Wiley-X CQC's?

Smoke

Hi,

I'm considering getting a pair of Wiley-X CQC goggles/glasses and was wondering if anyone has used these, and what their thoughts were on them.

Basically, I'm after a low profile goggle that is versatile enough to wear in a variety of situations, eg. over a balaclava for CQB, with a ball cap for CIVCON/CP, and with a boonie for woodland.

Thing is, I've read reviews on the SG-1's which say they fog like mad - obviously not good. So I'm a bit dubious.

I've thought about getting Guarder C3's, but they look daft over a balaclava - hence wanting some form of goggle. Oh, and I've read the Hatch review, they look cool, but not exactly easy to get hold of.

So if you have a pair, what do you think of 'em?

Thanks and regards,

Smoke.

CQCs are better than SG-1s, I believe, but not much.

I looked at buying them and they got fairly poor reports. I believe wasted_youf used to have a pair (I nearly bought his). I may be mis-remembering, though.

If you want quality goggles, go for the Bolle X800s or X500s, or get a pair of ESS NVG Profile goggles and remove the foam filter from the top.

The ESS NVGs come highly recommended by all accounts.

I don't have any yet but they're pretty much next on my 'to buy' list. Make sure you remove the foam filter and they're almost unfoggable, apparently.

The CQCs are better against fogging than the SG1s. However a boonie pulled down low in the front will block the vents at the top of the goggles and will cause fogging. IMO, the best defence against fogging are the ESS TurboCams. Then, in order, the Bolle T-800, the Hatch Boss, then Wiley CQC.

I tend to use my Hatch goggles more often than anything else because I find then the most comfortable.

-Marimba

My CQC's are great, but they fog like hell unless you put some anti fog stuff in them, then they work like a charm. I was out playing in 32 degrees plus (thats celsius for you imperial folks) and they never fogged once.

God that day was hot, apparently the humidity made it feel like it was 35 degrees out, which is ridiculous for my area.

edit

Also I would just like to say the speedo anti fo stuff works really well, just spray it on, let it sit then was it off, and with the cqc's its really easy because you can take the lense out.

I've read the Hatch review, they look cool, but not exactly easy to get hold of.

The BOSS goggles are pretty nice, but they don't fit everybody. Beccause its an alloy frame, it doesn't conform to your face the way flexible framed goggles like the NVG's do. They left gaps around my face that I didn't like. I sold them and bought a couple pairs of the NVG's. ESS has thermal lenses for these now, which are available from my employer. I love the NVG's. By far the most low profile goggle I've ever used.

Thanks for all the replies.

Looks like the NVG's are the way to go then.

Is it just me, or do you guys get little confused as to why companies produce goggles that totally fog? :unsure:

Anyways, thanks for the advice.

Regards,

Smoke.

Yeah, especially as on my SG-1s were stickers saying 100% anti-fogging lenses.

Put em on to drive to work and had to take em off half-way there because they'd fogged up so much. :angry:

Will be trying some FogTech on them to see if that'll help.

Will be trying some FogTech on them to see if that'll help.

The FogTech stops them fogging, but instead of fog you get a moisture build up, which is almost as annoying. I recently took a 2 of the blocks of foam out of on of the set of lenses, i'm hoping that next time i skirmish with them (10th July - unless i get bored tomorrow and test them), the extra ventilation will stop the moisture build-up, which disappears fairly quickly when you take the goggles off.

Ill make it quick and simple.......they suck dont get them.One there ugly.lol. and Two talk about fog up.we used them for some training and they would fog up to much so I just slap on some ESS I had on me. They really are poor..AND not to mention they spider when gettting hit. to those who dont know what that means its when a goggle lens gets hit by a bb traveling fast enough and gets a smash mark on in round in the middle and spiders out. Its when the plastic fillament around the lens getts stretched and it looks damn as hell..Also happens with tinted lens alot. I wouldnt buy them.

Ill make it quick and simple.......they suck dont get them.One there ugly.lol. and Two talk about fog up.we used them for some training and they would fog up to much so I just slap on some ESS I had on me. They really are poor..AND not to mention they spider when gettting hit. to those who dont know what that means its when a goggle lens gets hit by a bb traveling fast enough and gets a smash mark on in round in the middle and spiders out. Its when the plastic fillament around the lens getts stretched and it looks damn as hell..Also happens with tinted lens alot. I wouldnt buy them.

I was useing my tinted lenses last saturday, and got shot numerous times in the goggles with none of this "spidering" going on. Not even a scratch on the lenses to be exact.

I would be interested to know what FPS the gun was that spidered your CQC goggles lenses considering their ballistic rating and 2.5mm lens thickness. I've taken hits on my lenses numerous times, plus the obligatory testing prior to wearing them at point blank on semi and full auto. I havent even ever left marks on the lens, let alone any cracks.

I guess if your claims are as they appear, you either had a dodgy lense, or a gun well above this forums fps discussion limit ;) . Would be interested to see the photo.

I myself have only really had major fogging issues with my CQC's if i wear a balaclava up over my nose, which then funnels warm air up into the eye region. Otherwise a decent coat of anti fog (i also use fogtech) every couple of hours works a treat on my pair.

p.s. i wrote a review a while back when i got them - more skirmishing in them since then and i feel the comments, both positive and negative, still remain valid to me. i wont spend another half a page writing out a summary :)

My review linked here

Shard,

Excellent review sir!

Can't think why it didn't come up when I searched, but nevermind :huh: .

I'm still thinking the ESS NVG's are the way to go, no-one has a bad word to say about them.

Anyone able to tell me if the NVG's will fit under a ball cap?

Once again, thanks for all the replies and advice.

Regards,

Smoke.

Just to say my set of Revision Sawfly glasses turned up today.

Haven't tested them, but they'll take a 12-guage shotgun blast in tests, and it has 'ANSI Z87.1' printed on the frame!

They look pretty sweet, and they're really comfortable.

Polycarb lenses have increased decay if you expose them to large amounts of sunlight. Paintball masks will warn you about this; I'm not sure if tactical military goggles do.

It could always be that you received a defective set of CQBs. They should be able to take 6mm plastic with no scratches whatsoever.

A bit off topic, and I apologise, but what exactly is a CIVCON. I googled it and all I found where civil engineering contractors. And to add my 2 cents (not like you need it) I hear they fog really bad, but they look pretty darn cool. From the review section I would recommend some of those hatch goggles they are pretty low profile, and I saw them for sale on www.lightfighter.com .

Hi,

CIVCON - Civilian Contractor. Also known as PMC's or Private Military Contractors.

Basically, merc's who don't wanna be called mercs anymore, bit politically incorrect these days.

There's a great thread with various people doing their 'impressions' on the gear page (can't remember what it's called).

Regards,

Smoke.

From what I've read.....

Only if you're not fussed about seeing where you're going.

A few issues with fogging (either that or the ability to create a small weather system just in front of your eyes) seems to render them practically unusable.

Although please note, this is not from personal experience - just lots of people reporting the same issue with them.

Regards,

Smoke.

I have a pair of SG-1's, and I dont really have a problem with fogging, a coat of fogtech sorts that out. The problem is with moisture build up, you get a lot of it, so what you see is a little fuzzy. Just wiping it with a cloth to get rid of it seems to remove whatever anti-fog coating is there, and you have to re-apply, so you have to let teh air get to them to let it go naturally.

Archived