Aim M4a1 Boys review

Right, I have recently purchaced this gun from airsoft scotland. i have seen many questions on the forums about the AIM boys guns. There is already an MP5 review so I will only review the M4a1. It cost £30 from Airsoft scotland.

In the Box

Included in the box was the gun itself, a small packet of BBs, the magazine and also a small box saying (but not containing) 6 AA bateries. Upon closer inspection I found out that this box is not long enough to fit one AA batery in, never mind 6.

RobM41.jpg

Introduction/First Imperesions.

The AIM boys guns are AEGs created to get younger people into airsoft. For this reason they are smaller than your average AEG (about 80% of the normal size), they are also less powerfull, though they still have a notable rate of fire. When I first opened the box the M4 was much bigger than I had been expecting it to be, when I measured it it was 72cm (stock extended). It was also heavier than I expected (but ways nothing when compared to an AEG).

robm45.jpg

Closer inspection.

Upon closer inspection, the gun seemed well made. It has an adjustable sight which can be made smaller and moved left and right by twisting a small knob. The charging handle is non functional, as expected. The M4 has many small features that do not function, other than the sights, the fire selector and the mag ejection there is very little else that moves. The very front part of the barrel is quite plastic looking and looks like it could snap off without much dificulty. I also noticed that to fire the M4 you need to press down a small button with your fore finger. This button is on the grip so you don't have to think about pressing it down.

robm47.jpg

The Magazine.

The Magazine is a rather odd system. Firsly you oped a door on the top of the mag and pour in about 100 BBs. Then you must put it in the gun, once in point the gun at the floor and pull down a switch on the front of the mag. Then shake the gun to get some into the tube that feeds the gun. Once done press a button on the side of the mag which locks the BBs in the spring tube. The Mag fits about 17 BBs in the spring tube, and 100+ in the second chamber. This process may sound complicated but can be carried out in about 5 seconds.

robm48.jpg

The Batterys.

The batterys are inserted by pulling back the ring behind the grip, the lifting the top of the grip off. Then 6 AA batterys must be inserted. ( I used Tescos Alkaline)

RobM43.jpg

The Stock.

The stock can be extended to four places. This is done by squeezing the lever on the stock and pulling it back.

RobM44.jpg

The Sights.

The sight has two settings, it has a small hole and a large hole to look through. These can be alternated using a knob on the side of the carry handle. Using the same knob the sights can also be moved from left to right.

RobM46.jpg

Firing.

Once I had loaded the magazine and inserted the batterys I went outside. I flicked the fire selector so Semi Auto and fired a couple of shots that went about 15 meters. I opened up the hopup flap and adjusted the hopup, I aimed and fired again this time it went about 25 meters. I then flicked it into full auto and let go a burst. This gun has quite a high rate of fire. I would estimate it to be about 15 Rounds Per Second. I then stood a chair about 15 meters away and shot at it, with a bit of trying I could hit the chair most times (about 60%) however occasionaly about every 1/6 shots a bb fires completely off target. I don't know if this is just my gun though. Going back inside I fired at my sticky target from about 5 meters and hit every time with quite a good grouping just above the bullseye. I don not know the power of this gun but Airsoft scotlands sight says that it is about 130 fps, I would say its slightly more but without a chronometer I cannot be sure. for comparison it is a lot more powerfull than a TM EBB.

RobM42.jpg

All in all I would say that this is a great gun for beginers, children and backyard plink wars. I would say that you could possibly just about get away with using it in a CQB (its 80% size would be an advantage), but i doubt it at a woodland, for a laugh I will try using it in a woodlan skirmish.

I will try get some better accuracy tests done with it tommorow, bu it was raing when i was shooting it today hence I only shot at a chair.

Edited by Desolation mkII
  • 3 weeks later...
yes my gun also did bent shots

but it was more like 1 in every 3 or 2

spray some silcicon down the mag well and get the hop-up after that my gun fired perfect EVERY time

Yea its stopped now after i put about 1000 rounds through in frustration. A fault that I have noticed happening occasionaly though is that on semi auto the shot ocasionaly stops part way through and it needs to be put on full auto to sort it out.