Letters for Ohio

Phoenix

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Guardian had a campaign of sending undecided registered voters in Ohio. Here are some of the responces: Responces to Letters

I'd like to apologize for some of my more ignorant countrymen.

You didnt have to apologise. Its not your fault from the begining. Peace bro

its not your fault what other people say. B)

Again, I'd like to apologize for the vast numbers of ignorant and stupid people over here in the states.

Some of those letters struck a few nerves that are directly connected to my pet peeves.

1. If it wasn't for the Russians (not the Americans as they teach in the hillbilly schools some of those who responded obviously attended) we'd all be speaking German, if it wasn't for the Eastern Front, D-Day would've been a lot different, so would the Italian campaign and all those "stunning victories" on the Western Front

2. The British fought a LOT longer than the Americans did in WWII, not to mention Americans never went through anything like the blitz or the V-weapons (9-11 and Pearl Harbor don't count)

3. If Americans are so smart, then how come the national IQ ranks towards the bottom of modern industrialized nations (at times it seems like it's striving towards double digits, let alone triple digits <_< )

4. American food isn't exactly the greatest either, and often times they're borrowed dishes from England or the rest of Europe and they're usually screwed up by Americans

5. If the EU sucks so much, then why are most of the weapons (and concepts) used by the US military are of European origin? And why are the best engineers usually trained in Europe??

6. Last time I checked, it was the British who first industrialized and then showed America how to industrialize, I think I'm onto something here...

I'm through ranting about the lacking state of American world awareness, it's repulsive and appalling looking at the state of American society today

Got to say that I thought this was pretty dumb of the Guardian.

You start getting letters from someone overseas telling you how they think you should vote, your initial reaction's going to be "Who the hell are they to give me advice? They don't even live here!", no matter who you support.

I think Bush is possibly the worst president the US has ever had, but something like this is just going to get people's backs up (which is highlighted in a good few of the more literate responses).

Well, they like starting wars for one :D

I just fear that something like this will drive undecided voters into the arms of the Euro-bashing Republicans purely out of annoyance.

EDIT: this was my favourite response. Proving that Americans can do biting sarcasm as well as anyone

My dear, beloved Brits,

I understand the Guardian is sponsoring a service where British citizens write to Americans to advise them on how to vote. Thank heavens! I was adrift in a sea of confusion and you are my beacon of hope!

Feel free to respond to this email with your advice. Please keep in mind that I am something of an anglophile, so this is not confrontational. Please remember, too, that I am merely an American. That means I am not very bright. It means I have no culture or sense of history. It also means that I am barely literate, so please don't use big, fancy words.

Set me straight, folks!

I'm glad I live in Hawaii, where nobody really gives a damn. I was chatting with my friend earlier today, and I asked him who he'd gonna vote for. He said 'Who's running?'

Lucky *beep* doesn't know who John Kerry is. :blink: But at the same time, that kinda ticks me off because he's not gonna vote at all. But eh, a vote for Bush is a vote for war, and a vote for Kerry is a vote for Terrorism. :huh:

We're boned no matter who goes in office. ;)

Easy there, Sledge.  You know us.  We'd miss completely and hit Iceland. :huh:

Well, I didn't want to say it, but... you're right. :D On the plus side, it means when we decide to restore the US to its rightful place as one of Her Majesty's dominions, we haven't got to worry about you guys nuking us out. I feel sorry for Helsinki though... :lol:

Well, I didn't want to say it, but... you're right. :D On the plus side, it means when we decide to restore the US to its rightful place as one of Her Majesty's dominions, we haven't got to worry about you guys nuking us out. I feel sorry for Helsinki though... :lol:

Helsinki is the Capital of Finland, not Iceland :rolleyes:

Icelands Capital is Recya...,no Wrecyer...,no Reekja... you know, that cold place with the strange name.

first off, it's people like that, that make america look stupid. i'm tired of people like that that call the US the best country ever and s**t on everyone else. i LOVE my country but i do NOT s**t on other countries, i always try to help foreigners when i see them and have a positive outlook on the rest of the world, especially brits since they're our closest allies so it seems (altho you guys just need something better than the L85s, i'm not to fond of em and heard somewhere that theyre unreliable :P )

second off, destrukto, i think you should move to another country or something. you're starting to bug me you're on the other end if my dislikes about some of my fellow americans. they s**t all over their own country yet dont seem to be going anywhere...<_<

people really shouldn't hate the people of a country or the overall country if theyve never been there or talked to a decent deal of the people. until i found arnie's i didnt like the british at all because my friend (who moved to NYC from Belfast, Ireland) would always say a boatload of bad things about brits and anytime he saw tony blair on TV or something, he'd give him the finger and call him a "######." so naturally, not knowing much about brits, i followed his lead then found this site and really started to like brits and realize some of them arent much different than americans. alot of times i cant tell where someone is from until i actually LOOK at the location and i've been surprised a few times that people i thought were brits were americans and vice versa.

I do plan on leaving the US for good sometime in the near future, there's very little left for me here, no jobs and not a whole lot of a future...

The reason I'm correcting the high school history books is in a vain attempt at making Americans realize that without Europe and the rest of the world America would've never existed in the first place. If you've ever taken a college level history course you'd know that because high school textbooks leave out the parts that make America look bad.

Another question, why shouldn't I s**t all over America? There's nothing saying I can't, unless "Homeland Security" has gotten rid of the first amendment along with the 4th

And lastly, what has America done for me that it should earn my praise and undying allegiance?? Answer: Absolutely Nothing

Archived