Changes in UK Import rules/ Import problem? UPS Brokerage

M4th3w

HI, Ive been getting parts for my airsoft from abroad for years. Just tried importing a folding stock for my KWA M93. KJW Folding Stock for KWA KJW M93R Series Airsoft Training GBB Pistols, Accessories & Parts, Gas Gun Parts, Hand Gun Stocks - Evike.com Airsoft Superstore

Got stopped in customs as they suspect its a RIF. Got the following document from UPS to fill. Seems to imply you need a defence to import Airsoft parts. Also it seems to distinguish between a RIF and an "Airsoft RIF", they want specifically UKRA number, which seems an unusual monopoly on proof of being a skirmisher and it also does not seem to mention reenacment.

This all seems very odd to me?

Copy of document contents below:

UPS TRACKING NUMBER 

Section (a) (Delete accordingly)

Are you importing this shipment as a:

• Private individual (PR) Yes / No If ‘Yes’ supply Date of Birth……………………………………….

• Non VAT registered organization Yes / No

• VAT registered organization Yes / No If ‘Yes’ supply VAT number………………………………………..

Section (b) (Delete accordingly)

Type of Firearm you are importing:

• Lethal Firearm  Yes / No If ‘Yes’ supply 

Licence or Firearm Certificate Number ………………………………………………..   

• Lethal Firearm parts only Yes / No If ‘Yes’ supply 

Licence or Firearm Certificate Number ………………………………………………… 

• Ammunition for Lethal Firearms Yes / No If ‘Yes’ supply 

Licence or Firearm Certificate Number …………………………………………..……

• Deactivated Firearm Yes / No If ‘Yes’ supply

Deactivation Certificate Number …………………………………………….…………….

• Antique Firearm (Over 100 years old) Yes / No If ‘Yes’ complete only section (e)

• Realistic/Imitation Firearm (inc Parts) Yes / No If ‘Yes’ complete section (c)

• Paintball  (inc Parts) Yes / No If ‘Yes’ complete section (d)

Section (c) (Delete accordingly)

Type of Realistic/Imitation Firearm:

• Realistic Imitation Firearm (RiFs) Yes / No If ‘Yes’ complete appropriate details

For theatrical performances or rehearsals Yes / No  

For production of films or TV programmes Yes / No

For display at a museum or gallery Yes / No

For display at a commercial firearms event 

(e.g. exhibition or arms fair) Yes / No

Please give full event details including date and venue ……………………………………………………………..……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….……………………………………….…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Realistic Air Soft Gun   Yes / No If ‘Yes’ for PR/Non VAT registered organization complete 

UKARA Registration Number ………………………………..

Name of recognized organization/club …………………………………………………………………………………

Velocity Declaration …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….……………………….

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….……………………….

RiF’s Parts Yes/No If ‘Yes’ confirm the use of the RiF as above

• Unrealistic Imitation Firearm Yes / No If ‘Yes’ complete appropriate details

Imitation of a firearm over 100yrs old Yes / No

Smaller than 38mm in height and 70mm in length Yes / No

Transparent in colour or predominantly bright red, 

orange, yellow, green, pink, purple or blue Yes / No

If ‘Yes’ state colour ……………………………………………….

RiF’s Parts Yes/No If ‘Yes’ confirm the type of the Unrealistic RiF as above

Section (d) (Delete accordingly)

• Paintball Marker Yes / No If ‘Yes’ complete Velocity Declaration ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….……………………….

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..…

Paintball Marker Parts Yes/No If ‘Yes’ complete Velocity Declaration

• If you have answered ‘No’ to the above questions please explain the reason for import

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….…

……………………………………….…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….….

……………………………………….………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….…………….

Section (e)

Declaration to be signed by all parties

Full Name (in upper case)………………………………………………………………………………………………….…………

Signature…………………………………….…………………………..……………….. Date…………………………………………

This document will be attached to the Import entry to aid the clearance of the shipment through UK Customs

Firearm fax form.doc

Nothing to worry about. Up to you of course but can't hep but think you should decline to provide a UKARA number / proof of defence as there is nothing to defend against.

I've only had to do it twice but each time (both for parts, not a RIF) I did:

Section A: private individual and my DOB

Section B: Yes to RIF/ (inc parts)

Section C I answered no or N/A to everything, put n/a as my answer to the question about event details, the ukara stuff, the velocity stuff, name of recognised organisation etc. the only thing i put "yes" to was "RiF parts"

Section D I answered "no" to the questions about paintball marker and parts and n/a for the question about reasons for import

tldr: i answered "yes" to rif (inc parts) on section B, yes to "RiF parts" on section C, and no and/or n/a to everything else.

I rarely import these days but circa 2006 I imported a couple of NBB Colt .25s and UPS required me to fill out paperwork delcaring what it was, power output (which of course I knew having sneaked into the customs warehouse to chrono them) etc before they'd release them for delivery so it's nothing particually new.

I suspect UPS are particually awkward after they got into trouble for carrying printers with bombs in the ink cartridges years back.

Importing/exporting/customs declarations are all getting a bit of a shake up at the moment though with more and more countries giving priority to packages with electronics declarations or outright refusing to lets ones without through, changes to VAT rules, new online sales taxes, removal of import tax exemptions for low value goods in some countries and so on. The years of businesses (mainly in Asia) ticking the gift box and putting an insanely low value on the declarations is now starting to catch up, loopholes are getting closed and customs are getting tougher.

Archived