AK Base for RS parts

TheFull9

I recently decided to actually take a bit of time to understand the zenitco handguards and now all that stuff makes sense to me I think it's time to get my first ever AK.  The parts should be relatively easy to source I think but good base guns seem in short supply and prices are climbing sharpish so I want to lock that bit down.

I want to put a real folding stock, top cover and handguard on primarily, the other little bits I can wait to figure out down the line.  Far as I can gather, the main things to worry about in these regards are the lower front of the receiver below the hop for the handguard, various receiver dimensions for the cover and then the pin that holds the folding stock in place (5.5mm?).  Going 105 length here and I've looked at the LCT 100 series with that length barrel and the 100 series plastic/hollow triangle folding stocks.  Apparently all AEG receivers are a little too long though so that might kill the top cover idea?

Any other experience anyone has or ideas of more niche facebook groups etc to ask in would be gratefully received.

Real sword AK receivers have the right length iirc, apparently as does the new AKM GBBR by TM. That's the only two I can think of, LCT/GHK all have the wrong receiver length so you're not going to be able to fit the top cover without doing what @GRIM! had to do with his GHK build, moving the latch point forward creating a visible "tail". 

In all honesty, you might as well just go for a full LCT "zenitco" build since it probably would end up cheaper in the long run than buying the real zenitco and trying to mod it to anything.

Naturally I would say the Northern Pact fb page, perhaps some of the owners groups for particular brands might be able to help out.

I will say that I have seen way too many folks go for zenitco copy paste builds for their first ak platform and then end up selling it after one game because of the weight.

Hm, well cheers guys definitely saved me leaping before looking and getting the wrong thing.  I'm leaning more towards a Sureshot Armament setup than Zenitco to be honest, but overall if there isn't a 105 type gun out there yet that has the proper receiver length I'll have to either put this on hold or limit it to an indoor only style of build setup (for my personal needs).

Is there even a way to get Real Swords anymore?  In my head I thought NPO made an conventional calibre AK setup, but apparently not at the moment.  Kalashnikov have put out videos promoting airsoft releases multiple times then nothing which is a definite shame.

It'd make for a nice receiver for a base and of course chopping the barrel is possible, but I'm pretty certain me and someone with a good workshop would have to rivet a new rear trunnion to get what I want and I have no idea how outer barrels/gas block inner diameters vary between brands in order to fit the 100 series type block with integral front sight.  Doable with enough time, money and skill but you're talking about as big of a commitment to a build as I can pretty much imagine short of metal working something from scratch lol.

TM I'm concerned r.e. the very Russian way these handguards are mounted to the receivers tbh, unless someone can show me clear and very strong evidence to the contrary of my current thinking they're kinda off my list.

Archived