same old guns over and over... Which they aren't, but no worries!

I really think my complaint is they overall don't make anything that interesting (for myself, maybe some other people agree. I understand if they don't) other than every once and awhile. That's all. I also made a point that they repackage a lot of their guns to fill the yearly releases (like Hi-capa's, Glocks, 416), they do. They make whatever gun the market likes, and take little risks here and there. My sarcasm and frustration isn't directed at you and I respect that people have different tastes, and my tastes don't lead with the overall market. That's fine, I am attacking literally no one. Yes, I knew the Avalon was still available, but that was not really my point, either. 

I have my qualms with the progress of design and model choices over the years, while a there is an obvious gap (Example: Literally, anyone here that has complained about the lack of an UZI in the market for nearly 15 years can agree, at least until the GBB releases) of guns, but there is nothing I can do to sway a market that's set in it's own place, but complain on a forum. I don't see the harm? Do you? I think while my whining is self-indulgent, I think we all feel that way from time to time. Many do it, I just prefer sarcasm.

By all means, everyone can express their dislike towards my attitude. No worries, we all can't agree on everything. 

I already posted this elsewhere, so apologies if you've already seen (or indeed, had already watched the video)

Just rewatching the Youtube video and there are translations available now (which weren't when I first watched it), which is worth a look if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Here's my interpretation of YouTube's autotranslate.

• Original TM MP5 released in 1992
  • NGRS weighs 3.1kg, close to real weight (standard 1.9kg)
  • Not sure on the frame, maybe die cast with some aluminium (trying to avoid front heavy)
  • Furniture is all FRP
  • Talks more technically about the paintwork,
  • Magazine construction - how the hicaps are welded differently to lowcaps and will be cheaper. Mags are proprietary
  • Fact that this is based on a 90's build MP5 rather than current
  • Doesn't have 14mm threads, but a 3 lug adapter with a 14mm ccw thread is included so you can then mount whatever to it.
  • New fire select system - magnetic with mosfet & FCU fitted. Voltage regulation and jam detection. Active braking based on sector gear detection. Auto-sleep to avoid battery drain.
  • 300g recoil weight.
  • Marui man loves the HK slap.
  • 2 position stock, with very little wobble.
  • Hop unit is behind ejection port (which reciprocates during firing)
  • Method of attaching handguard is the same as the real MP5! (so no wobble and maybe opens options to use real parts)
  • Release in summer, price still undecided.
15 hours ago, Hatchet said:
  • Furniture is all FRP

Wow. Arguably this is the most important bit of the whole announcement - if this shift from ABS to nylon expands to the whole of TM's line, it suddenly makes a lot of TM's lineup a great deal more attractive.

7 hours ago, TheFull9 said:

I could see that taking a while, if they even transition pre-this-gun models over to the better stuff.  I've no idea if it'd require new moulds and other machine stuff tbh.  Sure would make the SCARs and G36s a lot better.

Unless the stars have aligned and ABS and fibre reinforced nylon have the same shrinkage rates then I wouldn't expect to see old models updated, at least not until moulds for a particular model are due to be replaced which given the niche nature of airsoft probably takes a long time.

If we're going to see it happen on any models for the sake of it I'd place my bets on Hi-Capas and Mk23s, one being a constant seller and not particually new and one being insanely popular with speedyboys.

EDIT : Quick google shows ABS has a 0.6% shrinkage rate and 30% GF Nylon 66 as 0.4%.

I am buying it no matter what.

I’ve already spend tons of money on my real mp5( well, civilian hk sp5) here in the U.S. I have already paid the NFA tax stamp to SBR it with a German a3 stock (these go for about 600-700$) and running a surefire hand guard with an aimpoint comp m5. The second NFA stamp is for the suppressor omega 9k. German made mags go for 90-100$ and I’ve bought 7... I also bought the knights rail (had been rare to get up until this point) but have not decided to put it on because it will mar the finish. Will prob put that rail on this Tokyo Marui mp5. 

Ammo prices have been unreasonably high at this time so this is a nice alternative with real mechanics of empty round on last shot.  I will built this TM out to an exact replica minus the handguard

as you can tell , I’m a real hk fan boy. I also have the real mark 23 with the Tokyo Marui mark 23 just to mention one other hk product ...

It seriously irks me that ASG is unwilling to install the EVO engine in any other AEG but the Scorpion Evo.
I love my Scorpion Evo but the pistolgrip doesn't suit my wrist in the slightest. AND I'm also a fan of the MP5, so I was hoping we could look forwards to a modern mosfet/computerised MP5 somewhere in the future. Tokio Marui is no longer a brand I look forwards to. Yet here we are.

Looks like, if I want my MP5 with modern internals, It'll be a overpriced Tokio Marui with hard to find internal parts and the knowledge that, if I DARE to improbe the muzzle velocity to 350, i'll put strain on these internals to the point they get unreliable. Now, this is all old knowledge for me, perhaps they've improved? Yet it'll still be diecast, overpriced and temperamental when upgraded.

It REALLY feels like, whilst modern upgrades are available, the airsoft industry is not willing to fully go with the times.

Do correct me where I went wrong.

Well, I know why ASG isn't putting their engine in an MP5. They don't have the license, it's Cybergun if I recall right, and if you want EVO engine in MP5, you need to pay the extortion price, especially since ASG is European company, and thus easily litigated by the rights lcienser. 

If I recall right, ASG was negotiating directly with CZ for the EVO airsoft rights before the gun was off the drawing board. I think they have similar or close to it deal with the CZ 805 BREN family of rifles...

And yet, not even the 805 got a similar gearbox.

About the Marui, I'll probably get it when it comes out. Pushing it 40fps higher shouldn't be that bad for the internals, but what really bugs me is the fact that they didn't care to use stamped steel for the receiver yet they went with aluminium for the front.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, blobface said:

Is 0.2% larger enough to make it not release from the mould well or is that something they could get away with? 

From what I've heard, TM's chief reason for sticking with ABS (other than cost, probably) was dimensional stability and fidelity. I believe that nylon's shrinkage is affected differently by material thickness etc., so there's a strong possibility that it's not just the fifth of a percent volumetric shrink that matters, but also the deformation the part has once it's shrunk.

I found another video which answers a few questions around the grip/battery.

Auto-translate now available on this, so I watched it again although it was a lot harder to follow this time. As best I can tell -

• Handguard mounts the same way as the real one.
  • Will work with standard nimh batteries (looks like 8.4v mini).
  • Marui are releasing their own Lipo, which will work with this but won't be available for another 6 months or so.
  • There's some sort of proprietary connector in place that the lipo will plug into (but the MP5 comes with a converter as standard so you can use NIMH now and then the lipo later).
  • Looks like the idea of the proprietary connector is safety so presumably it'll be directly monitoring cell voltage or something through the connector.
  • The price we already knew - 59,800, which is exactly the same as the SCAR L (which seem to be around £430 - £460 over here depending on model/colour)
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived