Nobody talking about the Maru-Fes teaser?

Wingmann

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spoke a lot of *suitcase* earlier, so Marui man decided to spite me and whipped up a Saiga blowback shotgun in the last few months to show me not to talk bad about them!

In all seriousness, the video shows 3 shot Saiga gas blowback shotgun at around the 4:30 minute mark.

• 1 month later...

Good ol' Marui. They could have put a QD spring change that could be used with just one main pin out. Instead, they chose NOT to so you have to disassemble the whole gun to access to the spring.
Also, plastic bushings and plastic piston... They are so awesome and so disappointing at the same time.

Why's that a surprise?  I can't see any reason the Japanese market would want quick spring change.  Aren't most pistons plastic?  And don't their bushings last an insanely long time in the stock form they design their guns to be used in?

Sure I'd love better bearings and quick change but I have absolutely no expectation for TM to build those things in from the factory.

They did do innovative things such as completely external wiring, redesign of trigger system to ensure that the micro switch will never break, geared recoil weight.

The qd spring guide is pointless for the market as is an all metal tooth piston.  Metal bushings at those power levels are also not required.

Exactly the point. They did very innovative things (for Marui) and included electronics that are not new to the market, but they implemented them very neatly, and they went overboard and engineered some very neat solutions as well, like the geared recoil weight.
Then they kept stuff that literally nobody else, except very, very, very cheap brands keep, like polymer in running parts.

Impressive ups and disappointing downs. Nothing new for Marui? Wrong conclusion. They do new stuff all the time.
Not surprising? Maybe for some. Are you not surprised about the electronics? They didn't do that before... why not the running gear longevity or QD option? Nah, you choose to be surprised by some things and not by others.

The "market" for them might only be Japan. Yet here we are, international folks, giving them good money and importing the stuff.

I, as blobface, still have hope.

They still have the over pressure valve in the Mk23 mags, I wouldn't be suprised if a QD spring was considered (it'd make assembly in the factory easier for a start) but opted not to so to avoid looking like they were making guns that are really easy to take over the 1J limit.

Personally if I got one I wouldn't even bother changing anything until something broke, imo within the limits of the UK it's not really worth it.

I probably wouldn't modify it either. Not because they didn't make it easy, but because as they are designed, they run very well, and only tend to fail when tampered with.
In the long run, once opened, new bushings/bearings, and making the back-end QD ready wouldn't take much. The piston just requires the cut at the top, so it's all solveable. Is it needed? Probably not. Would it be nice? Sure. As nice as the electronics, the trigger design to make the switch last forever, the geared recoil system and other smart design choices they cared to include.

Wingmann, whilke nice, it'd be tantamount of handing the judicial side in Japan the rope to hang them. The Japanese gun laws are rigid as heck, with stiff penalties to those who are found in violation. 
And let's be honest, for Marui, their other business, making model cars, trains and the like, is the actual money maker in Japanese market, and the airsofts are a side to that. If the side threatens the whole company, it will be divested, no matter how much we here outside Japan try to moan about it.

That's interesting. Do you think adding the possibility for an easy spring change would be so dangerous, legally speaking?
I'm sure they have speed limits as well, and that most cars in Japan are well able to break the limits. Maybe it's different with model guns.
Interesting input. Thanks a lot.

Well, it's not like cars are extremely restricted, and Toyota was making a moped-engined car that could be switched for motorcycle engine in couple of minutes. The analogy is a bit off, due to the level of restriction on the end result of the quick modification. 

It's closer to the issue with the snap-on carbine kits in the USA where manufacturers have been burned by the 'SBR conversion' rulings. 

21 hours ago, sandstorm said:

Wingmann, whilke nice, it'd be tantamount of handing the judicial side in Japan the rope to hang them. The Japanese gun laws are rigid as heck, with stiff penalties to those who are found in violation. 
And let's be honest, for Marui, their other business, making model cars, trains and the like, is the actual money maker in Japanese market, and the airsofts are a side to that. If the side threatens the whole company, it will be divested, no matter how much we here outside Japan try to moan about it.

