NorthEast MP2 Gbb (Bundeswehr UZI)

sandstorm

• sandstorm changed the title to NorthEast MP2 Gbb (Bundeswehr UZI)
15 hours ago, renegadecow said:

Same. Personally would rather Hebrew markings and NE said they will, but I can't wait.

NE does so many variations on their limited Smgs, that I am holding back a bit for wood stocked 16" barrel police carbine.

9 hours ago, sandstorm said:

NE does so many variations on their limited Smgs, that I am holding back a bit for wood stocked 16" barrel police carbine.

Someone on FB asked about a 16" version and NE said they aren't planning to.

Can I ask what police used a 16" Uzi? I was under the impression that 16" barrels solely existed to meet US NFA requirements for civilian owners.

They denied that they were working on the Uzi ever since someone noticed one in the back of early Sten work in progress photos, so it's not like they couldn't say one, and then roll out something else couple of years later. 

As for police use of 16" barrel carbines, that's something that I am not too certain about either. Police in Europe did use semi-only versions of SMGs as supplement to sidearms, but don't know if they had same with Uzis... 

Highly unlikely they'll do the 16". not enough interest.  Also not just a longer barrel, theres the matter of converting the mech to closed bolt.  As for Police use of em, highly unlikely, pretty sure they where basically for US Civilian use.

On 4/29/2022 at 5:17 AM, sandstorm said:

As for police use of 16" barrel carbines, that's something that I am not too certain about either. Police in Europe did use semi-only versions of SMGs as supplement to sidearms, but don't know if they had same with Uzis... 

I've seen semi-only conversions for police use, but the usual method for that was to simply weld or rivet a blocker into the selector track so that the gun cannot be switched to full auto. That's a cheap and easy conversion for open-bolt full-auto guns if all you are worried about is functionally locking out automatic fire.

The US BATFE, however, considers any open bolt gun a machine gun regardless of its fire control, and barrel length under 16" makes even a closed-bolt gun a Title II short-barreled rifle (SBR), so  Uzis imported into the US for commercial sale have a substantially different closed-bolt system (that cannot accept FA bolts) and 16" barrels. Government customers, like the Secret Service, just bought standard off-the-shelf full-auto 10" Uzis.

I'm not aware of any government, police, or military forces ever using either closed-bolt or 16"-barrel Uzis.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got mine yesterday.

P1j7OB0.jpg

Overall impression is that this is a very, very nicely made replica- and I have the real thing to compare against- with just a few teething problems I'm working through. Northeast says they're revising the design to account for all issues I've spotted, so the second batch should have them ironed out and NE is promising parts for existing owners.

One thing I was concerned about and figure someone else is wondering- the nozzles are glued shut but they're nylon and very easy to un-glue by wicking a bit of acetone into the gap, and once opened, the rocket valve is a standard hollow WE type so trivially easy to adjust FPS. I've got this one working at a consistent 1J now so I can use it in CQB.

Mine's on a slow boat. Ordered from KIC and apparently all Taiwan sales were delayed due to some legal requirements so everyone else gets theirs weeks earlier. There's a guy on YT who's had a heap of trouble, but it's mostly down to top cover fitment which you can see in one of NE's videos being rectified by a literal hammer. Unironically, this is a problem on real Uzis too at least when changing top covers.

7 hours ago, sandstorm said:

Is that wooden stock from your real one? But it doesn't look half bad. 

Yup. The real folding stock was a drop-in fit, but the wood stock needed a tiny bit of filing to its mounting bracket. Probably just part-to-part fitment.

12 minutes ago, renegadecow said:

Mine's on a slow boat. Ordered from KIC and apparently all Taiwan sales were delayed due to some legal requirements so everyone else gets theirs weeks earlier. There's a guy on YT who's had a heap of trouble, but it's mostly down to top cover fitment which you can see in one of NE's videos being rectified by a literal hammer. Unironically, this is a problem on real Uzis too at least when changing top covers.

Yeah, although there's just a little more to it than that. On mine, I've noticed the top cover is tighter at the front of the bolt's travel than the rear, so the hammer adjustment method (which, as you note, is a thing on real Uzis too) would result in the bolt being unable to fully close before it resulted in reliable tripping of the disconnector. I had to instead modify the rear of the top cover just a bit, to make the back end sit lower without affecting the front. The underlying issue is that the disconnector is just a bit too short.

Northeast says they're releasing a larger disconnector to solve the problem, and with their Stens at least they provided replacement/fixed parts for free to existing owners, so I'm not too bothered. In the meantime, mine does work as it should.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived