I just experienced birth.

sp00n

(I dont know if you limeys have horse flies, for those not in the know, horse flies are like common flies, except they are *beep* huge and bite.)

So Im sitting here minding my own business, readin email and stuff, and this MASSIVE horse fly lands on my monitor. I knock it away, but it comes back and foils my email reading once again, so now Im really peeved at it. I smack it to the desk, and smash it with a paper towel. I go back to reading the email, and I notice all the little white gut-specs are moving!! Upon closer examination, I noticed they were accually maggots, apparently I had squished the eggsack when I smashed the parent fly! I quickly sprung into action with the previously mentioned paper towel, and scooped up the dead/dying fly and deposited it in the outside trashcan. So that was my night, how was you guys?

Needless to say, I will not be eating anything for the next 12 hours.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice.

I endulged in watching Aliens, then saw a spider. That really was not the time for a spider to appear in front of me, seeing as for the past 2 and a half hours I'd been watching huge men scream "Game over man, game over!" and shoot what were effectively large spiders. So I ran upstairs, fetched the ol' Glock 19, gassed 'er up, and let rip while screaming "GET SOME!" in quite an embarrassing way.

Yes.

I AM DA CRICKET MASTER!!!!!....... i keep geckos... and i can catch a cricket before they know whats hapening........ i catch'd one that had escaped over 3 weeks ago last night.... twas a fast bugger, but i got him/her in the end :P (no there not wild one, i get them in boxes of about 30 for £2.50..... verry fun to dump on pepol for a cheap laugh)

I AM DA CRICKET MASTER!!!!!....... i keep geckos... and i can catch a cricket before they know whats hapening........ i catch'd one that had escaped over 3 weeks ago last night.... twas a fast bugger, but i got him/her in the end :P (no there not wild one, i get them in boxes of about 30 for £2.50..... verry fun to dump on pepol for a cheap laugh)

For some reason that post had me in stiches for ages...

Thanks for that... ;)

THE FOLLOWING IS AN ENTIRELY, 100%, TOTALLY TRUE STORY

Being the sad bugger I am, I bought an Antquarium from IWOOT.com.

It was marvellous, watching all 8 little anties scuttling rounds and digging tunnels...until I found there were only 7. Mildly perplexed, I left the thing on top of my computer and went about my work. I looked in next day, to find...6 ants, digging tunnels...

...then 5...

...then 4...

One day I took to watching them. My my, how amazing they were. Amazing creatures, but harmless...until I found one scuttling up the side and then clinging to the roof of the Antquarium. I watched in amazement as it tried to sqeeze itself through the tiny breathing holes in the lid...and succeeded. I pushed the little bigger back in with the blunt end of pin, and formulated a plan.

I placed 2 1p coins partially over the holes, held in place with blu-tac. It allowed the holes to be about half open, letting the ants breathe but not letting them escape.

I went on holiday to America for 2 weeks.

When I retured...I found one ant going about his business, albeit rather sluggishly, and the other 3 lying dead on the top. It turns out that as the temperature changed, the blu-tac expanded and contracted, and pulled the penny right over the hole, suffocating the ants.

Needless to say I was shocked by this occurance. I threw open the lid, and evacuated the remaining ant (READ: stood in my porch and flicked him out off a stick). Then I dumped the rest in a shady patch at the bottom of the garden, where no-one would discover the bodies and traces of mass anticide.

Yes.

Ant farms intrigue me. Ants are social creatures, that base their actions on hormonal triggers secreted by the Queen. So, these 8 ants, absent of any orders, and unable to think for themselves... They leg it. Why do they leave? Are they looking for the nest? Or, free of the matriarchal society they were once slave to, do they realise their new-found freedom and seek to exploit it (despite not having the means to procreate)?

So many questions...

Ant farms intrigue me. Ants are social creatures, that base their actions on hormonal triggers secreted by the Queen. So, these 8 ants, absent of any orders, and unable to think for themselves... They leg it. Why do they leave? Are they looking for the nest? Or, free of the matriarchal society they were once slave to, do they realise their new-found freedom and seek to exploit it (despite not having the means to procreate)?

So many questions...

Thats deep.

Most ant farm containers are made of magical materials that ants cant really walk on, and the dirt is about an inch or so below the roof..

Archived