• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ this is the correct motorcycle.

Its an Aston Martin prototype racer at Le Mans. Theyve renamed the categories so many times Im not sure whether its a Group C, LMP, LM900 or whatever :D

Not quite :)

It IS real and it is a Lola Aston Martin LMP1, but it's at Silverstone (Stowe corner, I believe) - If it was Le Mans all the curbs would be blue and yellow :)

Cheers.

Edited by snowman
Probably a dumb question, but is the cannon rifled? If so, why does it look straight? If not, what is it, and why isnt it rifled?

Edit: took out quoted pic

Never seen a Challenger 2 before? ;)

The barrel is rifled, it just looks straight as you can only see the last few inches; feel free to look up the exact number of grooves and # of degrees twist clockwise or anticlockwise etc.

Rifled for accuracy, unlike the American Abrahms tank that has a smooth bore, and fires its shells.. 'somewhere over there'.... :D:P

ehh, dont think so, I know guns, but not tanks/helis/jets/etc

The barrel is rifled, it just looks straight as you can only see the last few inches; feel free to look up the exact number of grooves and # of degrees twist clockwise or anticlockwise etc.

Rifled for accuracy, unlike the American Abrahms tank that has a smooth bore, and fires its shells.. 'somewhere over there'.... :D:P

Many thanks

Except the Rheinmetall 120mm L/44 cannon doesn't need rifling. Because the projectiles are stabilized by fins, rather than rifling.

And the M1 Abrams had a 105mm rifled bore cannon (made in the UK). We traded up to the 120mm smoothbore on some late model M1s and the M1A1 (through to the new M1A2). And it is not just our choice, either. The Rheinmetall 120mm L/44 is also the choice of weapon for the German Leopard II (although the Leopard IIA6 is upgunned to the new 120mm L/55 cannon), the most common MBT in the Western world, the Israeli Merkava III and IV utilize modified L/44s, the Japanese Type 90, and the South Korean K1 (with the new K2 utilizing the L/55 gun).

The smoothbore allows one to use a greater variety of munitions and... I have to be honest... the rifling on that big of a gun cannot be easy or quickly done.

Oh... and there are two Challenger IIs that have been modified to take the L/55 gun for testing.

:P

I actually have a request for any of the more skilled media editors.

Can you guys get some pictures from the We Are ODST trailer, such as some scenes from the funeral, the battle, and the helmets of the guys.

Basically take any pictures you think are awesome. I really need a ODST desktop bad, but I can't find it anywhere.

Oh and high resolution if possible!

Except the Rheinmetall 120mm L/44 cannon doesn't need rifling. Because the projectiles are stabilized by fins, rather than rifling.

And the M1 Abrams had a 105mm rifled bore cannon (made in the UK). We traded up to the 120mm smoothbore on some late model M1s and the M1A1 (through to the new M1A2). And it is not just our choice, either. The Rheinmetall 120mm L/44 is also the choice of weapon for the German Leopard II (although the Leopard IIA6 is upgunned to the new 120mm L/55 cannon), the most common MBT in the Western world, the Israeli Merkava III and IV utilize modified L/44s, the Japanese Type 90, and the South Korean K1 (with the new K2 utilizing the L/55 gun).

The smoothbore allows one to use a greater variety of munitions and... I have to be honest... the rifling on that big of a gun cannot be easy or quickly done.

Oh... and there are two Challenger IIs that have been modified to take the L/55 gun for testing.

:P

The reason why we continue to use a rifle is because we place a priority on HESH (High Explosive Squash Head) rounds rather than APFSDS. HESH for some reason I am unsure of is either only usable through a rifle, or is more effective through one. This is because the British Army know that very few opponents that we go against have effective mobile armour, and we prefer not to irradiate everywhere we go :P

The reason why we continue to use a rifle is because we place a priority on HESH (High Explosive Squash Head) rounds rather than APFSDS. HESH for some reason I am unsure of is either only usable through a rifle, or is more effective through one. This is because the British Army know that very few opponents that we go against have effective mobile armour, and we prefer not to irradiate everywhere we go :P

120mm shotshells are so much fun, though! :P