quick review of TM HI-CAPA 5.1

God, TM owners are SOOOOO touchy... ;)

Actually, I think the meat tenderiser looks just as silly on the WA SVI Tac Carry... or was it that I DARED to challenge the legend of the Hi Capa?

Steady on.

The HiCapa was only a legend until the 226 came out. That then took up the role of "Best gunz0rz EVAR". ;)

Seriously, I reckon if the HiCapa or 226 were released by KSC or Maruzen they'd just be "okay" or maybe "good". It's just that nobody expects much from Marui and when they release something that is above average everybody freaks out over it.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if the 226 had been released by Maruzen or KSC it probably would have been ignored by almost everybody.

i've heard some stuff about the slide catch breaking after use? any comments?

i'll probably get a metal slide for my future hi capa, and a re-enforced recoil spring too

The slide catch is fine. What can happen is the notch in the slide for the catch to engage can wear down, so the slide doesn't lock back. Happened to mine, so there's a metal slide en route for it. Intriguingly, this still comes out cheaper than getting the equivalent full metal WA pistol... :D

*Goes to flame reviews of all WA guns*

:zorro:

Nothing new there, then :D

Rocky, I've not heard of a slide lock/catch breaking anywhere. Did you read it on a forum somewhere?

Cheers.

Edited by snowman

desert eagle

looks better imo

more powerful

kicks harder ( ALOT )

no variations on it

scares people

hicrapa

faster kick and cycle time

and it doesnt beat the almight deagle on anything else

the extended mag also looks cheap, BUT the metal lower frame i think is its only good point, oh and the high mag capacity

Seriously, I reckon if the HiCapa or 226 were released by KSC or Maruzen they'd just be "okay" or maybe "good". It's just that nobody expects much from Marui and when they release something that is above average everybody freaks out over it.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if the 226 had been released by Maruzen or KSC it probably would have been ignored by almost everybody.

Aha? Maybe people freak out over recent TM guns because they actually work very well out of the box. Which is quite a novelty in the airsoft world, I think, and something that deserves praise.

No reason to freak out (in a positive way, anyway) over KSC or Maruzen guns that go 'snap!' or 'pssshhhhh!' or 'kkkruncchh!' or '...', or indeed all of the above. :P

The slide catch is fine. What can happen is the notch in the slide for the catch to engage can wear down, so the slide doesn't lock back. Happened to mine, so there's a metal slide en route for it. Intriguingly, this still comes out cheaper than getting the equivalent full metal WA pistol... :D

yeah, does flicking the slide catch down after putting a new mag in wear the notch down? because I can't think what else would. If thats the case, I'll be fine, as i normally dont use the catch, just pull the slide back a little and it flicks back of its own accord.

hicrapa

the extended mag also looks cheap, BUT the metal lower frame i think is its only good point, oh and the high mag capacity

As you know Blitz the DE has a capacity of 27+1!!! The hi "crapa" has 30+1 so its not so much different (unless they have brought out some mags like the 50rd glock ones...

Good lord Sledge.. how many (approx) rounds have you put through yours? I have done a few thou with mine, and it is (the slide) still going strong. (mostly running ET1000, propane, but am out of that now so am back down to 134a)

I had my hands on the (insert your brand) Taiwanese metal copy of it, and was impressed but not impressed at the same time.

The hammer pull - nice.

Gas usage - not nice

Fill valve - ooo baby!

Magazine finish- I want TM to do that to theirs

Metal look- like it is brown or something... Hmmmm..

heft- ok..

cycling of the slide- the TM beats it hands down

The trigger-pull felt slightly better than the TM version.

I would still go for the TM 5.1 version after that, with the possibility of getting a metal slide (one of the notched ones, for a bit more lightness), and MAYBE outer barrels(ported :P )

There are times though that the slide lock will not engage, and that is when the temperatures are low. Yesterday playing in a mild 13deg, the slide on the metal 5.1 failed to catch. I also noted that there is a rubber bumper or buffer along the recoil spring guide, close to the "chamber". Any one able to comment on that at all?

I also had my hands on the WA SVI 4.3 Expert, and Snowman, I have to agree with you on the finish of the grip. UGH! I get the feeling that it needs a 'rubberising' agent or something to improve the feel. Mind you, slap a pair of Nomex gloves on and you dont notice it at all.:)

The sights rocked (good ol' larger front post dot to give apparent same size with rear). I really like Novaks. :)

The recoil was nice and crisp, as was the feel of the hammer being moved into its positions. (this is with 134a.)

Gas usage on 134a I was not able to check/test, but I have been told that ET1000 on this thing is NOT efficient with only 1 magazine able to be fired off, and even then only just. Any other comments on gas?

I liked the grip safety 'toughness' to be compressed, but I felt (for my hand ) that the base of it was sticking out a fraction far- just diggin into the meat of my thumb.

