A while ago
 I started a bit on Plate Carriers research, so I found out that in 2021 the Crye Precison AVS is pretty popular amongst USSF and the UKSF, so reason enough for me to look out for a replica, and that's how I ended up at the TMC AVS, a nice replica in my opinion, which I also wanted to show you here

What follows is an extensive review consisting of 2 major chapters

1.0 The Crye Precision Intro
7.0 The TMC AVS review

1.0 Crye Precision Intro

Admittedly, I've became a bit of a "Crye fanboy" because of their story and style, so allow me to give some extra explanation about Crye Precision, and the AVS  

AVS collage.png (2.27MiB)

2.0 Crye precision
Is the joint venture of the 2 students Caleb Crye and Gregg Thompson. They started their business in 2000 purely as a leisure activity in a small studio above a department store, 20 years later they have grown into a more than 7,900 square foot business with 200 people in New York and New Jersey.

Crye 1.jpg (137.5KiB)

2.1 Crye and Thompson
Get to know each other at the Cooper Union in Manhattan, in the modeling shop, they share their passion for creating things physically, Crye is passionate about the military, but with his art education, not exactly the type one expects from a designer. of military equipment, Thompson, on the other hand, is trained as an industrial engineer.

2.2 First Design
Crye, and Thompson, looking for a market, design a Field Computer for their 1st project for calculating mortar guns, but this turns out not to be a success, simply because they are not familiar with the operation of the US military system, which requires solutions for pending problems, instead of own proposals but ...

2.3 Crye Associates
As they now call themselves, would be selected in 2001 by Natick Soldier Center for the OFW (Objective Force Warrior) program, partly because they did not go unnoticed with their earlier field computer design.

2.4 OFW / FFW
(Objective Force Warrior) later called FFW (Future Force Warrior) were one of many modernization programs,
once started with SIPE (Soldier Integrated Protective Ensemble) in the early 90's, which introduced new lightweight, integrated systems
for armor, weapons, helmets, communications, electronics, and sensors.

crye 7.jpg (105.69KiB)

Crye Associates teamed up with Juggernaut Defense, and Artisent. Together with Artisent they would become very influential,
and this because they went talking with the SOF community themselves, to determine what the real needs were.

2.5 Combat Helmets
The 1st OFW assignment For Crye consisted of a revolutionary helmet design with integrated “Com's”, camera, eye, and NBC protection, together with Artisent.

2.6 Artisent
Was the other designer who worked on the development of helmet design with integrated recording equipment and accessory rails, Artisent would later become known as Ops-Core and focus on helmet design. Their FAST ballistic helmets would later be deployed at the SOF in 2011 and become ubiquitous.

The Crye helmet project would later lead to the Airframe helmet.

4-7.jpg (152.73KiB)

2.7 MultiCam
Initially called Scorpion, perhaps Crye's most well-known (patented) invention in 2004, MultiCam differs from other Camo Paterns by the fact that there is no recurring pattern in it, so the human brain cannot distinguish it from the background, making it extremely is effective.

crye 5.jpg (102.77KiB)

2.8 Battle Dress Uniforms
Made of sweat-absorbent material, equipped with integrated knee, and elbow protection, zippers, pockets etc ... were unseen, 
Check out my earlier  Crye A-Line BDU guide, and Uniontac G3 review here

2.9 Armor Chassis
The revolutionary GEN1 Armor Chassis will form the basis for all following Crye Presicion Plate Carriers, which I explain in detail from Chapter 3.0 

ffw4.PNG (834.05KiB)

2.10 The War On Terror
In 2001 the USA was hit by 9/11 put everything is in a different perspective, with the start of the “War On Terror” the development of new material for the SOF community becames a priority, a golden opportunity for Crye.

2.11 Crye Precision
Crye and Thompson become frustrated with the fact that soldiers on the field want their stuff, but they have no control over it themselves because they are only designers. That is when they decide to take a new risky step, and to become producers as well as designers, this move turned out to be not without challenges, as the US defense device provides that gear items must be manufactured from raw materials from the USA, the so-called Berry Amendment. , because of this they are forced to adjust their designs a bit, but eventually become producers.

And so Cry Asociates, become Crye Precison, in 2002 they move from their studio above the department store to the Brooklyn Navy Yard, a historic site of the former shipyards, which has been parceled out into commercial real estate, and until today the headquarters of Crye Precision.

crye 11.jpg (228.84KiB)

2.12 SPIES
Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment System) was a next chapter in the FFW program around 2006, which would further introduce the Crye G1 Armor Chassis, the G1 BDU, and MultiCam.

The most important Crye Precision designs are the MultiCam, the Airframe helmet, the BDU line, the CPC, JPC, and AVS Plate Carriers.

crye 13.png (407.6KiB)

3.0 Crye Plate Carriers
Now, relevant for this review, let us take a closer look at these Crye Precision Plate Carriers.

3.1 Gen1 Armor Chassis
This design from Crye is possibly the most sophisticated Ballistic Vest design ever!

Offers full ballistic protection, even in the shoulders, expandable with a ballistic Mollebelt, equipped with an Emergency Doffing system, pads to counteract the shoulders, Crye ballistic plates etc ... 
We will see a lot of this concept in the later Crye Plate Carriers . The G1 Armor Chasis is used in Transformers, and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter for its futuristic looks
THE RS REVIEW ON MILITARY MORONS IS A MUST SEE !!!

3.2 Gen2 Armor Chassis
Presented at Shotshow 2007 as an upgraded version of the Gen1, perhaps never actually going into production, it can be considered a precursor to the CAGE.

3.3 CAGE Armor Chassis (Crye Assault GEar)
Is a slightly more conventional looking PC, based on the G1 Armor Chassis, offers maximum ballistic protection, but in a somewhat more modular system.

3.4 CPC (Cage Plate Carrier)
Designed as a lighter version of the CAGE, made from 500D instead of the heavier 1000D. The CPC does not offer ballistic protection on its own without the ballistic plates, and introduces the new Structural Kinetic Support System (StKSS) a system that transfers weight from the shoulders to the hips, the CPC is also partly compatible with the CAGE.

1863950453_chassiscagecpc.thumb.png.44005c6319d0c22efbf189d9cfb4dfd8.png

3.5 JPC 1.0 (Jumpable Plate Carrier)
From one extreme to the other now! The JPC was a true game changer when it was introduced in 2010/11, characterized by absolute minimalism and lightweight. But equipped with the necessary ingenuity, such as an integrated 3 Mag Pouch, and flexible Hypalon shoulder straps so that the JPC can be packed together very compactly in a carrying bag or backpack, during parachute jumping that is the explanation of the name Jumpable Plate Carrier.
DEFINITELY CHECK THE FULL RS REVIEW ON MILITARY MORONS !!!

3.5.1 JPC 2.0
Is an improved version of the JPC 1.0, main changes are Zippers for Back Panels, and a Drag Handle at the back, an interchangeable Molle panel at the front, and Emergency Doffing system, also the shoulder straps have been improved.

3.5.2 JPC 2.0 Maritime
This is a JPC 2.0. Made from mesh fabric to drain water immediately, in maritime operations

3.6 Airlite SPC (Structural Plate Carrier)
A JPC-like PC made from AIRLITE's (Crye patented) lightweight water-repellent material, partly has the features of the JPC 2.0, and is -like the AVS- an extensive modular system, a lot of attention has been paid to ventilation and water drainage
CHECK OUT GARAND THUMB'S JPC2.0 vs SPC VIDEO

2064627760_cryejpc.thumb.png.c6501089b859fabaf9971e9121d02650.png

3.7 AVS (Adative Vest System)
The AVS is a compilation of all the previous Crye PC designs, a fully modular system which can be configured as a lightweight JPC, into a heavily armored CAGE, and everything in between, today the most used PC at the USSOF!

327916545_avsconfig.thumb.png.b3e35be500a3e8089661c3f9936ea0b8.png

4.0 SPEAR / BALCS / MBAV
SPEAR / BALCS or (SPecial Operations Forces Equipment Advanced Requirements)  (Body Armor / Load Carriage System) 
had to develop a lighter, modular Body Armor system for SOF troops stationed in Afghanistan between 1996 and 2005. This resulted in the iconic Eagle MBAV (Modular Body Armor Vest). 
The US Army Rangers were the first which took the MBAV in use.

The first SAPI plates offered “only” protection up to NIJ level III (5.56mm to 7.62mm)
Unlike the later ESAPI's NIJ Level IV (.30-06 to 7.62 AP)

The MBAV Insert as “backer” is required when maximum protection is desired!
Today, MBAV Soft Armor Insert are made from Dyneema, or Aramid fibers, and provide NIJ Level IIIa protection (9mm to .44 Magnum)

After a decade, the Eagle MBAV would be replaced by the Eagle AERO and Crye AVS as part of the SOFBAV program (Special Operations Forces Body Armor Vest)
One of the SOFBAV requirements was MBAV armor compatibility, thas why the AERO, and AVS are (still) in MBAV cut.

It is not clear to me whether the MBAV inserts are used by default/in combination with ESAPI or not? Possible with some units? or for Low Threat tasks where it is unnecessary to carry the extra 4.2kg of plates? (hypothic)

SOFBAV.thumb.png.6f0c5c458c09e681e3b4cb34b2b1aaa5.png
                 Eagle MBAV                                                  Eagle AERO SOFBAV                                                 MBAV soft Inserts

5.0 The Crye Precision AVS analyzed
The AVS is a very extensive platform, which requires quite some study before you get a complete overview,
I will share my research work, as conveniently arranged as possible, here.
CHECK THE FULL RS REVIEW ON MILITARY MORONS !!!

5.1 The Platebags.
Are the main component of the AVS which carry the Ballistic Plates, a set consists of a Front, and Rear Bag,
comes in multiple sizes, and in SAPI, MBAV, and Swimmercut
502549828_platebags.png.739a588e71073e19115fc0d07ebcd10f.png

5.2 The Suspension
The Platebags, or Chest Rig can be worn directly together, with the AVS Harness, or Yoke.

5.3 The Chest Rig
Crye has also developed a Chest Rig which can be worn in combination with the AVS Harness, or Yoke
harness.png.74172f0ea071d8be3b28f89289ec387c.png

5.4 The Cummerbunds.
Then the sides can be closed by means of a so-called Cummmerbund, this can be done with a Single Strap, a Skeletal 2, or 3-horizontal Strap, or an Elastic Cummerbund with integrated Mag Pouches.
cummerbunds.png.becabfcbfa683af7506896bef8368595.png

5.5 The Side Plate Bags.
If additional lateral ballistic protection is required (Side SAPI), the Cummerbund,
or Harness arms so called Side Platebags can be attached.
976644995_sidepouch.png.4bf1f5dc0ddd6bc31da9a3a646368da9.png

5.6 The Front Panels.

A Front Panel can be attached to the Front Platebag of your choice 5.56 or 7.62 with Flap, Open Top, Stretch or a 3x6 Molle Panel.

1082900479_frontpannel.png.d9114ef6100cd86fdb269352fff3ecfc.png

5.7 The Back Panels
A Back Panel of your choice can then be attached to the Rear Platebag as desired, and by means of the Zippers.
1638566971_backpannel.PNG.bd87cf2842127e42f14aa9c1552ada37.PNG

5.8 The Crye Pouches
Crye Precision also has a range of different MOLLE Pouch Series, but of course other brand Molle Pouches also fit on the AVS
  • Smart Pouch Suite (a range of specific Pouches)
  • Pouches and Accessories (a range of other Pouches)
  • Maritime Series (a range of Pouches specially designed for maritime duties)
838879847_cryepouch.PNG.1cf212cfbb09051cbf83f84807fbc6d3.PNG

5.9 The Belt and STKSS
As with the CAGE, and CPC, Crye has developed a matching Molle Belt, the AVS Belt is not Ballistic, in combination with the Belt, the Structural Kinetic Support System StKSS can also be used, a system that increases the weight of the shoulders. distributes to the hips.

5.10 Accessories
Finally, Crye offers a number of accessories such as
A Pad Set (like on the CPC) that allows you to create air channels between the body and AVS.
A Customization Kit with (spare) Buckles, Straps, and Bungees, and the AVS 1000 Pack (AVS compatible Back Pack)
accessories.png.0ac97b29f550924efe5489c273857f0b.png

5.11 Armor Components
Finally, Crye also has a number of separate extra add-on Armor Components when extra ballistic protection is desired.
Knipsel.PNG.c21ae40a955ddb44c1086492afec7ab2.PNG

6.0 AXL Advanced.
Is not Crye Precision, but a Texan manufacturer dedicated to developing smart high-end accessories to further upgrade advanced designs such as the AVSWorth checking out imho !
axl.thumb.PNG.362c1d4e7eedbad178b674e858559f04.PNG
7.0 The TMC AVS

What this review is really about then, are accurate replicas of the sophisticated Crye AVS, I will divide the components into chapters, and explain each  in detail.

Besides TMC there is also an Emerson AVS, with a comparable price, but this one has a horrible wrong buckle!  And then you have the Crye licensed Zshot which is in a fraction higher price range.

7.1 TMC / Weapon762
The TMC AVS is best available for us Europeans (most economical) at Weapon762.

You can also find it at Ebairsoft, and AliExpress, but that costs you a kidney in  shipping costs, so unless you have too much money, not an option!

Availability is, however, a relative concept at W762, popular items are almost continuously out of stock, if you really want something, you have to be on stakeout on the W762 Instagram accounts, where the restocks are announced first, then it is a true rush on the Cart, and even Checkout, or else you just miss it!

When the TMC AVS in MC was back in stock -after almost a year- the W762 site just went down!

W762 were then almost "virtually lynched" by disaffected customers, shortly afterwards there was TMC's famous 100pcs Pre-Order Campaign, to satisfy the “duped” customers, 
Finally it would take another 2 months longer than expected, but end good all good  (I also got my TMC AVS with this pre-order)

It must also be said that Weapon762 always communicates clearly, and correctly!

7.2 TMC / W762 Descriptions & Sizings
The 1st issue: there are 3 TMC-AVS versions, which are very unclear described by Weapon762 / TMC on their site, you really have to know or find out for yourself!

I will start by clarifying this, TMC / W762 describe their AVS models as follows:
  • TMC 2319  Modular Assault Vest System MBAV Plate Carrier (Small)      
  • TMC 2437Modular Assault Vest System Plate Carrier 2019 Version (Medium)
  • TMC 2847 Modular Assault Vest System MBAV Cut Plate Plate Pouch Set.
This corresponds to the following Crye Precision Model / Descriptions.
The misleading, however, is in the size indication for the 2 different Cuts:
TMC / W762 speaks about S, and M but this only refers to the dimensions of the Harness
Plate Bags are Medium Size with both models (as usual with Airsoft Plate Carriers), although in 2 different Cuts.

