Doing a spring swap on a TM AK47. Is my new spring too long? And what's *this* piece that fell out???

RostokMcSpoons

So yeah, a bit of a noob when it comes to this, I'm following a 'how-to' video on YT, but it's a JG gun, not a TM, and I think it's subtly different.
Anyway I've got the gearbox cracked open and the old spring is out.  It's too hot for my local site, so I bought an Action Army M95 spring.

The weird thing is the new one is about 0.75" longer than the old (M120?) one (that's a couple of cm in new money)
I've also got the original TM spring... it's the same length as the too-powerful spring.
Now I have to say the new M95 does feel like a slightly lighter gauge of wire.  But should I go ahead and fit it?

I've also got a lump of black metal that I strongly suspect sits inside the hop adjuster.  It fits in there snugly when oriented correctly.  Can anyone confirm that's correct? 

Any help much appreciated :) 

PXL_20211009_145919832.jpg

Springs of different lengths are very common in airsoft, they have different performance characteristics in terms of the forces to compress, and the resultant release(fps). So long as the spring doesn't coilbind when the AEG cycles, then the system works, and it should, then there's no issue.

Which piece is your extra piece, I see nothing from the hop in your picture.

On 10/10/2021 at 3:31 AM, ED-SKaR said:

Springs of different lengths are very common in airsoft, they have different performance characteristics in terms of the forces to compress, and the resultant release(fps). So long as the spring doesn't coilbind when the AEG cycles, then the system works, and it should, then there's no issue.

Which piece is your extra piece, I see nothing from the hop in your picture.

Cheers, so the spring is probably fine - that's good to know

The extra piece wasn't from the hop, it's the front magazine lip.

Archived