CA249, inital impressions.

Screwschom

Later I'll probably buy a CA cloth mag and see how that works out. Has anyone tried one yet?

Loving that 249 Spartan! :) Looks sweet with the RIS. Something I wanted to do with mine, but a RIS handle means I can't fold the bipod :mellow:

I've used one of the CA autowinder cloth mags a few times now, and it feeds flawlessly. You need 3 hands to load it quickly, but other than that, I'm very satisfied with it

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

First of all sorry for my bad english :( .

In my group we have 2 CA MKII, they made about 30.000 - 40.000 shots. We have them upgraded with an M120 Guarder spring wich gives us over forum limits fps... but during the last games we noticed that the performance of the guns went sightly down...

We changed the Springs with brand new Guarder M120 and Systema M120 springs and we tested the guns with our crhono... they made about 340 -350 fps... we are :blink:

What happened? could it be an compression fault with the nozzle or somewhat? we are trully amazed and we need some help.

Thanks for all,

PD: Hillslam help us!!!! ;);)

take off the quick release outer barrel. Pull out the innerbarrel/hopup chamber. spray some silicon around the outside of the hopup chamber. specifically around the o-ring. work the hopup adjustment to get the lube all in there. for good measure spray some down your barrel from the back forward and swab it out.

put it all back together. Make sure the quick release barrels are pushed all the way in.

if you want to take apart the mechbox the first thing I look at is the piston o-ring. oil it up well also.

I've picked up 30-50 lost fps just from oiling and cleaning. thats no joke.

---------------

Can't speak for guarder, but systema springs definitely lose power over time at the rates SAWs use em.

im also having a FPS loss problem. had the GB apart today for the first time, all looks dandy inside, unfortunately i had to mangle one of the bolts that holds the GB in place against the receiver.

is that going to be a problem ?

ive got a tightbore barrel and an m110 spring in mine, and i was getting about 250 fps i think. tbh, ive never cleaned it or had it apart, apart from replacing the barrel. the hop rubber seems to be in properly, as the hop works as i look down the barrel.

im now going to put eh GB back together, new grease, new lube on teh ruber bits, and lots of praying. if it doesnt solve teh problem, ive gotta send it to the shop to get it fixed, because im stumped.

what should i be looking for at the piston end ? i had a bit of dirt and gunk on the cylinder head bit i think its called lol. there wasnt masses of lube in the piston anymore. the o ring is quite a loose fit round the piston, is that right ? the o ring round the cylinder head seems fine. ive cleaned the bits up, and i will re-grease etc.

had a few hundred thousand rounds through totally stock without being cleaned, so im not surprised at its condition tbh. well, i am surprised, surprised how well its held up. some new grease and a clean and it would look like a brand new GB.

I'm getting a little frusterated with my SAW now. I've re-lubed the entire gun and replaced the piston head and the gun is STILL shooting way too low. To make things worse the trigger is now sticking, causing the gun to shoot by itself until the battery is removed. I'm going to take it to my local shop tomorrow and see if they can figure it out.

Where you able to fix the problem with yours screamin_weasel?

I'm getting a little frusterated with my SAW now. I've re-lubed the entire gun and replaced the piston head and the gun is STILL shooting way too low. To make things worse the trigger is now sticking, causing the gun to shoot by itself until the battery is removed.
If you're low on fps in the CA M249 its always compression in one or both of two places: at the hopup chamber or at the pistonhead.

You put silicon oil all over the hopup bucking? Outside and in?

Check the pistonhead ring - its supposed to be loose on the ported head - as the piston compresses the holes allow air to get inside the circumference of the oring and press it out against the cylinder. Don't worry about the circumference as much as the *thickness* of the oring. Its a wee bit thicker (read: better) than a plain jane TM oring. You can find scads of them at your local hardware store though.

-----

As for your trigger sticking don't take it to the store. Like everything else on this wonderfully designed gun: its adjustable!

Just take off the grip assembly (you don't even have to take out the mechbox). The grip assembly comes off by removing the pin to the rear and the pin (a hollow one) just in front of the triggerguard. Then the whole thing drops off the receiver.

Look at the top of it and pull the trigger. You'll see a little armature swing up with a grub screw set into it. That grub screw, by turning it, gets or loses height, thereby adjusting when the mechbox microswitch is activated. Over time and wear it can need adjusting. Just turn it one way or the other, depending on if you need the trigger to activate sooner or later. Give it a small turn, put the pistol back on the gun, test it, repeat until satisfied. Real easy. (remember to put the pins back in before testing the trigger action - it slows your tests down but you're assured the pistol is in its true mounted position that way)

While you've got the pistol off you can shoot some lube up thru the bottom hole into the gearbox.

And check the microswitch for the trigger while you're looking - sometimes when people take the mechbox out and put it back in the microswitch's arm, a little bit of metal, can get bend or kinked or caught on something, causing the problem you're describing.

Hope this helps.

Quick recap:

Use 8.4V batteries if you don't want your piston to strip, at least when the gun is stock.

Parts needed for a 40* fps upgrade: spring.

Watch out for the hopup.

Best replacement piston: TM.

Bipod catch-thingy will wear down.

*: Yes, of course I meant 40 fps. ;)

What I'm missing:

How easy is it to change out the piston?

What do you lube in the gun and box mag to gain those extra 50 or so fps?

How much maintenance is this damn gun gonna take? I have a job, ya know...

Does anyone, sans AustinWolv, regret buying their CA249?

Please refrain from doing the "search n00b" thang. This is a pretty damn long thread, and I've got other stuff to do. :D

The piston is bloody easy to change. Getting to the gearbox couldnt be easier and opening it up is a piece of cake when you have taken out the spring!!!

Lube the piston head so it gives a nice seal, mind you, not too much!

I wont require that much maintainence at all, aslong as you dont use a rediculously high powered battery like I did :P

I do not regret it for a second!

Hope that helps.

I skirmished my MKII with the new MAG box mag today. It is really awesome when you have a functioning mag. The performance really amazed me, I got about 7 people out and held a town for 5 minutes almost singlehandedly one round.

Now I just need a CAW M79 and some nades...

• 3 weeks later...

Get the MAG cloth mag, its lighter and smaller, but hold just as much ammo, other than that chopping the barrel and stripping off metal parts for plastic ones are really the only options left. Im going to be selling a STAR M249 in the near future if you're interested, its much more mobile :D

I've only seen one STAR in use, and it broke down pretty quick. I could probably dual-wield those things though. :D

I do have the Mag mag already though. I think what I'll do is get a foregrip, and for looks slap on a RAS, RIS, and railed feed cover. I don't want to lose range, or the battery capacity, as those are the main selling points of the MKII anyway.

I've only seen one STAR in use, and it broke down pretty quick. I could probably dual-wield those things though. :D

I do have the Mag mag already though. I think what I'll do is get a foregrip, and for looks slap on a RAS, RIS, and railed feed cover. I don't want to lose range, or the battery capacity, as those are the main selling points of the MKII anyway.

I was going to recommend this exact thing. A pistol grip foregrip on a RAS made my 249 a lot easier and more fun to use. I would also suggest ditching the bipod because it makes the gun really front heavy, but that might not be your thing if you like to use it.

If I am not mistaken, shortening the barrel will not effect your range, as long as the weapon FPS remains the same. as for batter capacity, putting a para stock will obviously defeat that possibility. So I reccomend a full stock with a para length barrel, atleast that is what I plan to do...

Archived