Crye To The Rescue!
Dimensions are  actually determined by the Ballistic Plate for Plate Carriers!
But ... The real Crye MBAV Plate Bags are the same size in both Small and Medium
The elastic pocket, inside, absorbs the difference, the reason for this is that the MBAV Soft Insert only exists in 1 size, end good all good 

According to Reenactment / Impression the MBAV cut is the most appropriate, since it is USSOCOM standard issue. It would be better for TMC / W762 to sell the Plate Bags, and Harness separately, and clearly mark the dimensions, and Cut info. 
  • The TMC 2847 MBAV Plate Pouch Set
As the name implies, consists of an MBAV Plate Bag Set which can be worn according to the Single Strap (Plate Carrier Configuration), (without the Harness)

• The (older) TMC 2437, comes in 7 colors, and costs between € 129.99 (Camo) and € 89.99 (Solid)
  • The (new) TMC 2319 is available in 4 colors and costs between € 139.99 (Camo) and € 109.99 (Solid)
  • The TMC 2847 Plate Bag Set is available in MC, CB, and RG and costs € 92.99 (Camo) and € 59.99 (Solid)

I hope my image wil clear this all out. 

8.0 The TMC 3219 (MBAV Cut)TMC2437-MC-5.thumb.jpg.9ff10ffd8efba1c2be2bd0ab5a331b37.jpg

For myself i chose the TMC 3219 MC, because of the Small size, at the time of ordering, however, I did not realize that the Plate bags themselves only differ in cut, and not in size. The set comes with everything from the image below.

1737645604_3219colageherebitch-kopie.thumb.png.697b55158c1d3981907826606890e26a.png

8.1 The Manual
Which is not there, is the first “issue” that comes up with the TMC AVS, luckily the TMC 3219 is such an accurate replica that you can simply consult the original Crye Precision AVS PDF.

But still a noteworthy shortcoming, with a complex and expensive item like the AVS, which offers multiple carrying / rig options, it could be me, but it seems quite a challenge to find out everything without consulting the manual?

8.2 The Plate Bags
As mentioned a few times before in MBAV cut, consisting of a Front, and Rear, can be attached directly to each other by means of the Shoulder Straps, for a lightweight Plate Carrier setup, or worn in combination with the Harness, the Bags are impeccably finished, with neat stitching, and with all the details, and features of the original Crye Precision AVS.

8.2.2 Ballistic Plates
In the Plate Bags - and to which they owe their name - Ballistic plates must/can be used
there  inserted through an opening in the bottom, which can be closed with a  Velcro flap, and an extra strap, inside is an extra stretch bag which the plates remain neatly in place, the TMC 3219 comes with 2 sturdy foam plates, although in a -non standard- strange dimensions?  There perfectly usable, but for a little Milsim feeling, a set of rigid SAPI / ESAPI plates is simply a must.

And in our case, those are DIY ESAPI training plates, in real weight!  In my case that had to be a Small Size ESAPI, I made the plates before I had the AVS, so it was wait and see if they would not fit too loose in the Medium Plate bag, but thanks to the Stretch pocket, the plates are just perfect in this TMC AVS !!!

Make sure you check out my diy ESAPI project and Ballistic Plate intro here 

The Plate Bags are also provided with a “stiffener” and padding, along the inside, which improves the dimensional stability and wearing comfort.

8.2.2 Front Plate Bag

1690890535_IMG_20210501_125319-kopie.thumb.jpg.7af59a4bbc79c8b8b8219d9c0bd6540f.jpg

.1 Duraflex Stealth Vee Buckle
.2 Right Shoulder strap 
.3 Admin Pocket 
.4 PTT loops 
.5 Cable / drinking tube loops 
.6 4X2 Velcro Molle Zone
.7 Front Panel Molle loops
.8 Kangaroo Pocket
.9 MBAV Cut
.10 Large Velcro Field
.11 Ballistic Plate Closure

341463171_IMG_20210501_125339-kopie.thumb.jpg.82b16c6f5c0c1ec2e3fad101a67a5596.jpg

.A Duraflex Stealth Vee Buckle
.B Shoulder Strap
.C Velcro shoulder strap Adjustment
.D Harness Arms Pivoting Point
.E Harness Arms Velcro Attachment
.F Dangler Pouch / additional Armor Molle Attachment

View all the detail photos of the FrontPlate Bag here.

