wanna try makin a minigun

Meathead316

Hi, i wanan try makin a mini gun, nothing too fancy, all i want it to do is to spin and fire. my plan was to get plastic piping from a DIY store, a cordless drill, and a mini electric AEG, and then knock up summat similar to a minigun. one question tho, how powerful of a drill do you think i will need? would a cordless screw driver work ya reckon? and can i make the mini aeg stronger? (change the spring maybe)

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck dude. We'd all love to make one of these. I had some plans knocking around for one of my own, even designed a unique centrifugal-based loading system. I have shelved the plans now though as I'm just not going to have time or money available to do it.

For inspiration though, check out this site...

http://www.pipersprecisionproducts.com

Oh, and thread moved to "Project Suggestions" subforum.

plan it ALLL out before you evin buy a screw, then show it to a few enginer's and see what they think, then go about makeing it.

Ive looked into it, they arent "that" bad, I was looking into making an asahi style all-electric minigun, the main issue I was running into was feeding 100rns/sec or so. wouldnt really need any machined parts except for pistons either. The asahi one uses a really really cool centrifugal force feeding mech.

Miniguns have a few issues, main one is how to feed rounds into spinning barrels, the asahi gun solves this by rotating the entire gun, gearbox, barrels, hopup, everything, pretty much putting 6 aegs into one big case, its probably the smartest way of doing it.

Trying to do it with one firing mech shooting down more than one barrel is very, very hard. IMHO your best bet if you "really" want to do what you are suggesting, is get a decent 9.6v drill, and mount 1 mini electric per barrel, making sure that you account for the centrifugal force's effect on the feeding mech. The main problem you will have is this, when you turn on the drill if there is too much weight in the mech, it'll blow the drills gearbox, when you turn it off, if the mech weighs too much and drags the gearbox, it'll blow the gearbox. Also its going to take some trial and error to make sure that the spinning portion of the gun is balanced enough it doesnt "dance" for you.

Just a breif correction: The Asahi Minigun was gas/electric hybrid - as is the P3 version. The only AEG minigun is the ToyTec.

The Asahi and the ToyTec have some fairly major issues with them - both require that you use a specific BB, extra hard... Because they were prone to jamming a little with softer (read normal) ones and with that rate of fire by the time you realise you have a jam there are 50 or 60 BBs crunched to paste in your internals.

If you're using a mini as your internals then you might as well rig it so that it fires down the central "axle" rather than the barrels, it's less engineering and your rotating barrels are just for show, but it's less engineering.

i reckon it would be possible, the rate of fire will be a bit poo tho especially if i strecthed the spring)so i thought, why nopt have to mini aegs inside it right next to each other firing down and internal double barrel, spinning barrels just for show. would fire twice as many bbs. also could i use one regular sized AEG battery to run both the mini aegs without the fear of them setting on fire?

the problem with the minis is they are ######, they have a poor rate of fire, and poor range, i can upgrade rof with mor ebattery power, i can upgrade the power by adjusting spring, but if i do any of these then i put lots of stress on the plastic gears and the motor could over heat, so upgrading both is out of the question. thats why i want 2 guns with upgraded power. double guns means it will appear to be firing faster unless they are going at the same time) i might just use one gun with upgraded power, and add a little gizmo that the spinnign axel on the inside hits to make a clicking sound similar to the gun firing to make it sound more like a mini gun shud.

im off to b&q 2morro to get a *beep* load of piping of diffent sizes, screws, and a hacksaw.

sounds like a great plan...full of obsticles but still a great plan, you've convinced me to try it myself!! mite use a mac11 as the base gun tho, with the mag sticking out of the side :huh: ive seen miniguns with the mag sticking outta the side and it doesnt look too bad lol.

An other way would be to cheat a bit. Have a normal AEG and add a rotating section as a prop. The true barrel would be at the middle, and the dummy barrels would rotate around it. From close it would be evident that the rotating barrels shoot nothing, but from a distance it would not make a difference. It spins up and then BBs start to hit all over.

