CA249, inital impressions.

Screwschom

I am over 7500 rounds... Microswitch meltdown solved (using the stock switch), zero piston issues so far, and the boxmag is feeding great - but you have to maintain maximum spring tension if you overload it (with more than 2300-2400 rounds). I rerouted the winding button to the forearm, that's a must.

From shouldered position you can lay down precise, withering suppressive fire. While covering the advance of your mates, the boxmag can empty out FAST. When charging fortified positions, bunkers, or fighting in a woodland scenerio the CA249 is one bad mofo.

I love it! :)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So whats the final verdict from CA M249 owners - 8.4v large (seems to have some fitting issues?) or 9.6v large (CA and A2 say this is a bad idea).

Getting my 8.4v 3300 mah GP celled large battery in to the gun is VERY hard, but possible, barely, and ROF is pretty decent. But I've just ordered a 9.6v 3300 mah GP cell battery as well (for my ICS m4) which I'll be testing as soon as it arrives.

Well, after some trouble with piston and gears, my CA249 is shooting great. I shot about 3000 rounds today at a game. Not a single problem. I downgraded to 8.4v 3300 with prometheus gears, TM stock piston, systema pom piston head with bearing, and m120s.

My previously 249 had a mishap when I installed a titanium tooth piston. THere was a jam and caused the piston to tear up the systema gears. So my advice is stick with polycarb pistons...it will be cheaper to replace those. Aside from that, a bushing got torn up. 8mm bushings are hard to find. But thanks to google I found replacement bushings...but at $50US for a set of 10.

I just took delivery of mine tonight and spent some time tryingto fit three different batteries in it. Two nunchuk minis (both 9.6v - one 1100mah and one 1700mah) and a large 8.4v ended up fitting fine, but you have to work the wires abit.

First off, the cons: I'm not terribly happy with how the inner barrel seats inside the outer barrel. On mine I saw a single floating spacer and that was it.

Overall the gun rocks, and it turned out to be as much of a size and weight brute that I'd hoped it'd be.

But... but, but, but... before I even fired a single round thru it when I was checking ROF with an 8.4 and a weak 9.6 batt the trigger jammed and I had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop firing (safety did nothing, wiggling trigger did nothing - it must have been the microswitch for me as well). I will be attending to THAT right away and I recommend everyone else with a CA249 at least take a look at theirs as well. Would have sucked if I had had a mag inserted....

Other than that one thing, she's a beauty. I will say the stock connection though it looks iffy, seems solid. But I woulsdn't trust that carry handle at all, even if the reality is its fine, I'll be two-handing my around.

*Need* a padded sling.

Oh and if you fire from the shoulder your forward arm will be carrying almost all of the gun weight. Just fyi. Work those delts! :)

I'll try to take some vids with fully charged 9.6v and 8.4v batteries using the stock spring and an M120 spring when I get some time free. BTW- my box mag is really quiet compared to the sound in Enzo's vid. Might have been his mic placement, but mine is nearly silent.

Adding a pic to show size and color compared to an ICS M4

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go cuddle with it in the corner...

I am over the 10k round mark with the CA249. The gun, the boxmag feeds great, I can easily hit human sized targets at 40 meters.... However there are new problems with the gun.

First of all, this pot metal part broke on both sides (it's an extremely weak design, perhaps on purpose, to make ppl buy the steel kit):

pos.jpg

The bipod bracket is also gonna die pretty soon.

Another problem appeared when I chrono'd my 249. Despite the good performance on the field, the gun produced only 270-280fps with .25BB and Guarder SP110 spring!!! Looks like I have an ugly air leak somewhere in the system. How can I check that? What parts you guys recommend for replacement? Nozzle? Piston?

Any tips welcomed!

I am over the 10k round mark with the CA249. The gun, the boxmag feeds great, IAnother problem appeared when I chrono'd my 249. Despite the good performance on the field, the gun produced only 270-280fps with .25BB and Guarder SP110 spring!!! Looks like I have an ugly air leak somewhere in the system. How can I check that? What parts you guys recommend for replacement? Nozzle? Piston?

Any tips welcomed!

check and clean the inner barrel if you havent already done so.

First of all, this pot metal part broke on both sides (it's an extremely weak design, perhaps on purpose, to make ppl buy the steel kit):

user posted image

The bipod bracket is also gonna die pretty soon.

Exact same failure commonly occurred on the TOP version. Ah, just goes to show how copying a design exactly without understanding it helps pass along the inherent weaknesses also.

AustinWolv,

The safety getting very loose is also a TOP specialty? :) I spent half an hour to fix that... With minimal extra engineering (somewhere at the level of a 14 year old crafty kid) CA could have made a MUCH better design. The whole bipod bracket assy is a piece of ###### - the parts, the mounting, etc... Sometimes I wonder, when will we see ROCK SOLID AEGs (whatever is the price tag).

KeyserSoze,

I inspected the barrel, it's straight and (to my surprise) mirror clean. Replaced the torn CA hop-up (with Marui). What's next? Greasing the piston? Replacing the nozze?

AustinWolv,

The safety getting very loose is also a TOP specialty? :) I spent half an hour to fix that... With minimal extra engineering (somewhere at the level of a 14 year old crafty kid) CA could have made a MUCH better design. The whole bipod bracket assy is a piece of ###### - the parts, the mounting, etc... Sometimes I wonder, when will we see ROCK SOLID AEGs (whatever is the price tag).

KeyserSoze,

I inspected the barrel, it's straight and (to my surprise) mirror clean. Replaced the torn CA hop-up (with Marui). What's next? Greasing the piston? Replacing the nozze?

On TOP guns, it was common for the bracket in the picture you posted to break also. In addition, just like what will happen with the CA version from my short time inspecting it, the little nubs on the bipod bracket (where the bipod locks into place when deployed) will wear away. Lastly, the other common breakage on the TOP version was the bracket at the front of the pistol grip that held it to the receiver....it too would often break.

Carefully take the microswitch apart (remove the crosspin), clean and polish the burnt contacts (the polishing is important). Put it togther, then solder a small capacitor to the microswitch, which will reduce chance of spark formation. Make sure you can reinstall the swicth after mod.

There is also a better fix by soldering two extra parts to the switch, more about that later.

Thx for the info Thrasher. What size capacitor? - got my 249 apart as we speak mulling over this microswitch

EDIT: put about 2,000 rounds thru it this weekend so I'm at about 5,000rds total. So far so good. All with the stock internals and probably 75% of them with an 8.4v and the rest with a 9.6v. Minimal hopup dialed in. No problems yet (minus that one stick with the trigger the day I got it).

Archived