CA249, inital impressions.

Screwschom

my friend's 249's gearbox got lock up. after opening it, I discovered that the m120 spring installed was broken in half, and the sector gear was sitting at a weird angel because the its bearing bush warped. I don't know which occured first that cause the other to fail. any idea what might've caused this?

I plan to replace the busted bearing w the King Arms 8mm bearing bushing since CA doesn't have spare ones on retail.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ive bought the CAM249 brit para version. ive drilled and tapped the top cover and fitted a proper R.I.S rail and also fitted a SUSAT to it so it looks like the ral brit para ones now in use in afgan, iraq etc...

when i get some decent photos i will post.

i also have a R.I.S hand guard fitted to the front of the weapon in stead of the moulded hand guard as i wanted a big battery but obviously quite hard to do with the para version.

to over come this i got a DPM sat nav pouch and simply bolted this onto the front right side where the battery conectors are. this did not require and modification or damage done to the weapon. i dont really need the R.I.S hand guard but i find it more comfortable then the plastic hand guard. the pouch does not look out of place on the gun either as it is nice and worn in.

with the pouch i have been able to fit in a star L85 custom battery (3300ma's) this does last quite a bit and i can change out the battery very quickly with this is well which is handy.

only problem is geting a good box mag for it. i have the MAG 2500 rnd box mag and a CA 2500 box mag. both of which jam constantly , although any hi-cap i have feeds no probs , currently i am using the D-BOYS hi-caps and ics and ca hi-caps all work no probs.

i think i have fixed the MAG box mag but not entirely shure yet. if any one knows of a fix for the CA box mag please let me know!

apart from that a vey good weapon tbh.

sorry for the long post! lol

Im getting my mark 1 next week Im just wondering if any one can give me run down on what versions each part is for the gear box...

second question i head a lot of things about the hop up needing minute, adjustments, what is the science behind that? more important what is the correct way to adcust it?

Lastly the box mag, i saw (excuse the pun) that some one was talking about fitting the box mag stuff into a real steel box magazine, any one actually done this or had any sucsess with that? or whats the best way to actually keep that up and working cause i play in Cali, and its not so hot up here but I saw some concerns about the heat....

Thats all my questions :)

Hi all

If I were to build a CA Based MK46 (Para Stock) what would be the best way?

I'm thinking

-CA249 Para

-CA Upper RIS

-CA Lower RAS OR G&P RAS

CA RAS & RIS as seen here

http://www.classicarmy.com/catalogue/305_c1_riSLeaflet.jpg

G&P RAS as seen here

http://www.gp-web.com/en/productspop.php?pid=74

Do the CA pieces fit together alright or is there anything which makes the G&P Lower RAS a better option??

I am looking for the most Painfree conversion :D, I will need to be able to use one of the side rails as I'd like to use a PEQ for the battery.

I've been told that if you used the G&P Lower RAS and CA Upper RIS that you cant use the Side Rails.

Many Thanks :D:D

Supportgunner,

Silas has informed us that the G&P top railed feed cover will fit and did not make any mention of any sort of modifications. I have also read that the G&P lower RAS goes on without any modification. I have purchased a G&P lower RAS myself and plan to be fitting it on a CA249 that I am buying shortly

Supportgunner,

Silas has informed us that the G&P top railed feed cover will fit and did not make any mention of any sort of modifications.  I have also read that the G&P lower RAS goes on without any modification.  I have purchased a G&P lower RAS myself and plan to be fitting it on a CA249 that I am buying shortly

Please inform us how it goes :D

I've a friend who had installed the CA Upper RAS and G&P Lower RAS on a M249 MKII and he said they did not fit very well together, because of the design of the MKII he had to dremel some parts away but apparently with the Para you dont have to dremel these parts away.

He also claimed that you couldnt use the side rails with the CA Upper RAS and G&P Lower RAS together (I never actually saw the gun, just photos, it seems odd that you wouldnt be able to use the side rails...)

Hmm. Static posted earlier in this thread that the G&P lower RIS fit on his weapon just fine but his was a para, perhaps that is the issue, but what could possibly be different between the mkII and the para? As for the upper RIS I have no idea how or why the side rails would not work, that is something to look into though

I think its something to do with the barrels (cant remember exactly what it was though so maybe some other people can answer that!).

I remember reading about it in the first 1/3 of the thread. I think the MKII had a piece which was welded on whereas the Para had a piece which was screwed on.

Just browsed through the entire thread (phew!) It was stated earlier that there IS a difference in mounting a lower RIS to a mkII and a para, the mkII requires a bit of dremeling on a bracket where the handguards are attached apparently.

Can anyone inform me if there is a guide on how to wire the stock boxmag to either have a pressure switch activation or activation on the pull of the trigger. I could of swore seeing one before in this thread but I do not see it anymore. Any help?

Hey guys, i hate to do this but unfortunately i cant sift through 85 pages in this thread and the search function yielded nothing so ill ask this here.

Two buddies of mine just purchased an mkII and the safety on the gun is so stupidly loose its not even funny. When you shake the gun from side to side the safety wobbles from safe to auto.

Im going to tear the gun down to diagnose the problem but i figured having a concrete answer as to what is wrong before i go in there would help me fix the problem that much sooner.

Can anyone help me with this issue?

the tightener bolt is not fully fastened down.

OR the little ball bearing (spring loaded) in the tip of that bolt has fallen out.

If its the former, just turn it a few more screws in and you're set. If its the latter you're going to have to locate a ball bearing the right size, and put it back in the tip of the bolt, with the spring in behind it, then crimp the end so it stays in. Put the bolt back in, tighten it down until the safety action is how you like it and go on your merry way.

You get to the safety by pulling off the grip subassembly. That's attached to the receiver by two pins. One near the back that also holds the stock on (it has a cotter pin holding it in, pull that off then hammer the main puin out). The other is a hollow pin in front of the trigger - hammer that one out too and the whole subassembly lifts away. Here a pic of the area - you can see the front hollow pin on the left and you can just barely see the rear pin on the right (you can also make out its cotter pin).

gallery_9287_528_7790.jpg

Here's a better view showing the location of the the back pin

gallery_9287_528_58868.jpg

Sorry no pics of the safety tightening bolt, but you can't miss it once you pull the subassembly off: You will see the safety bolt's hex shaped head on the top - its brass.

Heh, apparently the ballbearing is missing, nice of CA to not include one from the factory.

Hillslam, could you give me an approximation of how large that ball bearing is supposed to be?

I also want to make sure that we are on the same page here as to where that ball bearing belongs.

I am assuming it goes in the U shaped recesses on the safety bar?

Archived