At the top of the Front Bag is a small integrated Admin Pocket, with a Velcro closure, and Stabilizer loops on the inside. On that Pocket a 4x2 Molle zone, for attaching an extra Admin Pouch, for example, or nowadays very hot a (Kagwerks) Smartphone Case, for a Samsung S7, with ATAK app. The 4x2 Molle zone is fully equipped with Velcro for wearing patches.

The Admin Pocket is so shallow and tight that you can only store small stuff in it.

At the top left and right of the Plate Bag are loops for attaching PTTs, Drinking Tubes, and routing cables and hoses.

Below the Admin Pocket section, there is a large Velcro Zone, which covers the entire lower half of the Plate Bag, this serves for attaching the Front Panels, for this there is a row of 7 Molle loops at the top of the Velcro zone, to which the Straps of the Front Panels must be attached.

Below that Molle row, then again a narrow Kangaroo Pocket, which can be opened with a Pull Tab, and closes with a wide Velcro strip, this Kangaroo pocket serves to accommodate the Straps of the Front Panels, so that they do not go later hook into the Cummerbund, or Harness Straps!

Once the Front Panel is attached to the top, it can pivot up and down to “hook” the Cummerbund, or harness arms, on the large Velcro field.
The TMC 3219 also comes with an empty basic Molle Panel, and since the AVS is not equipped with integrated Mag Pouches (such as the JPC 2.0 for example) you can already purchase them separately! 

View all the detailed photos of the Front Panel here.

8.2.3 Rear Plate Bag

IMG_20210501_123146.thumb.jpg.7d1724439ede8857042c99afac5d3797.jpg
.1 Shoulder Straps
.2 Drag Handle
.3 4X2 Velcro Molle Panel
.4 Zipper for Backpanel
.5 6X6 Molle Panel
.6 MBAV Cut
.7 Ballistic Plate Closure Pull Tab

IMG_20210501_123203.thumb.jpg.c837c5264a3f47f3793768d7b1cedf24.jpg
.A Shoulder Straps
.B Drag Handle
.D Shoulder Strap Velcro Attachment.
.E Harness Chock Cord Loops
.F Backpanel / Cummerbund Molle Loops
.G Cummerbund Molle Loops.

View all the detailed photos of the Rear Plate Bag here.

The Rear Plate Bag Is attached to the Harness, or Shoulder Straps by means of D-rings and straps, with those D-rings the Ballistic plate can be hung at the correct height.
Those same Straps serve as Shoulder Straps in the Plate Carrier Configuration when they are then connected to the Straps of the Front Bags.

The bag has a 6x6 Molle zone on the outside, and a 2x4 area with Velcro in the center of the bag for applying patches. At the top is a Drag Handle, which can be “hooked” with Velcro, on the side we see the characteristic Crye-Zippers for attaching Back Panels.

Along the inside of the Rear Bag are 2 rows with 2 and 6 Molle loops on both sides, for attaching the Harness, and Cummerbund.

Also centrally located is a row of loops to thread the Shock Cord of the Harness.

At the bottom is a small pocket to store the excess cord of the Harness.

View all the details of the Rear Plate Bag here

8.3 The Harness

IMG_20210501_131010.thumb.jpg.54f704fd4ad574c20aff4149d81ed577.jpg
.1 Left Harness half
.2 Right Harness Half
.3 Rear Plate Bag D-buckles
.4 Shock Cord
.5 Rear Plate Bag attachment loops
.6 Hypalon Cummerbund Attachments
.7 Ring Pull Cord Cincher
.8 Molle Loops

165760384_IMG_20210501_131047_1(1).thumb.jpg.614b0abe3607db5d051970025e7f2d15.jpg
.A Right Harness Arm
.B Left Harness Arm
.C Shock Cord
.D Velcro Shoulder Strap Adjustment
.E Cable / drinking tube loop
.F Right Harness Arm
.G Left Harness Arm
.F Velcro Fixation Pad

View all the detailed photos of the Harness here.