The trigger-pull was nicer than both of the 5.1s, but I also only had the one installed to play with (it came with the usual SVI trigger variations).

The accuracy was impressive but nothing to quantify... jus tha tree knot over there about 7m away! :D The hop though, was still crying out for adjustment, as he had not read the instructions as yet (also not familiar with the new SCW adjustments), and as such had only put a magazine or two through the 4.3, indoors with limited range, where the hop up is set great for it!

Can I ask if the hopup on the 4.3 Expert is still as sensitive or fragile as the other earlier SVIs, where people can over-tighten them?

Oops..sorrry.. Didn't mean to drag it off-topic.....

i've heard some stuff about the slide catch breaking after use? any comments?

i'll probably get a metal slide for my future hi capa, and a re-enforced recoil spring too

The slide cath is made of metal so it won't break very easily, but I will get me A metal slide someday and some upgrade parts to get more power,etc..

greetz

desert eagle

looks better imo

more powerful

kicks harder ( ALOT )

no variations on it

scares people

hicrapa

2 each its own I think

But I'm very pleased with my Hi-capa and it can be upgraded so it can maybe perform the same as A desert eagle.

The desert eagle can be a little clumsy I think, could be wrong..

Is the accuracy on a DE good?(just want to know)

cheers

Wege,

Did you read my review of the Armotech before writing your comments? Just interested, not suggesting it affect your views or anything.

Cheers.

Actually. No.. today was the first day that haven't checked your site.. :o I mean.. a month and a 1/2 is a bit for even you!.... Sooo. I will toodle on over.. and have a quick perview.... I mean.. it is 1:38 here in the morning.. and I do have work on the morrow.. :) So... what I have written has not been influenced by you or others.. merely my own (relatively brief) observations. Ooo.. there are a few.. no M1910 though? or should I post it here instead...? :P

Edited by Wege
Intriguingly, this still comes out cheaper than getting the equivalent full metal WA pistol... :D

Yeah, people who spend more than they need to on guns are dumbasses.

Remind me again how much your Marui HiCapa and metal slide are costing?

More or less than the £60 I paid for my HFC HiCapa?

:P

Ahhh Ok.. I see what you mean Snowman. A theory for you as to the gas usage and cool-down differences. Perhaps the added weight in the magazine assists (god knows how) with the lack of cool-down?

I didn't notice until i saw the close up, but the hop-up units are not the same. There appear to be more pieces in the Clone (heyyyy with all of these copies of the TM 5.1, they could be an Attack of Clones :P *sigh*)

http://www.wege.orcon.net.nz/Airsoft/Revie...1%20review.html have a read of this, as this is what I finished back at the start of July, and what I had found-noticed from a skirmishing perspective. Similar issues some different comments. Ah well.

• 3 years later...

Hi folks !

Grats for reviews :)

I just bought a 5.1, and happily it's for a full tuneup setup, I won't let it ugly stock.

For me everything is inside, because all I can see out is iiieeew.

Some details like heavy mag and very light gun was disturbing too.

But I wanted the price and the accuracy/range !

(Without talking about easy aftermarkets parts)

I toyed taking pics of it near my handcannon "Jackal 6 inchnicetomeetyou", currently in filing works.

It's just for curious wanting to see differences between the TM hicapa 5.1 and a WA SCW Expert 6" (sorry for the inch and the metal slide I don't own a shop ^^)

Side view :

cotes.jpg

Looks the same, except the weak TM hammer and the cocked beavertail that wants to touch the sky.

Back view :

arrieres.jpg

ZOMG what's with the scale ? Feel relieved, there is only 5mm in height difference...

Mainly due to the slide rail shape that is really lower on the TM.

We see the different choice of sights (bomar/novak).

Top view :

Looks alike, except sights and slide's sides number (5 for the WA, 7 for the TM, that makes it look like an allen key from the front XD)

culasses.jpg

Under view : The same

Frame :

grips.jpg

The TM seems simplier, but as the WA has the valve stopping mecanism and not the TM...

That's maybe why the TM doesn't have THAT kick :)

Slide :

interieurs.jpg

No really twin point.

I like the hicapa hopup system, because I killed the WA hopup screw quite quickly, I don't mind opening 3 times the slide for setup.

Conclusion : If I were to chose, there would be no hesitation, but as I wanted a standard and an open pistol, I take the best of the two ! XD

I'm pretty sure the modded 5.1 will kick gas erm *albatross* !

Damn, this is one old-skool thread that got dug up. Hilarious too:

Steady on.

The HiCapa was only a legend until the 226 came out. That then took up the role of "Best gunz0rz EVAR". ;)

Haha, the voice of reason. So ludicrous that I also replied to it back in the old days:

WTF