Yes, which is why the demand for foreign airsoft guns outweighs domestic in Japan.

The Marui MP5 was released in 1992. By 1996 they had 7 different models out, plus many other releases.

But in 1992, an AEG was a rather new idea, and Marui was filling a gap that classic gun manufacturers left after they went out of business. Now the gap is filled by other foreign manufactures at competitive prices (although, just about everywhere else in the world pays less than Japan) and Marui has to be careful how they approach each release in a saturated market, while pleasing the average player and following strict guideline restrictions from the government. On top of being as innovative as they can be on their budget.

So, they have it way harder now than 30 years ago. 

I think another reason for them not bothering with these QOL feature is because regardless if they do it, they are still gonna be sold out everywhere with a huge queue behind the next batch for products like this, the AKM GBBR is already sold out in HK, pre-order for the NGRS MP5 is filled, until the competition actually affect their sales, they probably don't need to worry about "copying" features of others but keep doing what they have been doing well. That's not to say they are perfect of course, I really do wish they would look at the competition and learn from them instead of starting from scratch every time. 

5 hours ago, Gunnman said:

Yes, which is why the demand for foreign airsoft guns outweighs domestic in Japan.

This is what I was told by a friend that lived and practiced airsoft there for a short while.
Some try to explain Marui's planning with "the japanese market" but it seems that's a repeated myth. Japanese that want those features just get other guns without demanding the features from Marui.
Marui still sells what they produce, so why worry. Airsoft being a small part of their brand, that financial support is all they need.
All in all, a pity. They could really, really outshine everyone else.

49 minutes ago, Wingmann said:

This is what I was told by a friend that lived and practiced airsoft there for a short while.
Some try to explain Marui's planning with "the japanese market" but it seems that's a repeated myth. Japanese that want those features just get other guns without demanding the features from Marui.
Marui still sells what they produce, so why worry. Airsoft being a small part of their brand, that financial support is all they need.
All in all, a pity. They could outshine everyone else.

Yes, that is what I believe too. If they only cared about Japan, they would stop exporting their guns, similar to Western Arms did with their distributors. Even if Japan made up most of their sales, international sales still make up a market for them. I just think it's cheaper for them to focus on their main market, and just sell their stuff as Japanese-regulated guns. If people outside of Japan are going to buy them as they are, no point in changing them based on that market.

It seems like it's more of a "We do what we want when we want" with them

Well, from what I understand, TM don't export their ghuns themselves, it's someone buying their stuff wholesale, and then exporting it. But hey, what is obviosu is that no matter how much we whine, TM isn't interested in us as a market.

44 minutes ago, sandstorm said:

Well, from what I understand, TM don't export their guns themselves, it's someone buying their stuff wholesale, and then exporting it. But hey, what is obvious is that no matter how much we whine, TM isn't interested in us as a market.

They do sell them wholesale to be exported. But it's naive to assume that they don't know what is going on.

It's logistically easier for them to allow multiple companies to do that, than waste the resources doing it themselves. Truth is, the mark-up on a guns bought wholesale and exported to the rest of the world would be far greater for the rest of the world, if there wasn't a business model behind it from Marui.

We all know how wholesale works, but you have to figure in international shipping, different national taxes and other "red tape" to hurdle over for both the international buyer and the Exporter.

It's more organized than how everyone makes it out to be.

• 1 month later...

PXL-20211001-110520831.MP.jpg

Here's mine, already have some surgery idea, mainly cutting off the TM's muzzle and replacing it (somehow) with a VFC steel one that comes with a threaded section, can't use this handguard with suppressors with tri-lug alone or even the adapter that comes with it, and the SureFire A17 adapter is a unicorn. Impression so far... it's hefty, similar weight to the WE one, has extremely positive selector clicks, recoil feels snappier than the other NGRS I have tried, real handguard was a drop in, and in this configuration, with some persuading and 3D tetrising, it is able to take a 7.4v 1450mah nunchuck. 

Archived