The Harness is designed to distribute the weight - from only the shoulders- over the entire upper body. Consists of a left and right half which are kept at the back by means of an elastic so-called Shock Cord, which is routed through Hypalon-like loops, whether this is really Hypalon -as with the real Cry- I dare not say? This makes it possible to adjust the fit instantly according to worn clothing, or situation, the Shock Cord, and Hypalon also ensures that the harness can move with the chest, especially during heavy exertion and deep breathing.

The Harness is equipped with a Stiffener, and thin padding, the inside is finished with a fabric on which Velcro Paddings can be hooked, to determine the contact points with the body itself, and to create extra ventilation spaces  (these pads are not included in the set)

On the sides, at the back, 3 metal Molle rings are aligned on both sides, on which can -if desired- a Single, 2-Band, or 3-Band Cummerbund be attached, these rings are also attached with Hypalon straps.

The “arms” have a double row of Molle loops on the outside and a large Velcro flap at the ends, so, they can be attached in several ways at the front.
  • 1 At the inside of the front plate bag, fixed at the “hinge points” with the flap
  • 2 At the inside of the front plate bag, loosely slid in at the “hinge points”, with the flap folded in half.
  • 3 At the outside of the front plate bag, hooked on the Velcro zone, under the front flap.

View all the detailed photos of the Harness here

8.4 The Schoulder Straps
Here are 2 options Plate Carrier, or Harness Configuration

1. Plate Carrier Configuration
The Shoulder Straps of the Rear and the Front Bag, hooked together using Velcro, once set to the correct length, the Straps are packed with the supplied Shoulder Strap Cover.

Unfortunately, I forgot to make this configuration, and when I realized that, the AVS was already too far assembled to rebuild it just for some pictures, so I will show this with the original Crye pictures.
1350782252_cryePCconf..PNG.d1e9c0fb3cb89aa7009af996cd6d8b4c.PNG

.2 Harness configuration
In this case, the upper arms of the harness form the actual shoulder straps. 
When the shoulder straps are at the correct length, they can be covered in with the included Shoulder Cover Set, a kind of an elastic sock. 

Both Shoulder Cover Sets are equipped with 2 Velcro loops on the outside, for attaching COM's cables, and / or the Drinking Tube of a Hydration pack (bladder, Camel Bag) 

View all the detailed photos of the shoulder straps here

8.4.1 The Duraflex Stealth Vee Buckle
Or what the “QD buckle” of the Shoulder Strap is actually called!  A mouthful, at first sight a banal detail, you would think?
This deserves a little more explanation. This so-called Vee Buckle (named after its shape) gives the AVS its characteristic asymmetrical appearance, and is a strikingly unique feature. And it is precisely this detail that the Emerson DOES NOT have and the TMC DOES, and the impression / replica value of this TMC greatly increases as far as I am concerned.

Originally made by Duraflex a -Berry Compliant manufacturer- US manufacturer who has been making all kinds of fixings and hardware fasteners since 1949.

The “Ring Clip Cord Cincher” or “Cord Stop” which holds the back of the harness cord is also a Duraflex item. 

View all the detailed photos of Ring Clip Cord Cincher here
8.5 The 2-Band Skeletal Cummerbund
The TMC AVS comes standard with a 2-Band Skeletal Cummerbund, which is equipped with a Stiffener, and has good ventilation due to the open construction, the Cummerbund is equipped with Molle loops over its entire length, and can be attached in 3 ways .
  • 1 At the back through the loops of the Plate Bag, and strung together by a Shock Cord. (Plate Carrier Carry)
  • 2 At the back attached to the Molle rings of the Harness, and (adjustable) attached by means of the so-called Tri Glide Buckles (which, by the way, is better secured than it seems)
  • 3 Using the Emergency Undoff Cable.
8.6 The Single Side Straps.
Also included with the TMC 3219, if an absolutely light carry is desired, the AVS can be carried with only the Harness arms, held together by the Single Side Strap.

