Select fire conversion for M249s, M60s, and other full auto only MGs

ardrummer292

An addendum to my previous (and now archived) post:

Received and installed my Burst Wizard 3 today. My thoughts...

Hard-wired installation is a snap, especially with the dual signal wires included. My Minimi was already wired for a Gate WARFET, so the extent of my "hard-wired installation" was unplugging the WARFET and plugging in the Burst Wizard. Absolutely brainless install.

If your gun has a high rate of fire, getting the 1 round burst setting to only fire one round will probably take some work. Here's what I went through:

- Using command 2, I set the burst length to one round. Upon testing, I was getting 2-3 rounds per burst. Damn.

- Using command 7, I set the sensitivity to the highest number, which is 19. I was still getting 2-3 round bursts. Double damn.

- Using command 11, I set the burst length to 30 ms. Still got the occasional double cycle. Better, but still damn.

- Using command 11 again, I modified the burst length to 24 ms. Consistent single round "bursts" with crisp trigger response. Perfect.

- Please note that, if you have to manually set the burst length, yours will almost certainly be different than mine. The correct burst length to fire a single round depends on battery voltage, motor type, spring strength, gear ratio, and a million other things that are impossible to predict. I actually had to change my burst length when I downgraded springs (27 ms was perfect for a Guarder SP120, but 24 ms was just right for a Guarder SP110).

The stock 0.6 second delay between burst fire and full auto is too short to be safe in CQB, in my opinion. I really don't want to accidentally lace anyone up at close range, so I used command 3 and set it to 1.0 seconds. A bit overkill, but I'd rather be safe than labeled an *albartroth*.

If you decide to add a hardwired boxmag (a la Bullgear):

https://en.bullgear.ru/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=157

... you may need to disable the auto-resetting fuse in order to allow the higher current flow required to power both the gearbox and the boxmag motor.

- Using command 14, I went for option 8 (disable fuse and motor protect). I have a standard fuse integrated in my wiring harness, so the auto-resetting digital fuse is redundant and unnecessary.

A530646F-1EC0-4606-B8A6-00686D975A93.jpeg

Archived