Getting into MGs

sniperelite7

I'd like to make my way into the wonderful world of suppressive fire. 

Due to my field rules I can use any mmg at around 420fps so long as its not a replica of a 5.45/5.56 weapon. So I've narrowed my choices down to three models. 

PKP/PKM, m240b, or mk48.

I'm leading towards the lambda defense mk48, I have heard the exterior build quality is good. Downside is any review I find says there are compression issues. Does any have any experience with model? I can fix compression issues all day on version 2 gearboxes and m4s. But can't get a good look at the internals of the lambda mk48.

How are the gearboxes in the m240s on the market?

Ditto with the pkp/m. I've noticed LCT is bringing one to market.

On 4/20/2022 at 12:34 PM, sniperelite7 said:

I'd like to make my way into the wonderful world of suppressive fire. 

Due to my field rules I can use any mmg at around 420fps so long as its not a replica of a 5.45/5.56 weapon. So I've narrowed my choices down to three models. 

PKP/PKM, m240b, or mk48.

I'm leading towards the lambda defense mk48, I have heard the exterior build quality is good. Downside is any review I find says there are compression issues. Does any have any experience with model? I can fix compression issues all day on version 2 gearboxes and m4s. But can't get a good look at the internals of the lambda mk48.

How are the gearboxes in the m240s on the market?

I would steer well clear of any M240 out there, regardless of brand. While they're real lookers and great fun, the reliability just isn't there. Gearbox design isn't consistent between manufacturers, or even between batches from the same manufacturer. The box mags are also fussy, which is as important as the gearbox itself. Procurement and installation of repair/upgrade parts can be a real pain too, since so many models are discontinued. More details in my thread here:

I've heard good things about the Lambda series of Mk48 LWMGs. Despite my personal distaste for the real thing (shot it on active duty and was not impressed), I think it's probably the best airsoft MMG out of the box. Compression issues are as easy to fix in its CA/A&K M249-type gearbox as any other AEG. It comes with a solid Bullgear-style hopup unit too, which is a huge improvement over standard M249-style hopups. Buy a new air nozzle and piston head o-ring, and you've got a killer MMG for a really decent price. Lambda will be releasing a UKSF-spec "Maximi" (7.62 Minimi) in the next few weeks, if you're trying to go for that sort of impression.

I'm not terribly familiar with PK series weapons, but they are excellent by all accounts. The addition of an aftermarket Bullgear hopup unit comes highly recommended.

I've owned pretty much all the A&K MGs over the years, and the PKM is the same solid gearbox design as the previous guns with some of the problems ironed out. It is not excellent quality internals out of the box, and the hop leaves a lot to be desired- but it is very easy to work on, the problem parts are all standard V2/V3 spec (gears, piston, motor), and the Bullgear hop unit is a massive improvement. If you really want, it's not even that hard to completely gut the wiring and re-wire the whole gun for reduced resistance.

I've run my PKM hard since its initial release and have been very happy with it. Ease of maintenance is a really big deal for any MG, as you will be breaking things sooner or later, but the gearbox is easy to access and pleasant to work on. It's also much better exterior quality than I expected; I discovered that the receiver is actually pretty decent quality steel when I went to install a side optic mount, was lazy on speeds-and-feeds (expecting the usual mild steel), and ended up dulling a bit.

Big thumbs up on that model from me. Very cheap for what you get. Throw in a Bullgear hop unit with your choice of better bucking/nub, remove the pointless rate of fire rheostat, install a better motor, shoot it until the gears or piston die, swap them out for better alternatives and then shoot it forever- in the end still coming in under the cost of the Lambda Mk48.

Thanks for the input gents. Lambda MK48 is on the way as it was available and my primary milsim kits are all NATO. The PKM will follow though, I enjoy playing opfor.

Shame about the m240 though, It was beating the mk48 on my preferences, but I could not ignore the downsides in that review.

Ardrummer do you still frequent ballahack? Are there any good milsim groups in Virginia? I unfortunately left an excellent airsofting community in California and am hoping there is something like that here in Virginia.

On 4/20/2022 at 1:34 PM, sniperelite7 said:

As much as I love the PKPs and PKMs, gotta admit that LCT's offering is quite bad. I mean, it works fine, but for a $1,000 gun I would have expected them to get the details right. Too many incorrect parts, not to mention the thing weighs 50% more than the real gun, that's quite a hefty gun to begin with.  With ammo and such you're looking at 12Kg / 26 pounds. Not funny to carry around. 

I'd much rather take an A&K PKM and throw in some Zenit parts and Bullgear's hop chamber and magazine insert for ultimate performance. 

18 hours ago, sniperelite7 said:

Ardrummer do you still frequent ballahack? Are there any good milsim groups in Virginia? I unfortunately left an excellent airsofting community in California and am hoping there is something like that here in Virginia.

I still play at Ballahack regularly, usually once every week or two. The airsoft scene here in Hampton Roads is excellent, so you won’t have any trouble finding a group that you like. Shoot me a PM if you want to meet up out there.

On 5/1/2022 at 6:09 PM, ardrummer292 said:

I still play at Ballahack regularly, usually once every week or two. The airsoft scene here in Hampton Roads is excellent, so you won’t have any trouble finding a group that you like. Shoot me a PM if you want to meet up out there.

Will do, im looking to try for the 21st or 28th of this month. I'll PM you later.

The mk48 arrived as well. Definitely going to need some work. It's a solid gun. Probally the best I have ever handled for externals. But the compression was bad and the spring is weak. Once I fixed the compression it was coming in consistently at .77 joules. Good thing I enjoy tinkering.

As the box mag is wired to the trigger. Will an 11.1 lipo kill the boxmag?

Archived