Cheek pistol technique for airsoft and MP9 build

blobface

Not sure how many of us have seen the recent Forgotten Weapons video where Ian tries out a bizarre cheek pistol technique, it's made up by this guy who runs a YouTube channel called Demonstrated Concepts. Here's a video.. demonstrating the concept. 

After quickly throwing some stuff together with an MP7, I pretty much decided this is extremely good for airsoft especially in CQB, I can go through a doorway sideways without moving the gun or adjusting my aim, and the entire time I'd still be looking through the optics. I can switch "shoulder/face" to peek tight corners without switching hands, exposing nothing but half my head and the gun itself, and I can still accurately shoot as far as the BBs can reach repeatedly. Counterintuitively, you also get better peripheral vision with this than even a handgun, because the gun and optic is so close to one of your eye, if you close the dominant eye, there's almost no gun and no hand visible with your other eye, unlike pistol or rifle where some of your vision is obstructed by your gun/hand/arm even with the non-dominant eye. 

After being really convinced by this, I bought a second hand MP9, and here is the build: 

PXL-20210918-125038173.MP.jpg

This is a temporary 3D printed optics mount which will be replaced by a metal mount when one arrives, I believe any 1.93" mount will work, I've also tested it with airsoft mesh mask (the ones with fabric in place of mesh for the cheeks) it also has a 3D printed QD sling mount. With the TLR-10 at that position, I can easily access it with my thumb while doing the weird clamp hold. 

CAR springs to mind, and while that's a stupid system for shooting outside of the most confined of spaces I'd say it's the equivalent to this method for a firearm that has exposed moving parts (i.e. a slide).  Once you enclose a bolt in a receiver then adding that 3rd point of contact does really seem to work.  I think it has a lot more value in a firearm given the difficulty of shooting stock-less firearms vs stock-less airsoft, but making yourself way more compact when you go through a corridor etc certainly makes sense.  Given (obviously) s=d/t you can certainly target transition faster this way than you can when using a stocked SMG in the normal way.

This is one of those things that'll get wrung out by serious dude bros over the next couple of years I think and it'll either get adopted or go the way of various other non-conventional shooting methods that end up nothing more than the butts of jokes for many a tactical meme.

I hadn't considered using it for bbs when the FW video went up to be honest but well done for thinking outside the box and trying it out in a sensible fashion based on some pretty legit source material.

Do you really need life or dead accuracy in a game? I can´t take myself so seriously 😅 if I end alive any game either I got lost in the woods or you are really bad (edited).

I would rather get a P90 for such job... 

Two hands on gun? check!

Cheek on gun? check!

Sight in a front elevated over the barrel area? check!

Stock resting on shoulder? check!

No empty cases disturbing me, a blessed left handed? CHECK!

The lack of any sort of guard against putting your palm over the muzzle is a little worrisome. Well, less so for airsoft, but under stress it could be an issue.

Otherwise I like the idea. It reminds me a bit of the old Skorpion machine pistol, where the 'stock' is actually intended as a cheek brace due to its short length.

5 hours ago, CatgutViolin said:

The lack of any sort of guard against putting your palm over the muzzle is a little worrisome. Well, less so for airsoft, but under stress it could be an issue.

The SPP, which was specifically designed as a pistol, has a prominent finger stop and an extended muzzle device to reduce the chances of you accidentally shooting your own fingers off. Since the KSC SPP was discontinued the best base for a SPP-like build is the railed MP9, because if you pull the bottom rail off, that finger stop is hidden under there. Here's a KSC/KWA lower:

IMG_20180913_154138_1400x.jpg?v=15714398

The real cheek pistol prototypes demonstrated have flash hiders or suppressors to get your fingers away from the muzzle a bit.

21 hours ago, PureSilver said:

The SPP, which was specifically designed as a pistol, has a prominent finger stop and an extended muzzle device to reduce the chances of you accidentally shooting your own fingers off. Since the KSC SPP was discontinued the best base for a SPP-like build is the railed MP9, because if you pull the bottom rail off, that finger stop is hidden under there. Here's a KSC/KWA lower:

IMG_20180913_154138_1400x.jpg?v=15714398

The real cheek pistol prototypes demonstrated have flash hiders or suppressors to get your fingers away from the muzzle a bit.

I don't think a handstop on the underside of the frame does much good when this is the shooting posture:

41980933_ScreenShot2021-09-23at3_37_12PM.thumb.png.a1897e1eef27de30c997b36301312a69.png

Like you said there is a muzzle device to at least add a bit of length, but Blobface doesn't have that. The act of bringing it to the cheek, getting your palm up top while keeping it away from the muzzle, and getting a shot off while under stress and time pressure just seems a little dicey to me, that's all.

I watched that video a few more times and as it turns out, there's no muzzle device, what I thought was some sort of flash hider was just his torch but at certain angles, looks like the muzzle. So he's actually doing it pretty much like mine. His shooting position in your particular screenshot kinda helps given one of the finger is wrapping around the optics mount to index your hand position, but yeah, I'd definitely make something to protect my hand if this was a firearm instead of airsoft, and if I shoot myself in the hand next week, I may make something for the airsoft version too lol 

PXL-20210929-102753648.MP.jpg

PXL-20211001-123011229.MP.jpg

giphy.gif

Made a bare minimal tracer unit housing for this, I believe the internal unit is the 5KU compact muzzle flash tracer unit.  

A quick little video showing some gameplay using this thing, as a proof of concept this definitely works, will take some getting used to for it to feel as natural as whatever one is used to normally, but it makes you a very small target especially when quickly going through narrow spaces. 

• 3 months later...

Archived