In the gatling way, I doubt that you could sync the barrels and the motor. Even if you could a great amount of air would go away because of the less than perfect sealing because of the 2 piece barrels.

looks gay, imo. i was thinking about using a small aeg smg (maybe and mp5k) trimming it down and removing any bits that dont need to be there for the gun to function properly. that way it will be able to strand its ground on the field against some one with and aeg. only problem is it is more costly, and it had best work after i buy and then cut up and aeg. hopefully i can find an aeg that will fit into the body of the mini gun with no mayjor alteration.

looks gay, imo. i was thinking about using a small aeg smg (maybe and mp5k) trimming it down and removing any bits that dont need to be there for the gun to function properly. that way it will be able to strand its ground on the field against some one with and aeg. only problem is it is more costly, and it had best work after i buy and then cut up and aeg. hopefully i can find an aeg that will fit into the body of the mini gun with no mayjor alteration.

thats the toytec one in the pics, im gunna try n hide the mag somewhere in the gun, and mod the mag so its hods more than 50 rounds :blink: challenge. what about a tm g3sas their not that big and has a good mag size?

i might just stick to a min aeg first, if that works out good, i'll try upgrading it using an aeg. gettin all the parts for it 2morro. (besides the guns)

cool, well god knows how im gunna go about making one of these, but im gunna bloody well try! when we've got sumthing to show for our labours we shud start up a new thread "budget miniguns" lol.

Gotta say, if it was me I'd build the spinning barrels out of plastic tubing and then just have the gun shooting out of a single, centrally positioned barrel.

Not very techie but it'll work and look good. Build it with a decent gearbox and power it with a 9.6v (or higher) battery and it'll fire fast enough to look the part.

I though I through and I think the mech solution is rather simple. The making of such gun on the other hand, would require lots of good tools and some serious shop knowledge. The idea would be to have 6 full gearbox+hopup+barrel rigged up. It has to be very very solid or the whole thing will just fall apart b/o the rotation. (I'd not be around when a gearbox flies out at 100 M/H) You would have to attach a special magazine that has 6 feeding holes. 1 for each hop-up. Imagine something like a drum mag with 6 holes. The inside of the mag should look like a 6 pointed star so that the BBs will move tovard the holes. It would be built in and you would feed it with BB by onening a door at its front. When the gun rotates at high speed the centripretal force will extert enough force and the BBs will move to each hop-up. To make it fire you have to add a rigid wire or plate to the + and the - side of the motor. Also add 2 fixed plates that connects to battery. When the motor is in the right place the corresponing plates will hit each other, create a circuit, thus fire the gearbox. The size of the plate depends on the speed of the rotation. You need a fixed time to make a full cycle therefore the plates has to be conected that time intervall only. If the rotation is faster then you need longer battery side plates. For rotating something that big and heavy you would need a bigger power source (maybe a car battery) and a bigger motor. Or a gearbox. Maybe both. An additional thing that the bullets will not fly straight but sideway a little because of the rotation. But with a little tinkering with the hop-up I'm sure it can fire straight. The use of such gun? INTIMIDATION AND IMPOSSIBLE RATE OF FIRE.

Gotta say, if it was me I'd build the spinning barrels out of plastic tubing and then just have the gun shooting out of a single, centrally positioned barrel.

Not very techie but it'll work and look good. Build it with a decent gearbox and power it with a 9.6v (or higher) battery and it'll fire fast enough to look the part.

if you read all the post in this topic u'll find out that a central positioned gun is what im aiming at doing as the timing for spinning barrels will be very difficult

if you read all the post in this topic u'll find out that a central positioned gun is what im aiming at doing as the timing for spinning barrels will be very difficult

same here, mines a b&q bodge so it ain't gunna be that techie, still workin on the design. going with a gas gun for sure tho. :unsure:

Archived