Pics of virtual combat

tank_flash.jpg

Operation Flashpoint, super game (I love realism)!

(I did not make that pic)

And the best realistic game for the future (2006):

Bohemia Interactive's Next Generation game (followup of Operation Flashpoint):

http://www.bistudio.com/games/pc/PC5.jpg

If your not excited yet, buy the PC Gamer from August ;)

Edited by FW200

No it's not eve it's some Babylon 5 game.

I WANT IT NOW! Is it "I've Found Her" the game made by fans? I played a demo once and kept getting lost in hyperspace :D

Operation Flashpoint is beyond words. Freeform gaming at it's best. (See massive review I done of vanilla OFP in Off-topic)

Oh man, good ol' Counter Strike. I remember that game... It was the bee's knees for a while, then I stopped playing it and now I suck =].

I tried playing CS:S and I didn't like it. The graphics are a lot prettier, but it's still not as realistic as I would like it to be.

Weeee.

ROFL chaps! it is indeed Babylon 5, and it is indeed 'Ive found her' !

yeah - i keep getting lost in hyperspace too! bloody hard at the end, but its just fun to finally fly a Starfury around and have some fun!

Shame that the original got canned but i believe that beyond the company being bought out by a***holes, they were way behind schedule anyway..

Great to see some B5 fans still around!

and yeah OFP - one of the best games ever - the only 'soldier sim' out there..

i am so looking forward to the sequel..and their next game..

I watched Season 3 of B5 in one day the other week (great for getting over being dumped)

The best space-opera made real imho - capital ships and fighters slogging it out and they use Newtonian Physics too! (Watch footage of a Starfury change direction, it has to counter any turning motion to stop itself turning)

Babylon 5 mod for Homeworld was fairly good, I didn't play the final mod (if there was one) but it was class.

A mod for Freespace 2 would be good Mmm... beam weapons.

yeah, i had the mod for HW too - i dont know if there was a final mod, but i dont think i got it either - did they have the rotating sections on the Omega's? i cant remember - some of the other mods [i-war? or was that the one IFH was based on?] had proper rotating sections, and i think i was going build one for the Starshatter game as a test.. [i built the 2010 Leonov instead..]

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Season 3 - the best Season imo - when Earthforce turned against Earthforce - that was so sad - it was played out so well, and then the triumph turning into facing the Shadows..

great stuff!

So memorable - i think somewhere along season 4 there was some infighting between the producer, his son and the vfx company that was making B5 - and the latter parted company - the producer's son and his fx company took over the reigns and imho it was very noticable unfortunately..

ive still got an email from stracynski somewhere that i used as part of my final year dessertation on B5 being [along with SAAB] one of the major turning points in sc-fi/vfx/modern-series on television :)

yeah, they were at great pains to point out why everything didnt look and move like aeroplanes [a feature that SAAB felt compelled to stay with for artistic and audience-friendly reasons] - and its so rare to see a series pay attention to this.

ron thornton, and in particular 'mojo' [both vfx people] were major forces behind this and it paid off really well. Starfury's are still one of my favourite sci-fi craft.

thornton was 'troubleshooter' at the studio that made the recent all-cg 'captain scarlet' tv series.

Edited by oikoik

The CG in B5 was the best I've seen in any Tv show, Star Trek is great, but B5 era stuff is model based mostly.

I love the way the start intro changes each series, third being the best I think, I get shivers when the big '5' disappears and the POV swings around B5 to the crescendo of the music.

The ships are gorgeous - Narn heavy cruisers in particular. (And the White Star) It's hard to design ships without ending up deriving from some other show, but B5 did it. I'd love to shake the hands of everyone involved. I'd love to meet Andreas K (G'Kar) especially, he's got such passion for the acting and probably had to sit in make-up for HOURS.

I liked the way that Ivanova was a lesbian too, but they hardly play on it (It's only mentioned specifically when they visit Delenn for that ceremony) - nothing to attract attention to the series but it adds another layer to an already rich universe.

The franchise is definitely begging for a revival or at least a game branch. Perhaps they could introduce a new faction into EVE online.. Earth Alliance :D

The Episode where the 2 Omega's are defending B5 after it breaks off and have to fight off a whole fleet.. brilliant, then the twist at the end.. love it :D

OFF-Topic though...

I'll see if I can get some pics of me from my Planetside days, wonder if anyone has one of me adn some Vanguard tanks. Mmmm Vanguardssss..

yeah, fantastic show and the CG was groundbreaking.

i happen to like the CG in star trek though - sort of mid 90s onwards.. know why?

aside from it actually being technically and artistically good - its actually the same crew from Babylon 5 [and SeaQuest amongst others].

They also re-did the vfx for the re-released re-edit of Star Trek: The [slow] Motion Picture.

yeah, when yoshi [hoshi?] goes for the suicide run, sacrificing herself and her crew to save her comrades - fantastic!

the opening sequence when you get the startling shot of Earth Alliance against Eath Alliance was so cool..

.. but B5 era stuff is model based mostly.

this confuses me!

Edited by oikoik

TNG and Early DS9 were models not CG (I know the later DS9 stuff was CG but I'm not 100% on first series which was roundabout when B5 was airing [1993])

I bought all the TNG DVD sets and think they are the finest episodical sci-fi examples so far.

Babylon 5 being the best Arcing storyline I know of (although I do like Andromeda and the new Battlestar Galactica)

i still think B5 is the best CG in a series - the station looks like it's bump-mapped and the lighting and effects are very rich, in ST it doesn't show as well because of the colouring of the ships (possibly)

Edit: I thought I was the only person that remembered SeaQuest DSV :D

Edited by Psaldorn