View all the detailed pictures of the 2-Band Cummerbund here
View all the detailed pictures of the Single Side Strap here

8.7 Emergency Undoffing Cable
Supplied with the TMC AVS, this is a plasticized steel cable, which is guided through channels from the front to the back over the shoulder straps, and then routed true the Cummerbund  Molleloops and  the Harness or Rear Bag. A pull-ring at the beginning of the Cable, is then secured with a Velcro tab somewhere on the Shoulder Strap.

By pulling out the cable, the Cummerbund is now completely released, in case of an emergency.

View all the detailed photos of the Emergency Doffing Cable here.

8.8 Wearing Methods & Use
If the concept is not yet completely clear, I will summarize everything one more time here.
The TMC 3219 can therefore be rigged in 2 ways: with or without Harness, depending on the load (light or heavy)

.A If you want to apply Plate Carrier Configuration (without Harness), the necessary accessories are included (extra shock cord, and Shoulder Strap Covers)

View all the detailed photos of the accessories here

.B If you want to apply the Harness Configuration, the Harness can be used in 2 ways:
  • 1 Hooked on top of the Front Plate Bag.
  • 2 Or along the inside of the plate bag in appropriate pivot points.

- Preferably 1 arm is then fixed, and the 2nd is pushed in loosely.
- By keeping the loose arm on the same side of the shoulder strap with QD Buckle, you can now keep the - AVS closed on 1 side, and much easierDoff & Undof
- The fine adjustment can now be done with the shock cord at the rear.
- If you use cummerbunds, a QD closure (Tubes) could be usefu to doff & undoff the AVS in 2 clicks.

harness collage AE.jpg (7.3MiB)

Then you can,  apply the 2 strap-cummerbund or single strap

cummerbund collage.jpg (8.63MiB)

View all the detailed photos of the 2-band Cummerbund here
View all the detail photos of the Single Strap here

Fixed or rigged with the Emergency Cable (Cummerbund can be carried in either Harness or PC)

cable collage.jpg (6.43MiB)

View all the detailed photos of the Emergency doffing Cable here

Finally, you can / must / may now fully furnish the AVS with Pouches, and Accessories  but I will tell you more about that later, in my upcoming AVS project.

8.9 Final word
The TMC AVS is without a doubt a very nice replica of the Crye Precision.
That also means a replica of an item designed for military use, in all its aspects.
Such as carrying a heavy combat loadout, for example (where you quickly reach 12 to 15 kg)
The average Airsofter will probably (want to) stay well below this.

Are you "Milsimminded", or do you want your (Airsoft) loadout to look a bit realistic? Milspec (replica) items are a must, and then you are guaranteed to be in the right place with this TMC AVS, it is a very nice plate carrier anyway, but you pay a hefty price for it, partly due to the fact that the TMC AVS comes without pouches!

Do you want to set up the empty AVS in such a way - so that it also looks good (realistic)? Then some study, or Militaria knowledge is a bit of a must imo.

If you go for pure (Airsoft) functionality, the AVS may be a bit overkill, and Chestrig, JPC, or other more affordable alternatives may suffice.

9.0 Pro's and Con's
+ Very nice Plate Carrier.
+ Very accurate replica of the Crye AVS.
+ Many setting options.
+ Cheaper alternative than the Crye.

- Expensive item for minimalist use.
- No Manual for a complex item.
- No pouches included.
- Confusing size/model  info on the W762/ TMC sites.

10.0 AAC's AVS Project Build.
In the meantime I have already selected and acquired some accessories, but that is not representative for this review, and is more of material for my new Project build thread,
curious? Just Follow the link ... soon
Edited by aac
  • Like 2

Thx it was a huge job indeed.

And yeah its an awesome plate carrier, i am very pleased with it myself.

AVS in AOR is very rare and AFAIK only in standard cut (TMC 2019) indeed , dont know if it was NSW issue ?