M24 diagnosis

Brian Stoner

Hi, all! 

I'm having a bit of difficulty with my Snow Wolf M24, (I know, I know...it's like a Model T now...)  and wondered if anyone would be kind enough to suggest some possible 'causes' for the symptoms. It's about 3-4 years old, very little use, ( strictly target ). 

1.  It had been developing a problem with the trigger and safety, the safety seemed to work its way back to being stuck between 'Fire' and 'Safe', jamming the trigger, and when it was pushed to 'Fire' the rifle fired.  I guess I was somehow brushing the top of the safety lever when working the bolt, but when I checked, the underside of the bolt-handle and the top of the safety lever (still) have not a scratch on them, finish is still perfect.  But it then jammed completely and so I pulled the trigger-box, and eventually replaced the spring that engages the end of the piece above the trigger, with the square hole in it. [Sorry for the lack of terminology. Firearms I understand but I'm new to airsoft].  Got it back together and it reinstalled OK. Trigger and safety now operate correctly. 

Now the cocking is erratic, sometimes it will not engage the sear to hold the piston back.  Plus, my forward hand-grip, and either pressing on the bottom of the mag or not, seems to affect its cocking as well. The mag always seems to hang down a bit at the rear, as if the rear edge is not fully 'seated'. I would imagine that this then causes the mag's upright section holding the 'next' BB to become 'angled', which would seem to me to interfere with loading. I read of some others having this mag-seating problem with M24s.  Is this common? 

When it DOES cock, it sounds almost like a slight 'crunch' , or extremely brief grinding, noise at the end of the bolt-handle's cocking-stroke, but once it's cocked, it fires normally.  Could the 'crunch' indicate something not correctly installed? 

2.   During one of the disassemblies, a plastic ring, the size of the receiver ID,  fell out and I didn't see where it had come from. But the barrel shroud is a bit loose, and I cannot remember whether it had been like this before. It seems to be able to turn another 1/8 turn, even when the holes for the reassembly of the mag-well are lined up. Is there supposed to be a ring at the 'seat' of the barrel-shroud's threads in the receiver? I'm not sure if that's where I reinstalled it but thought I'd ask before I pull it apart AGAIN.  

3.  Can anyone provide a link to an 'exploded drawing' of the M24? I've looked but all I can find are reviews, disassembly vids and hop-up vids, which are fine, but I could really use a drawing, if there's one out there. 

Any ideas?  Thanks!    

Normally cocking issues with BASRs are down to wear on the sears. It sounds like your rifle also had that plastic ring as a spacer which, which might explain why the outer barrel is now loose.

The M24 is largely VSR-based - you might have to settle for a Marui parts diagram. Here's a basic VSR-10 G-Spec.

Excellent! Thank you for taking the time to respond and for that drawing. It answered the question that there should indeed be one of those rings at EACH end of the receiver.  I pulled the trigger again today (I'm getting pretty good at it!  lol) and saw that on the bottom of the sear , the edge that rides above the trigger-bar after being fired, was indeed scraped raw. Reassembled again, fired a few rounds perfectly but now does not pick up a BB reliably. It now cocks on each attempt but no BB.  Are M24s considered problematic in this way? Loading issues?  I hate to replace the whole trigger box, so perhapos if I could find a place to sell the parts I'd get another ring, and a STEEL sear,. The one in it now looks to be made of what we used to call 'pot metal'.  

There's a shop north of where I live that seems to be fairly knowledgeable...hard to tell as it's of course in Thai.  But I will contact them, put the wife on translator duty and find out about getting a new sear and those plastic rings. 

Also, if there are parts listed as being for a Marui, would they fit? Marui makes an M24 variant, don't they?  

Thanks again.

Archived